School me on hitch racks for 2020 Subaru Outback

Just got a 2020 Subaru Outback and looking to get a hitch installed. Hitch will be used primarily for a bike rack.

Suggestions and tips on what to get would be greatly appreciated!
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Check craigslist/facebook marketplace. Scored brand new Curt 2" for my Forester. $40 Lots of hitches for sale on there usually.

I have a 1-up bike rack, and I prefer the 2" hitch for this as it's way more solid connection than the 1.25". I'm sure the 1.25" is just fine tho. Some smaller vehicles are hard to find 2" hitches for, but the Outback that's not the case, so why not just get a 2" it's more versatile for other things.

x2 on the 2" hitch. Gives you more options for racks.

Biggest question for racks is tray style vs hang style. I prefer tray style because it's more secure and your bikes don't swing into each other. They are more $$ though and really are only good for two bikes. The four bike ones get a bit sketch IMO.

Awesome tips! And yeah, was wondering about the advantages of the 2" rack. Makes sense to me!

For a rack system, I really do like the One UP double but surprised on how expensive it is. Oh well, maybe I can find a deal somewhere.

Regarding hitch install. I haven't looked but assuming the newer Outbacks already have mount holes/locations? Hoping this is the case so I can do the hitch install myself and save a little bit of money.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

2” is the ONLY way to go. I’m using a Yakima hitch rack (I think it’s in its 4th or 5th generation?) and it’s great. Carries every bike I have from 27.5 x 4” to 700x 23c, all rock solid.

https://www.yakima.com/holdup-evo
    Gravity. It's the law.

2” if you can, though my 1.25” is fine, really. Only issue is I couldn’t find a 4 bike tray for it.

I really like my Yakima Dr Tray. Spendy, maybe, but super solid and easy to use.
    focus.

I haven't ever done one on the new Outbacks, but the two hitches I've installed (on a Honda Fit and a Ford Transit Connect) were pretty easy even as a one person job. Looking at etrailer.com though, it seems that most of the hitches for the 2020 Outbacks are rated as more difficult of an install. It seems like you have to remove some bumper clips. Both of the reviews though say that they did it themselves without much trouble. Etrailer is a good resource. If you buy a hitch that they carry second hand, you can usually find mounting instructions there. For example: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...ID=20205001646

I'm with everyone and much prefer tray racks for carrying bikes. If cost is an issue, I've had no problems with my Swagman XTC rack. It doesn't look nearly as pretty as my friends' much nicer racks, but it just won't die so I don't have an excuse to get a new one. It takes me no longer to get my bike in and out than it does them and I haven't had any issues with how it holds the bike (I did add foam pipe insulation over the arms to make the contact point both softer and more secure and to give it that extra ghetto look). As an added bonus, that basic style tray rack fits the extra long wheelbases of modern XL DH and Enduro bikes, whereas a lot of the nicer racks top out at 48-50 in wheelbases (1UP being the exception). That's actually what prevented me from buying a nicer midrange tray rack last time I had to replace the wheel trays of the Swagman due to my wife's backup skills.

Will I get a "nicer" rack when this one dies? Probably, but for no real functional reason if I'm not somewhere that I'm basically offroading to the trail head.

I would like the ability to fold it up though, so I wouldn't have to choose between taking it off all the time or paying new rack money to the owners of cars my wife backs into, but something like this would probably be fine (I don't have experience with the brand, but seems the same thing but folding): https://www.amazon.com/BV-2-Bike-Bic...0942373&sr=8-1

etrailer.com is a good resource on hitches and will have info on how to mount it.
    I like the Kuat tray mount for 2 bikes, but is pricy. CL may get you a Yakima or something else a bit less costly.

How many bikes will you need to haul?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I helped a friend install a 2" hitch on a 2018 Outback - I think they are pretty much the same as a 2020? I had to drill holes (1 1/4" hole saw) in the frame, which is a pain in the ass compared to other hitches I have done but the whole job still took less than an hour. I recommend long sleeves and safety glasses. Also beer. Oh, and getting the rubber exhaust hangers off was actually the biggest pain. Recommend more beer.

Sell Lesbaru and get a 1999 XJ.
    watch out for snakes