Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Hip.

Well yesterday was only 3 weeks since the operation and my leg still hurts quite a bit but it's bound to feel better and stronger in a few months so one step at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Right now I'm still dinged so I'm sure that's shaping my viewpoint. But I don't see how I could just let it go and point em, maybe I'm wrong. Part of it is 2 years ago I got hurt on the second day so that's all I skied. Last year got sketchier and sketchier as the hip deteriorated, I didn't have much fun at all. And this year I'm out again. And in 2 months I'll be fuckin 60. I dunno.

I don't mean to be defeatist but I've skied a long fuckin time and there's other shit to do.
    Kinda where I am now. And there is no hip Problem. It is something else. I am skiing on one foot. I ain't the man I used to be.

It's like sitting in the chair and watching everyone else dance. I used to be the man. But not anymore. Not going home with the prom queen tonight.

Hope this gets you back to your happy place.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Hope you’re moving well, soon. When my mom had her hip replaced about 5 years ago she kept hearing others say how great they felt within the first few weeks. She ended up pretty depressed because it took her about 6-8 months to feel really good again. But it was great in the end, just took a while. Now she needs the other one done but is procrastinating on it.

When did you first start to feel pain? I’m not quite 50 but have started having hip pain. .
    Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Come for the poo-slinging, Save a fortune on a plumber.

Well with me it was pretty simple, 2 years ago I wasn't paying attention and I crashed on a cat track at solitude on the 2nd day of the season and went flying off the side and landed on my hip and basically broke my hip off (broke both columns of the acetabula, technically). For about a year afterwards it was improving until it was pretty close to normal in function and strength, but it turned arthritic and went downhill pretty fast for a year and here we are.

The other hip, I popped it out of the socket for a milisecond (subluxed it) about 6 years ago and it's never been quite right since, and it turned arthritic too but not nearly as severely or quickly as the left. It needs to be replaced too some day but not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    And 60?? Yer just getting to the good part! Don't be afraid to dial it back a notch and explore other aspects of skiing that, shall we say, youth can't appreciate. Once you get through the bitterness of how "unfair" it all is (aging and shit) you'll come out the other side with a whole new outlook.
    You’re a whole 23 years from being able to mow people over on the sidewalk with an e-trike!

hey, hey, none of that disorderly shit, son.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Learn to tele ski. It’ll force you to slow it down at first.
    Freaking vultures.

Good luck with the recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Freaking vultures.

Good luck with the recovery.
    Right? They're circling, waiting for someone to drop...

Thanks mang. Let's get together this summer. Last summer kinda got away from me, it went by so fast. Last time you saw me I was still pretty much healing from the broken bones, hopefully this time I'll be more mobile.

New Hip.

Let’s do it. Heal up though, geez.

That’s right. Is this hip replacement #2? They were both pretty fucked up IIRC
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 02-07-2020 at 07:39 PM.

No this is #1, still the same hip I was hurting from when we hung out, but at least now it's (theoretically) fixed and the whole thing is behind me except for some healing yet to do.

Emtb ebike. Apparently all those guys ride in jeans and no helmets. Id opt for the lid though. .
    But cereal, youll be ready to give a few turns on snow a good evaluation after a summer of riding. Id skitour some meadowskipping pow for a year. Much easier on the joints than the hill and thatll build up the hip flexor that they cut to get to the hip. My buddy was in pain if he walked for an hour but he could skitojr for hours. Doc told him bike bike bike then xc ski. He just substituted the xc ski for ski touring because pow. In 2-3 months we were doing 9 and 10 hour days. He was mid 50's then. Mtb is fun especially on the eeb, eh rod? Also if youre getting #2 done it may be worth considering. Check out the trailforks app for some trails to start with in your area. Hit up the green trails for a while until the muscles back. Just get out in the woods with your doob. Bsach after

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Emtb ebike. Apparently all those guys ride in jeans and no helmets. Id opt for the lid though. .
    But cereal, youll be ready to give a few turns on snow a good evaluation after a summer of riding. Id skitour some meadowskipping pow for a year. Much easier on the joints than the hill and thatll build up the hip flexor that they cut to get to the hip. My buddy was in pain if he walked for an hour but he could skitojr for hours. Doc told him bike bike bike then xc ski. He just substituted the xc ski for ski touring because pow. In 2-3 months we were doing 9 and 10 hour days. He was mid 50's then. Mtb is fun especially on the eeb, eh rod? Also if youre getting #2 done it may be worth considering. Check out the trailforks app for some trails to start with in your area. Hit up the green trails for a while until the muscles back. Just get out in the woods with your doob. Bsach after

Fun for sure

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Ice,

In May, I will be 3 years post my hip resurfacings, and 2.5 years post shattering the femur at the implant site. I am 63, so you are where I was when I had mine done. I had one done on Monday, and the other on Wednesday. By 8 weeks, I was walking 3 miles a day and feeling fine. Do not underestimate the loss of muscle mass in your glutes and quads.

My implants are metal on metal, and one thing I didn't realize is that with that implant, the natural cushion of the joint is now gone. I fell at low speed, but landed directly on the greater trochanter, and boom. If you had a total that is not metal on metal, you are probably in a better position.

Considering all things, it is nice not to have the constant never-ending pain radiating from my hips. The inner medullary rod that is in my left femur can get sore, but I am far better off than before.

I am our patrol rep, and I really do miss being out on the hill. Yesterday was my 6th day since the femur fracture over two yeas ago. I pick my days and how I feel. One thing you will find is that you anatomy is now very much different, and you will have to relearn most of your technique. You are going to have to devote some serious gym time into rebuilding your glutes and quads.

With regard to the femur fracture post replacement, between the medical bills, helicopter ride of $66,500, and the loss of income because I am self employed, I put the total damage in the $400,000 range. And it hurt like a mofo; 20x worse than the replacements.

Is it worth it to get back on skis? I'm not sure. My greatest fear is getting plowed over by a Floridian. Yesterday I spent the day as an examiner in a basic patroller exam. I skied all of our little mountain, and by the end of the day, was feeling quite a bit more comfortable. Will I hike to the top of Powder Mountain again? Probably not, but maybe. Will I run a sled again? I would like to think I will anyway.

As my dad used to say, "The Golden Years ain't so damned golden."
    Last edited by TNKen; 02-11-2020 at 02:01 PM.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Left Hip replaced 1/16/2020. Anterior approach.

If you have questions I may have answers.
    What's the stable homotopy groups of spheres?

Right now I'm still dinged so I'm sure that's shaping my viewpoint. But I don't see how I could just let it go and point em, maybe I'm wrong. Part of it is 2 years ago I got hurt on the second day so that's all I skied. Last year got sketchier and sketchier as the hip deteriorated, I didn't have much fun at all. And this year I'm out again. And in 2 months I'll be fuckin 60. I dunno.
    I don't mean to be defeatist but I've skied a long fuckin time and there's other shit to do.
    60?
    Skied a long time?

Phhtttt.

Kids these daze.

In the moments to months of recovery, yeah, OK, but don't let that cloud your future.

Heal strong, pal.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I just noticed this. You had the replacement so you are on your way to improving. I think boating could be harder than skiing on the hips. stay active, best of luck on the recovery. I just had shoulder surgery friday. Thought I would be skiing again Wednesday. Not sure now. This whole aging thing sucks.
    off your knees Louie

^^this. I recommend a healthy dose of denial

How you doing Ice? How many miles are you walking per day?
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Just passed 5 weeks. Walking about a mile a day. Got a couple other issues, I fucked up my back 2 weeks before the hip surgery and that's been slow to get back, I'm not even sure exactly wtf is wrong with it (I do know exactly how I did it, there was trauma involved, I wish I would stop doing dumb shit and hurting myself) and the other hip is pretty arthritic and hurts, so I'm trying to balance things. I guess I'm doing pretty good all things considered.

Honestly my back is more of an issue than my hip right now, but it's been getting better slowly. There is constant crazy amounts of cracking from my spine, it sounds like somebody playing castanets. I've never heard anything like it. But the pain has been ramping down to the point that I can work out some again if I'm careful, so that's good.

I pretty much got my ass kicked again this fall/winter, but I won't go through the whole list right now. It's not as bad as Fall/Winter '17-'18 but it's been crazy. The main thing that keeps me going is I tell myself to suck it up and keep going because even all added together it's not as bad as what you went though. "It could be worse, remember what happened to Ken!" has been kind of my motto.

http://www.thehip.com/albums/

somehow seems appropo for all you people with a tragic Hip
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-23-2020 at 05:05 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Ice,

LOL, I did have a pretty bad run. 2019 has been a little better; I made it a year without any major surgery or seeing a doc for anything but a yearly checkup!!
    2017-18
    Bilateral hip resurfacings
    FX femur
    Kidney stone
    Shingles
    Removal of mandibular tori and 2x molar implants

My primary physician says if I would quit hurting myself, I would be pretty healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    54. Bec de Rosses run 6 months after hip replacement. Keep skiing. https://unofficialnetworks.com/2019/...ement-verbier/
    Dude is an inspiration.

Lots of inspiration in here. Tough as nails some of these mags. Continued healing lads

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    My primary physician says if I would quit hurting myself, I would be pretty healthy.
    Ha, my Doc said almost the same thing, then he said I'm lucky to have good jeans...err, genes. I do tend to rally.

2017 for me saw 2 broken ribs, then a couple months later a serious concussion with a subdural hematoma that had me in the neurological icu, and then a fractured pelvis. I got through 2018 pretty well, and on into the fall of 2019 before the carnage resumed. I'm not gonna tally this go-round up yet, because who knows if it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    54. Bec de Rosses run 6 months after hip replacement. Keep skiing. https://unofficialnetworks.com/2019/...ement-verbier/
    wow. legend indeed.