Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recommendations for buying components/wheels

Any and all recommendations welcome. What are you go to sites for new stuff? Any other places other than pink bike for used? Sales or discount codes I should be aware of?

Just pulled the trigger on a new bike for the first time in a long time. Only other times I built out a bike they were basically dumpster dive bikes in college. Looking to upgrade/exchange some components and spring for some carbon wheels. Because I desperately want to fit in with the cool kids.

Leaning heavily toward WeAreOne wheels laced to onyx vespers.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The German sites (bike-discount, bike-components, etc.) often have good prices for some components, even after currency conversion, and their flat $20 shipping. But they're not allowed to sell us SRAM, RockShox, or Shimano. So if you're considering Magura or some other brand brakes, that could be cheaper. I've also bought Ergon stuff from there, and an OEM takeoff Fox fork. New forks would be a wash with shipping and currency conversion.

I really like my WAO Agents. Keep in mind they'll probably build up the wheels with Onyx hubs if you call them, even though that option isn't listed on their web page. They have a big sale on Black Friday if you can wait a while. A friend got a pair of Insiders with Hope hubs for ~$800 this year after calling them up.

jensonusa
    bikeparts

the days of discounted bike parts are over unless your buying from some third world ebay seller
    it was a race to the bottom to see who could offer a product dirt cheap
    the list is pretty long of all those discount internet retailers who have gone out of business
    plus the brick and mortar bike shops started getting pissed that they were getting undercut so bad
    then the dip shit shows up to the local bike shop not really doing too well with his utube installation video
    dip shit gets pissed because the local bike shop charged him 45 bucks to do what he could do with the discounted part he bought online
    the american consumer sucks cock

Colorado Cyclist has pretty reasonable custom wheel builds. I9 101s and carbon rims laced with DT comps for 1250 shipped.

Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, Steep&Cheep are all the same company. And part of an evil Mormon empire. Plus, they almost never have good deals.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by grabtindy View Post
    Colorado Cyclist has pretty reasonable custom wheel builds. I9 101s and carbon rims laced with DT comps for 1250 shipped.
    I plan on ordering a custom wheel set from these guys soon. They’re running winter sale that knocks an extra 10% off wheel sets.

i've had some luck on ebay... scored a mint Chromag stem for about $70 less then anywhere else just because no one else saw the auction...

Other then that Pinkbike and Kijiji (craigslist) have been decent

Dirt Components wheels are all handbuilt. Alloy wheelsets start at $550 and carbon at $1250. Use the code TH10 for 10% off. I've been beating them up for a few years now and they've been bombproof.

eBay will be the cheapest. Expect frustrations with shipping and know that you will have zero warranty support if something goes wrong.

Activejunky plus jensonusa or backcountry/competitive is how I normally purchase.

I haven’t bought from them yet, but theproscloset seems like a good way to shop, if you looking for high end components and don’t mind lightly used.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

If you do go WAO wheels, the Downtime Podcast has had a few episodes sponsored by WeAreOne and had a 20% off code in the show notes. You don't even have to listen to the podcast, just scroll through their show notes.

I ended up buying a pair of wheels back in November because $800 carbon wheels with i9 hubs and a lifetime warranty isn't anything to sniff at, so I grabbed them before I even knew what bike I was getting haha.

I've never seen eBay be cheaper than Jenson unless something changed really really recently.
    Prowheelbuilder.com is a fun site to spec different wheel builds on, but you may be better off in the long run getting something locally when it comes to wheels because of service.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Get wheels from that UK site.

edit: https://www.huntbikewheels.cc/produc...e-mtb-wheelset

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I haven’t bought from them yet, but theproscloset seems like a good way to shop, if you looking for high end components and don’t mind lightly used.
    I've bought a couple new take-off or new OEM packaging items from Pro's Closet, and everything has come through as described. Their inventory changes a lot. Sometimes the deals are pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I got a fork and a wheelset from theproscloset. Both in brand new condition. Both sick prices. I troll through their website ever few weeks.

Ebay sells a ton of counterfeit parts. I've seen it first hand. As stated previous, Jenson USA is fantastic and will even give you deals if you call them. Wheels? Light Bicycle carbon wheels are pretty nice and affordable. If you are going to spend decent money on wheels, get King hubs. There isn't anything better and others, such as i9, are priced similar.

Another vote for wheels from Light bicycles. They are one of the companies that name brands source from. Great service and product.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

Some good stuff on Pro's Closet. Thanks.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

We Are One quoted me $1840 for their Union rims on Vesper hubs in a custom color with C-Xrays and alloy nips. No deal, full custom build. A sizable investment for sure but great value for what you get IMO. Enves are what, $3400? WEA are better wheels, built your way, for much less money. Turned out the Reynolds/i9 upgrade for my Firebird was quite a bit cheaper for great wheels but I’ll go this way for sure next time I’m in the market.

I think Light-Bike’s a good way to go too, especially for the money. Carbon rim construction has come a LONG way in the last five years and all brands have benefitted and stepped it up, LB especially. By all accounts their customer service is excellent these days too, albeit inconvenient to deal with returns to China. I’d run them with confidence.

The boutique brands are still a cut above though and I’m sure its evident in quality control.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I need to check out a bunch of these sites, but anyone have some recommendations for a fairly burly alum rim set/build etc. Coming from some e13 rims with dt 370 hubs that came on a 2018 nomad. Not looking at carbon and not super concerned about weight but also not looking for dh specific. Cracked aforementioned e13 and pretty disappointing in them(rims not hubs). I know it's a pretty broad question. Also 6'2" 185. Thanks fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    I need to check out a bunch of these sites, but anyone have some recommendations for a fairly burly alum rim set/build etc. Coming from some e13 rims with dt 370 hubs that came on a 2018 nomad. Not looking at carbon and not super concerned about weight but also not looking for dh specific. Cracked aforementioned e13 and pretty disappointing in them(rims not hubs). I know it's a pretty broad question. Also 6'2" 185. Thanks fellas.
    Fanatik and Colorado Cyclist both had good prices and options when I last looked. CC usually has a 10% off sale, and Fanatik gives you a discount when you add to cart. Either one will be happy to talk to you about recommendations, but they probably will suggest either DT Swiss XM481 or the new version of Flows (EX3?) for the rims.

Colorado Cyclist sells Spank rims, which are supposedly quite strong and stiff for their weight. The Spike 350 or Oozy 350 depending on how burly you need. The Spike is the same weight as a Flow Mk3, but seems much burlier.

Spank Spike Race 33 are shockingly burly for their weight. Can sometimes find good deals at ChainReaction.
    Otherwise, DT EX471/EX511 are gonna give you the best alloy available. Price and weight on the DT rims is deceiving (in a good way) because they come with Squorx alloy nipples and washers, and include those in reported weights.

That said, between the cost of premium rims and the recent doubling in price for Sapim spokes, it’s harder to get psyched on a custom build when you can find solid wheelsets for $400-500.

I like hope hubs. Durable, super ez to service and change freehub bodies and well priced. I usually get wheels with hipe hubs from chain reaction for a good price.
    Ill be going back to aluminium rims. My light bicycle rims were bombproof and they have great customer service and lifetime warranree option for $50. Tons of good reedback on WAO.they run a good business and i havent heard a complaint on them. I just dont like the stiffness of carbon, no real weight savings and more $. Initially i liked the responsiveness when i jumped on the pedals but they seem a bit harsh pounding through the rough. Different strokes i guess. Depends on your use and where you ride and shat you want out of a wheel
    Done with carbon bars and 35mm diameter size too

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Just chiming in to say how satisfied I am with three sets of Light Bicycle wheels. Perfect builds, great value. I don’t know if they have any new ‘compliant’ technology, and their warranty certainly isn’t as comprehensive as Reserve’s or WAO, but they are heaps cheaper.
    I was not offered the $50 lifetime warranty option, though, I’ll have to look into that.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Thanks guys. I had looked into some spanks for my old bike and think that might be the way to go for me. Just hadnt heard any actual feedback. I'll have to remember to keep an eye out since winter finally showed back up here.