Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tech bindings that can handle abuse

I am currently riding a setup that is way to heavy. As I keep going I realize that for the longer ski ascents I would like something that is lighter but can handle my 6' 9" frame skiing it aggressively. I do not have any interest in shifts as the pre-release scares me and my knees. I was told that the Dynafit Speed Radical can handle its own. I see beasts all the time in gear swap but have yet to hear anything good about them besides for the high dins. Not just looking for high dins would like something to be durable and be made in a functional manner. Just wondering if anyone else here has any thoughts or experience with bindings they think could be up to the task.

For reference:
    I am on Black Crow Corvus 193, with Marker Duke Pros with the Dins at 14.

this has surely NEVER been covered here...

Search JONG.

ATK FR14 or if you want a warranty in the US then wait for the BD branded version rumored to be on the way.

what do you weigh?

you should change your handle to read too-tall

probably ATK but i don't know if any tech binding really takes abuse
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Tecton eliminates stress on heel pins, toe seems strong as anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by IanCH View Post
    ATK FR14 or if you want a warranty in the US then wait for the BD branded version rumored to be on the way.
    these are available from BD, skimo.co, etc now (I think started at the beginning of this season / last season? a while anyway)

I would NOT recommend Speed Radicals personally... max 10 DIN, mine developed some slop, if you actually really need 14 DIN your options are limited or else just get some fixed release ATK thing

Salomon MTN with expert spring could be an option. I’d say the fewer moving parts the better at your size.

The expert spring is stiff. The toes clamp strongly, I can tour without locking the toes unless there’s a lot of firm side hilling.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    these are available from BD, skimo.co, etc now (I think started at the beginning of this season / last season? a while anyway)

I would NOT recommend Speed Radicals personally... max 10 DIN, mine developed some slop, if you actually really need 14 DIN your options are limited or else just get some fixed release ATK thing
    The ATK FR14 isn't available in the US. The closest US distributed binding is the Hagan Core which is the ATK Raider 12 and isn't quite as burly as the FR14 from my understanding. Since BD has been rebranding ATK's in their Helio line they might be doing the same with the FR14 but I'm not in the "know".

Also wouldn't go with Speed Radicals. If you're looking in that category I would go with the ION 12. Otherwise maybe look into the the previous recommendation for the Tecton.

You seem like an excellent candidate for a Cast setup.

Quote Originally Posted by whatsupdoc View Post
    Salomon MTN with expert spring could be an option. I’d say the fewer moving parts the better at your size.

The expert spring is stiff. The toes clamp strongly, I can tour without locking the toes unless there’s a lot of firm side hilling.

I've been impressed with the MTNs and expert spring. Skied em at the resort to get a feel for them and was ripping gs turns down hardpacked winch runs. Much improved performance over other pin bindings I have had previously, mainly the dynafit ft12s and their slop ass heel. Reference Josh Daiek's insta to see what MTNs are capable of.
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

I'll second CAST or a Techton.

Don't go Ions, have seen a bunch of failures, including one where my 6'1" 175lb body manage to somehow bend the threaded rod that the binding rides on and effectively end the life of a heelpiece without doing anything gnarly or cool. Seriously. That binding is so easy to break.

MTN with the expert springs has been making a bunch of my friends happy, and is probably my next tech binding, but I have no frame of reference for how it would do with someone your size.

+1 for ATK FR14. I honestly think that's a perfect binding for you - all metal, tough as nails, high release value, skis super well, and reasonably lightweight too. And yes - BD is coming out with their own version, but you'll have to wait a year for that one.

Don't mess with Beasts. Tectons are okay but have a lot of plastic - the brakes are particularly problematic.

If an ATK FR14 won't do it for you, then you probably need a CAST system.

If you are big and ski hard just go for the cast, i forgot about them
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post

Don't go Ions, have seen a bunch of failures, including one where my 6'1" 175lb body manage to somehow bend the threaded rod that the binding rides on and effectively end the life of a heelpiece without doing anything gnarly or cool. Seriously. That binding is so easy to break.
    Ions seem to be quite the polarizing binding.

They have their pluses and minuses

[groan]

Nerd alert

Ya, honestly I’d have my ion the BD version of the Raider FR14.

beast 14

tell folks here im cool and i'll sell you a pair

Another vote for ATK Freeraider 14. You'll feel the build quality when you lay hands on them. Great pin binding.

I prefer Tecton though - the heel retention and power transfer is just better. Feel free to break the brake mechanism by stomping down on it to get into tour mode and come here to bitch about it.

Or CAST - you're a pretty big unit...just sayin.

I was looking at the cast system but the icing of the moving parts to slide off the toe price and to put it back on really doesn’t fill me with confidence. However the pivot 18’s sounds fun on the downhill. Also they’re sold out until the summer and the system is super expensive for what it is. I was thinking about ditching my duke pros if I can find a good deal for a cast system. However they’re in hot demand.

I like the look of the Ark free raider, do they come without brakes. The tecton is also a great choice. Thanks for the help everyone definitely narrowed down my options.

I am 230lbs. I am quite the unit. Gonna change my handle to Sasquatch I think.

3rd vote for salomon mtn. Have been using them the last three season extensively. I ski them hard on the EXP spring. I’ve never come out while skiing, even when skiing harsh conditions unlocked. I’ve been trying to break them the whole time, and am unsuccessful. >80 days on 1 of, 40 or so on another. No slop or other significant wear of any type. 6’0 and 160, so take that for what it’s worth

3rd season on Atk Freerider 14 2.0 + corvus fb here, almost 200 days on them. I'm 105kg, ski quite hard on all kind of wind affected snow. So far zero problems. I have other setups for lifts and sled skiing. For pure touring they are hard to beat.

Lähetetty minun LYA-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    put me down for a good 400+ on 2 pair of atk freeraiders 14 in 5 seasons
    and a 1/2 dozen on solis mnt lab
    atk has never let me down after 200+ of everyday in and outta bounds and the 1st pair has some wear and issues
    so far super impressed with the mountain lab im going to buy and mount another pair
    people ask at work about shifts
    I tell them I don't know
    I can git er done on pins
    so I dont need more weight or things that break
    and we don't see a lot of broken mnt labs
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by Samsquamch View Post
    I was told that the Dynafit Speed Radical can handle its own.
    No, not for a guy your weight and height. The flipper heel risers put undue stress on the top plate, which will eventually rip out. Speed Turn 2.0 is a better choice for a big guy, best if modded with a B&D top plate and volcano. I'm 240 and run 'em at 10. That ATK FR14 looks stout. I haven't tried it.