Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New Hip.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Left Hip replaced 1/16/2020. Anterior approach.

If you have questions I may have answers.
    C, I dunno. I haven't been feeling it but maybe as I get back together that'll change. I'd have to ski different I think. I guess we'll see how I feel and what the doc says and play it by ear. There's not much doubt my best skiing is behind me, not so sure if it's worth it especially since I need to get the other hip done eventually too. We'll see.

Wanna buy a nice condo?

Just kidding, N. is determined to keep the place.
    Hope skiing brings you joy again soon Iceman.

I know a snowboarder that would ski with you. He happens to have an affinity for the green.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    I know a snowboarder that would ski with you. He happens to have an affinity for the green.
    haha, I'll keep that in mind for next year, R.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I just noticed this. You had the replacement so you are on your way to improving. I think boating could be harder than skiing on the hips. stay active, best of luck on the recovery. I just had shoulder surgery friday. Thought I would be skiing again Wednesday. Not sure now. This whole aging thing sucks.
    IMHO: Shoulder surgery hurts way more than the hip.

Hips are no big deal. Left hip anterior approach 2/13/2013.
    Probably 500+ days skiing since then, over 400 in just the last three.
    I just avoid hard bumps.

Walking in the pool and doing a lot of ROM movements helped me the most.

FWIW

Total shoulder regarded as most painful surgery.

People often say hip hurts less post op than the preop hip pain.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

I just saw a health note that said Vitamin D really helps after hip replacement.
    Not gonna tell ya to rub the cream on the achey crackling shit, cause you know that.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    FWIW

People often say hip hurts less post op than the preop hip pain.
    100% true. Within a couple of weeks, less than pre-op.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Sounds good J. Hope things continue to heal well!
    haha, I'll keep that in mind for next year, R.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Curious if you got any skiing in this year before the shit hit the fan. I took a bicycle spill last Labor Day and had total hip replacement (posterior) the next day. Just a few weeks before my brother had offered to pay for a trip to Colorado to ride for my 60th. He lives in Austin and would drive with a couple of road bikes. When i fell i thought the trip was off, but I never canceled my flight.

I was able to walk with a walker the next day and then without a walker 2 days later. I had a couple of in-house rehabs and then a couple at a rehab place. Once i got on the bike at a rehab place it felt really good and I thought i had a chance for the trip. Rehab lady laughed when i told her and then I checked with my doc who also thought i was nuts.

Long story short I went on the trip 5 weeks after surgery and had a great time. Rode to the top of Vail pass from Frisco day 1, and lesser rides for the next 2 days. I had no stamina but otherwise my hip was not that sore. I got about a dozen ski days in this season and after the initial fear of falling the first couple of days it was not a big deal. I'm sure I'm not the skier that most on here are, so it's not like I'm killing the mountain, but i was pretty close to where i was previously.

I did a bit of indoor cycle classes and I agree with Mazderati on pool time. I never liked swimming indoors, but i forced myself to get into it and was swimming 2500 meters a few times a week and that really felt good and loosened things up. I had gotten a spring pass at Killington and was curious to see how it held up in soft bumps, but....

I'm sure you'll be out there next year if you don't kill yourself by then.
    Heal fast.