Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moving to Switzerland

Anyone have any experience with living, working, playing in Switzerland? Specifically southern (Lugano, near the Italian border)? We will be moving there in the next 6 months most likely and I'm wondering if it's going to be as great as it looks at first glance. Mainly climbers and skiers, though probably wouldn't take much convincing to take up mountain biking as well.

Thoughts? Experiences? Things to do or not do?

They have ski racks on the motherfucking trains!
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Swissland is the best place in the whole entire world...if you can afford it.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

As a ‘murican living in Zurich... it’s awesome.

Plan your shopping ahead as stuff isn’t open 24hrs. Make friends with the Swissies - lots will fit stereotype and won’t take you up on it, but those that do will be tons of fun. Take advantage of the outdoors. Few places in the world with the kind of access we have here.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Pretty sure you'll be having a snifter of this after a good meal or ski day. When can I come to ski with you?
    Name:  Genepy.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  45.3 KB
    Genepy

My parents lived near Thusis CH for many years so it was a quick drive to Bellinzona / Lugano etc. but in the winter / fall that zone was often super foggy. That N - S axis often had dramatically different weather which we used to our advantage and you will too.

Monte Tamaro has good lift served mtn biking and outstanding views.

The valley east of Chiavenna is worth getting to (Soglio etc). Btw driving along the two big lakes to get NE from Lugano can be spectacular and efficient in the mornings but a painful slow slog in the afternoons.

I guess my point here is that if you’re flexible about where and when to go, you can minimize crowds and bad weather. Lugano should be a great basecamp in that regard. Years ago I nearly moved to Bergamo for work but Lugano would’ve been much better location for me anyway. Andermatt access, etc Stoked for you & your family.

Spent a semester in the Lugano area back in college. I don't have a ton to add other than to say I would go back and live there in a heartbeat if given the opportunity. The most beautiful place on earth that I've had had the opportunity to visit. I was there in the fall so didn't have the chance to do a ton of skiing (especially nearby), but did take an early season trip over to Tignes and visited a buddy who was living in Chamonix at the time. You can catch a cheap flight or train ride virtually anywhere in Europe it seemed.

Monte Generoso had some pretty rad mountain biking as well, but we mostly just hiked around the area.

I've been tempted to make a similar move myself more than once. I love Switzerland and Lugano is in a great location for all kinds of great fun. You're bound to have a good time exploring around and getting involved with all there is to be had. Is this a job situation? Someone must really like to you to offer you this, it that's the case. I'd do it in a heartbeat if not for all the baggage of family and all. As Sam above me noted; it's the most beautiful place on the planet in my opinion. I'm particularly fond of the Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen region but Lugano is very similar, as are all the ranges in the Alps. I'm jealous.

There’s that BJ coffee shop.... there’s a link in the special collection thread

Quote Originally Posted by bw_wp_hedonism View Post
    As a ‘murican living in Zurich... it’s awesome.

Plan your shopping ahead as stuff isn’t open 24hrs. Make friends with the Swissies - lots will fit stereotype and won’t take you up on it, but those that do will be tons of fun. Take advantage of the outdoors. Few places in the world with the kind of access we have here.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    What's the tax situation living there with a pension as income?

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    edit: i have absolutely no clue about swiss taxes (sorry i misread), but usually they are really low compared to germany. around 20% if you work. BUT health insurance is quite expensive.
    In general if you can get by:
    depends on your pension. If it's more than 5000$ per month you'll be ok. otherwise..... to put it in perspective: a "minimum wage" cashier at a supermarket chain like aldi makes 4000+ chf which is the same in dollars. a teacher in my position makes 10.000-11.000 chf, but teachers in ch are paid quite well.

to the og poster: ticino is super nice, warm and sunny crystal clear lakes, superb food. excellent climbing and bouldering ( 3 world class spots), good to world class skiing/touring in 2hours (south AND north of the alps.). Just the western alpes are a bit trickier to reach if you dont want to go to the italian side of them..
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Teachers are on 100+ a year in Switzerland? That is crazy! (not a bad thing just so different to Canada)

Well. I make about 60% of that here in Germany, but the cost of living is about half of ch. They swarm our city to shop themselves unconscious.
    You have to see that the median income in ch is about 80k.
    In short: they are fucking rich.
    On the other hand: a three room apartment in Zurich is 2500+.
    And a modest house starts at 1million. So there is that...

^^ It all works in relative terms.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Where do Immodest houses start?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    I've been tempted to make a similar move myself more than once. I love Switzerland and Lugano is in a great location for all kinds of great fun. You're bound to have a good time exploring around and getting involved with all there is to be had. Is this a job situation? Someone must really like to you to offer you this, it that's the case. I'd do it in a heartbeat if not for all the baggage of family and all. As Sam above me noted; it's the most beautiful place on the planet in my opinion. I'm particularly fond of the Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen region but Lugano is very similar, as are all the ranges in the Alps. I'm jealous.
    It would actually be so that she can go back to school for her masters. She's an Italian citizen, which makes some of the visa stuff easier in a way. Still have to figure out the financials, whether or not I can find work, etc. We're really hoping we can find a way to make it work for a year, but it's definitely a lot of moving pieces.

Well. I make about 60% of that here in Germany, but the cost of living is about half of ch. They swarm our city to shop themselves unconscious.

In general, teaching salaries in Europe are so much better than what we teachers make here in the US though! We're strongly considering living across the Italian border because the cost of living is so much cheaper, and just having her commute to school a few days a week across the border.

Yeah I'd do that. Lugano area is super expensive. Italy is a lot cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Where do Immodest houses start?
    Heh. Swiss and their houses are always modest. They just have more rooms and look like a chateau at the lake. 9.5million and it's yours.
    https://www.immowelt.ch/expose/998f2...able_trovit_ch

Quote Originally Posted by viglio View Post
    It would actually be so that she can go back to school for her masters. She's an Italian citizen, which makes some of the visa stuff easier in a way. Still have to figure out the financials, whether or not I can find work, etc. We're really hoping we can find a way to make it work for a year, but it's definitely a lot of moving pieces.
    Kind of complicated. Good luck, hope it works out. It would be a great experience.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    I confess I don’t know for pension income.

Note here we are talking 3 room not 3 bedroom
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Just on the sports side of it, that area/Ticino has some of the best whitewater kayaking in Europe. The Verzasca is a dream. Also seems like a popular naked sunbathing spot if paddling isn't your thing...

Over the border in Piedmont is lots more of the same.

The Lower Sesia is a great beginner/intro to whitewater section. Big and deep (no rocks), but the water is still crystal clear. Much more inviting than the glacial silt freight trains in other parts of the Alps.

These would probably be the people to speak to to learn (no personal experience with them): http://www.sesiarafting.it/en/activities/kayak-valsesia

Quote Originally Posted by geo039 View Post
    Note here we are talking 3 room not 3 bedroom
    I was gonna say all this sounds very cheap compared to Whistler. 3 bedrooms these days go for 4.5k a month, 1.5m to own.
    3 rooms seems to be much more on par with what we pay.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    I was gonna say all this sounds very cheap compared to Whistler. 3 bedrooms these days go for 4.5k a month, 1.5m to own.
    3 rooms seems to be much more on par with what we pay.
    FYI Housing in CH cities and towns like Zug is about the same pricewise as housing in Van. Housing in the resorts is not as pricey as housing in Whistler (basic supply and demand)