Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    My daughter learned how to balance by using very slight downhills. I'd tell her to pick her up feet up and gradually, she'd do it more and more.

She's always enjoyed it since we started her at 1.5. Getting out there and doing it once or twice a week is key. Other friends doing it may help as well. We know several kids that aren't that into it and the common factor is that they aren't trying it that much. That, and things like scooters get in the way. Gummies/candy can definitely help. We use them for cross country skiing with great success.
    Yep this. Slight downhill really helps them "get it". But I still did lots of hunched over pushing before they picked it up.

I am glad out smaller guy (turns 3 end of March) has figured out being towed by a strap behind my bike. We do a couple lower mountain trails on Fromme with them and this makes getting up the gravel road a lot better.

Never had any problem with handbrakes with small kids. If they start on a balance bike then going to a coaster brake can be really problematic for them. Wish we had gotten a balance bike with a handbrake so they could start getting used to it a little sooner.

As far as getting your kid into it, every kid is different. Our first was really cautious. Stayed on the balance bike 3.5-4 and then our 2nd seemed even less into the balance bike but then he demanded the pedal bike at 2.5 and took to it faster than his older brother. Just like so many other things, make it as fun as you can. You just want them thinking biking/skiing/etc = fun.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Lots of good info in this thread... Shirk I'll take a look at the Strider stuff as well before I order the Spawn. I'll plan to keep it inside so he can fart around the living room/halls on it and will take it to the park so he can use it on the grass, there are some slight hills there which could help, maybe I'll bring my bike out a few times so he can see me riding it. And yep, will be chill/not try to force it, just have it around and see if he takes to it. Also thinking about getting a Macride for stuff like Fishermans/LCSR and maybe King of the Shore etc. this summer, only problem is he's freaking huge already, 33.5 inches tall and he's gotta be 30lbs.

Todd what's that roller thingy called? If I can find one cheap I'd get it for our kid now since I think the balance bike will be a summer thing.

Too big is a problem as I learned when I bought my 3yo a 16” spawn. He still rides his balance bike and should be ready to pedal t spawn this summer at 4. Goods kids bike have handbrakes that work just fine my son has been using them on his balance bike for quite a while.

The Mac ride is awesome too makes my little guy excited. We ride mellow xctrails and he has fun and wants to ride his bike and I get a workout. Macride is rated to like 60lbs, I am fine with my 40” 40lb 3.5yi but I am tall. Use a dropper and flats for the best experience.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Todd what's that roller thingy called? If I can find one cheap I'd get it for our kid now since I think the balance bike will be a summer thing.
    spherovelo, but I think they're discontinued...

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I just remberr reading somewhere maybe they don't have enough hand strength ?
    probably not for the piece of shit brakes that bike companies insist on putting on kids bikes "because parents don't want to spend that kind of money on their kids bikes" bullshit, have you seen the skis we spend money on?

i swapped all my kids brakes for XTR v brakes when they were on rim brake bikes and then something similar when they went to disc
    it's a crying shame how kids bikes are specced when it comes to brakes and shifting
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I just remberr reading somewhere maybe they don't have enough hand strength ?
    I can imagine that being an issue with some cheap brakes. I splurged a bit and the little bike my son is on has hydraulic discs. The lever reach could be a bit shorter but he doesn't seem to have a problem and stopping power is no issue at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Man, I feel like a failure of a bike-dad seeing how many kids are pedaling at 3. My son is a bit over 3 and has very little interest in his Strider, and doesn't "get" it. He just sort of walks it along. He likes it if I push him on it though, but I can't do it very long before my back aches.

Any tips for how to get little ones interested (with busy life schedules)? I'm thinking I just need to make a routine of taking him to the park for a half hour - hour once a weekend and try to get him to be interested on a flat dirt road. Maybe reward him with cookies after.
    I think that's a good plan, but I don't think you should feel like a failure. Sometimes kids take to things right away, sometimes they don't. No reason to push them or they'll resent it.

That being said, I always let my son see me on my bike. He also isn't allowed too much screen time, but I make an exception for him to watch bike videos with me on Pinkbike. I'm trying to brainwash him young.

Also, one last thing: I don't think I really need to convince too many people here, but getting kids good bikes isn't really as expensive as it appears. It's a bit of an upfront cost, but quality kids bikes have great resale. So, people might think you're crazy for paying $450 for a little kids bike, but you can then sell that after two years of use for $350, while a $75 bike becomes a $10 dollar garage sale purchase. The difference in cost of ownership is pretty minimal for a bike that's better in every way and much more likely to encourage successful and enjoyable riding.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Also, one last thing: I don't think I really need to convince too many people here, but getting kids good bikes isn't really as expensive as it appears. It's a bit of an upfront cost, but quality kids bikes have great resale. So, people might think you're crazy for paying $450 for a little kids bike, but you can then sell that after two years of use for $350, while a $75 bike becomes a $10 dollar garage sale purchase. The difference in cost of ownership is pretty minimal for a bike that's better in every way and much more likely to encourage successful and enjoyable riding.
    This

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Thanks Todd, found a few Spherovelo's on FB marketplace will try to snag one.

I also started mountain bike indoctrination early, our son was born late August and I had him watching WCDH with me a few weeks later haha, was probably wondering who this Rob Warner guy is yelling about the time.

Good point about spending a bit more for quality stuff and resale value staying high. The few good 12 inch balance bikes I've seen listed locally are not much of a discount from new so that's a good sign. As a gear nerd I have no problem spending for quality... gonna be a challenge not to spoil the kid with unnecessary high end gear as he gets older though, growing up I usually had used stuff even when I started ski racing, was always lusting after new gear... probably why I am a gear nerd now.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Nice kids bikes are money in the bank.

I also started mountain bike indoctrination early, our son was born late August and I had him watching WCDH with me a few weeks later haha, was probably wondering who this Rob Warner guy is yelling about the time.
    The old Collective movies are pretty good for little kids. My kid watched them umpteen times from 2-6ish and I'm convinced it played a big role in him becoming such a shredder.

right on, it's kinda cool, he's figured out how to wheelie it over little ledges like rugs, and trim on the floor, and one night he was intentionally falling off it and rolling laughing like an idiot. even though it's still way too big we got him a run bike at christmas and when he's in the garage after a walk he runs over to it pointing, then goes and gets his helmet so I can push him around on it, so safe to say he's into it for now! ha

and also...."Dude Dad"??! <facepalm>

Good point about spending a bit more for quality stuff and resale value staying high. The few good 12 inch balance bikes I've seen listed locally are not much of a discount from new so that's a good sign. As a gear nerd I have no problem spending for quality... gonna be a challenge not to spoil the kid with unnecessary high end gear as he gets older though, growing up I usually had used stuff even when I started ski racing, was always lusting after new gear... probably why I am a gear nerd now.
    And if the end of this WCDH season doesn't shape his rapidly forming brain, I don't know what will.

Start em early then they have no idea of a reality without bikes.

This was our first guy a month after his 2nd birthday.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXMZkCNA2qp/

The 2nd one learns faster watching his big brother.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv-dv4gFLrw/

By his 2nd birthday he was riding trail. After this ride I had to cut down his seatpost as it sticks down below the bike and would get caught on rocks and roots.

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    t.odd jr. is 17mth and rocking one of these that a friend gave us, he's been scootin' around the house on it but is already doing stunts like riding it backwards no hands while two fisting water and milk bottles...kids these days
    Attachment 313769
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9882.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	199.9 KB 
ID:	315418

First few days he ignored it but now he’s playing around with it and mostly figured out how to move with his feet... pic above is indoctrination with Brook MacDonald Vital RAW.

Thanks again Todd.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9882.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	199.9 KB 
ID:	315418

First few days he ignored it but now he’s playing around with it and mostly figured out how to move with his feet... pic above is indoctrination with Brook MacDonald Vital RAW.

Thanks again Todd.
    awesome! glad you found one! I kinda was skeptical when it got passed to me, but it's proving a great intro, hoping it carries through to the run bike later this year!

Count me in with team "get a strider with a hand brake."

Then skip a coaster brake altogether when they get a pedal bike if you can.