Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Hip.

New Hip.

Left Hip replaced 1/16/2020. Anterior approach.

If you have questions I may have answers.

Anterior approach?

Was the doctor using the whole fist?
    Moooooon River!
    . . .

"Anterior" means front. The word I believe you're looking for is "Posterior".

Depends on which way you're facing?

Hmmm, but...well, nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Depends on which way you're facing?
    Exactly. The doctor was “approaching anterior”

Ps, enjoy the thread drift

Pps, glad the hip is good iceman. Several folks I know regret not doing a hip replacement sooner. A good buddy was a great skier, turned into a slug, and after surgery skied better than I seen in a decade. I had no idea how much pain he was in.
    May you ski like you used to. It’s possible
    . . .

Godspeed!

Damn, so how you doing, mang? You home and doing PT? Let me know if you need anything.

I'm doing pretty well. Yeah I'm home, only spent 1 night in the hospital. First ~10 days were pretty rough, leg was super swollen and pretty painful and didn't really change but since then it's been getting a little better every day. Hip itself feels good. Leg is still a bit fuct where they had to go through stuff to get at the hip.

There's some PT but they say the main thing by far is walking. Yesterday I walked a mile without too much problem. Sore as shit later on though. But fine again this AM. There's just a limit and when you go past it you know it. Ice and elevation are still a good thing. I use a cane for the first few steps until shit loosens up a little and then I pretty much just carry it around with me.

Another few weeks and I should be rolling I think, but we'll see. I'm all set on cbd stuff since I haven't wanted to put anything on it that they didn't okay.

Pool if it's an option.

Are you planning to ski anymore?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

C, I dunno. I haven't been feeling it but maybe as I get back together that'll change. I'd have to ski different I think. I guess we'll see how I feel and what the doc says and play it by ear. There's not much doubt my best skiing is behind me, not so sure if it's worth it especially since I need to get the other hip done eventually too. We'll see.

Wanna buy a nice condo?

Just kidding, N. is determined to keep the place.

Everyone’s different, but my main ski partner is stronger since he got the new hip. Old one was a mess.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

keep moving...just keep moving

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    C, I dunno. I haven't been feeling it but maybe as I get back together that'll change. I'd have to ski different I think. I guess we'll see how I feel and what the doc says and play it by ear. There's not much doubt my best skiing is behind me, not so sure if it's worth it especially since I need to get the other hip done eventually too. We'll see.

Wanna buy a nice condo?

Just kidding, N. is determined to keep the place.
    You'll ski better than before.
    Don't say that your best skiing is behind you.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Don't say that your best skiing is behind you.
    Right now I'm still dinged so I'm sure that's shaping my viewpoint. But I don't see how I could just let it go and point em, maybe I'm wrong. Part of it is 2 years ago I got hurt on the second day so that's all I skied. Last year got sketchier and sketchier as the hip deteriorated, I didn't have much fun at all. And this year I'm out again. And in 2 months I'll be fuckin 60. I dunno.

I don't mean to be defeatist but I've skied a long fuckin time and there's other shit to do.

New Hip.

Last year I basically took the year off because there was so much pain in my knee that if I dropped into anything I would collapse. I had a Cortizone shot and my first run this year was off the tram at JH to the Hobacks. It was with my friends, and it’s not like I forgot how fun it was...but it was fucking fun. Mentally, last season I kinda had moved on, but skiing is way too cool to stop.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Whoa, WHOA. WHOA!!!!

Slow down there big fella; waaaay to early to be making such momentous decisions. Give it time.

And 60?? Yer just getting to the good part! Don't be afraid to dial it back a notch and explore other aspects of skiing that, shall we say, youth can't appreciate. Once you get through the bitterness of how "unfair" it all is (aging and shit) you'll come out the other side with a whole new outlook.

Look, I'm sure I'll be in Utah next Christmas. Everything I need to ski is there, I even have days on my pass. So I'll be there, and everyone will go skiing, and wtf am I gonna do? Snowshoe? I know I'll strap them on and go out on the hill and that's where the rubber meets the road here in mixed-metaphor land. We'll see how it goes. And decide from there.

AMEN brah!
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Although palm trees and sand between my toes and a fat doobie do sound pretty good...

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Right now I'm still dinged so I'm sure that's shaping my viewpoint. But I don't see how I could just let it go and point em, maybe I'm wrong. Part of it is 2 years ago I got hurt on the second day so that's all I skied. Last year got sketchier and sketchier as the hip deteriorated, I didn't have much fun at all. And this year I'm out again. And in 2 months I'll be fuckin 60. I dunno.

I don't mean to be defeatist but I've skied a long fuckin time and there's other shit to do.
    I'm 71, and still ski strong.
    Imo, the secret is lifting heavy weights, lots of morning biking and skinning, in addition to resort skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I'm 71, and still ski strong.
    Imo, the secret is lifting heavy weights, lots of morning biking and skinning, in addition to resort skiing.

Holy shit, really? From reading your posts and seeing your ski pics I would have guessed you were in your 40's. Strong work!

Learn to tele ski. It’ll force you to slow it down at first.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Learn to tele ski. It’ll force you to slow it down at first.
    Yeah ‘cause falling on a hip replacement is so much fun

Iceman, at some point we all have our best skiing days behind us. But having seen my ski buddy after hip replacement it’s a hudge improvement. You probably skied like shit the last five years, so the next ten will be a 20 year rewind in ability and fun.
    . . .