Intuition, getting rice bag into toe; bag too short at cuff

Got some second-hand power tongues to try. size 13. Boot hulls are nordica speedmachine 120, 300-310mm
    Put them in my boots, test fit on my foot, and seems like a good fit.

I'm doing it per intuition's home heating method... liner's starting in the hulls, not out.

Using a 4-pound rice sock, i did a dry run wrapping and tapping to get the sock down into the boot, and into the toe.

How can you tell the bag is making it all the way into the toe? or isn't it super critical and the heat from the bag will make it there without actual contact at the tippy toe?

Also, in this dry run, after all the banging.. the rice bag is probably 2 or 3 inches below the cuff of the liner. Again... will the heat of the bag transfer up without contact... or should i get more rice into the bag to try and get the whole thing in one shot? or just make a second heat on the cuff with the bag set up in a ball (think this is mentioned on intuition's site).

one more thing... these are laced liners... for fitting, my thought is to barely pull on those laces to get full foam expansion...is that the best route?

Use your oven
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Just put the rice bag in the bare liner with the liner out of the shell, it works fine that way just make sure the shells are warm (i.e. didn't come straight out of the garage). Foot into liner, then everything into a warm boot.
    Remove the laces all together (or at least don't pull them at all) when molding.
    I wouldn't worry about the top few inches of the liner, the more important molding is around all the bony prominences of your foot and ankle, not the calf (IMHO).
    I used to just use the oven and I just started rice bagging this year. Honestly it all works about the same if you do it mostly right.

Use your oven
    Oven. Yup.

You need longer socks

Name:  IMG_4891.JPG
Views: 568
Size:  54.0 KB

The only hitch with the oven method is you really need a housemate/buddy/significant other/dad who can hold the boot open for you and let you use them for balance.
    No longer stuck.

that's the deal with any of the out-of-boot options... i've seen all the threads on spreaders, etc... and these boots do not like to give up their secrets.

I will ski them once to see how the initial fit works. post that... guessing i'll do a toebox reheat. (my main concern right now is that i'm not getting enough down pressure immediately behind the toes.)

If you're just wanting to redo the toe, a heatgun or hairdryer or even just a heating pad on the toe area will work.
    You have an innersole in there, right? If not, that might explain some of your ball of foot problems.
    No longer stuck.

i've got the footbed that came with the intuition (i put it back in the boot after heating, but before forming). I was going to look around for something firmer. not going down a complete custom footbed route at the moment though... at best might try the siddas s in there

Quote Originally Posted by Carphunter View Post
    i've got the footbed that came with the intuition (i put it back in the boot after heating, but before forming). I was going to look around for something firmer. not going down a complete custom footbed route at the moment though... at best might try the siddas s in there
    You could try an off-the-shelf insole like the Sole or superfeet ( depending on what kind of foot you have ) for molding the liner with the foot bed I tape them to my foot with masking tape & cover with a thin sock, that way the footbed is in place when I put my foot in the liner

with lace-up liners be very careful NOT to pull the lace tabs off or deform the lace holes

I'm not so sure about the rice method maybe it depends on how much you need TO mold but the outside of my liners have taken on the shape of every nook and cranny inside the shells and i don't see how that could happen with the rice method ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Use your oven
    That has always been my approach for tele boots but it is a royal PITA to get the liner back in my maestrales so not always an option. The rice method allows for leaving the liner in the boot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Oven. Yup.
    Yes, convection oven.

Put rice in the cooker and eat it later.
    watch out for snakes

making a funnel/guide out of plastic milk carton can help ^^

I chose to get mine done at the Intuition factory outlet which is the best method
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    making a funnel/guide out of plastic milk carton can help ^^

I chose to get mine done at the Intuition factory outlet which is the best method
    Yes, have used that trick before and also putting liner in a plastic grocery bag before inserting. The problem is with the solid non-flexing portion of the lower boot on this particular model. Hardest liner to get in I have ever dealt with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Not having an innersole is the problem.
    Then you'll want to bake the whole thing again at least a little since your foot will be a different shape.
    No longer stuck.

If those are Pro Tongue there is no way you are going to get a good fit with rice. Use an oven, or find a fitter. I about killed my feet trying to use rice on those things. One visit to SIJ for a real bake and I was good to go. Those liners are just too firm...they have to get really hot to mold.