Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    This with t-nuts or rivets.

https://www.amazon.com/Orange-Alumin.../dp/B072HN12GX

Then spray foam or silicon underneath.

Kydex would work too. They use it for gun holsters, but I've used it for mtb downtube protection. Attach it with rivets, then use a heat gun and bend it to whatever shape you like. Really easy to work with and feels like solid plastic after. https://www.amazon.com/Kydex-Knife-G.../dp/B0168VDZCY

Quote Originally Posted by IceCoastBBPatrol View Post
    Kydex would work too. They use it for gun holsters, but I've used it for mtb downtube protection. Attach it with rivets, then use a heat gun and bend it to whatever shape you like. Really easy to work with and feels like solid plastic after. https://www.amazon.com/Kydex-Knife-G.../dp/B0168VDZCY
    Oooh, that's a really good idea.

IME the plastic of a thule box can be sucessfully glued to and long term the epoxying of material to the box will actualy strengthen it but the plastic is pretty flimsy material to be riveting or t-nuting anything to ... just sayin
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

How about a glob of AQS? I riveted a clasp and lock to my Thule box about 20 years ago...still going strong. But, I think that Kydex idea looks pretty cool.

well I've used pop rivets on a box to fix stuff that was originaly pop riveted,

the fact that the rivets failed must mean something lota vibration and exposure to UV up thar

but structurally in the middle of the box I'm not so sure about ?

Seriously, AQS might work but its more for flexible things and I'm not sure it would etch into the plastic

whereas here we are trying to fix a material that is not suposed to be flexible

Why not metal stronger than a beer can? Like some heavy sheet metal or even a light piece of steel? I have an angle grinder and a rivet gun you can come over and use.

Edit I didn’t see conundrums z bar link, but year, something like that or way heavier than beer can or else what’s the point rivet would just rip right out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Why not metal stronger than a beer can? Like some heavy sheet metal or even a light piece of steel? I have an angle grinder and a rivet gun you can come over and use.

Edit I didn’t see conundrums z bar link, but year, something like that or way heavier than beer can or else what’s the point rivet would just rip right out.
    Good point re:a heavy enough material to hold up the rivet. I've got a hand held rivet gun to use.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCoastBBPatrol View Post
    This seems like a really good idea and would likely match pretty well.

Kydex ftw

I envision a future where all skis reside inside custom kydex holsters.
    Last edited by SB; 02-06-2020 at 06:56 PM.
    watch out for snakes

Still some finishing to do, and a few more rivets (since my damn rivet gun broke after the 2nd). But Kydex shingle was dead easy. Cut piece out, heat gun mold, rivet in place.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1112.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	316853

Name:	IMG_1113.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	989.6 KB 
ID:	316854

clean repair, good job!

Could cut another chunk the side of the missing piece and silicone it in there.
    Then slap a sticker on to obscure view.

Kydex looks like interesting stuff I read about it first in this thread, not sure what I’ll use it for but will keep it in mind.

Yep -- pretty cool stuff this Kydex. Thinking it could have a number of useful applications where funky shapes are required. When cool off it feels and looks pretty close to the original plastic.

And may do exactly that -- a larger external shingle with silicone. Like that idea.

I also think I figured out failure mechanism which is brittle plastic where I lifted in the same spot repeatedly in very cold temps --eventually leading to stress fractures and the break.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Yep -- pretty cool stuff this Kydex. Thinking it could have a number of useful applications where funky shapes are required. When cool off it feels and looks pretty close to the original plastic.

And may do exactly that -- a larger external shingle with silicone. Like that idea.

I also think I figured out failure mechanism which is brittle plastic where I lifted in the same spot repeatedly in very cold temps --eventually leading to stress fractures and the break.
    when mine let go at -17C it sounded like a gunshot and i had a big crack in the lower tray

If you could find a big sticker to cover that whole hole, then make a piece to go in there, glue or rivet it in, cover with the big sticker and you won't even see it anymore

Kydex FTW, nice!

Glad my suggestion helped. Here is the home-made kydex downtube protector/gun holster on my mountain bike.

Name:	20200419_162652.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	996.0 KB 
ID:	325944

Name:	20200419_162728.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	983.0 KB 
ID:	325945

Name:	20200419_162722.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	325946

Nice! Mine is holding up well after a few months of use. Great material to add to the toolbox. No doubt lots of uses.

Name:	IMG_1364.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	325953