Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation Ski Visions File Flattener update

I just got of the phone with Mark. He checked out this thread post and got a chuckle....

As a result of this discussion, I've been given permission to fabricate file base flattener bottoms using our CNC & laser. These can be attached to Ski Base Flattener & Structuring tools after removing the (6) screws and removing the structuring tool bases. Also, he can source to me the planer tops and I can attach the bases. I will begin prototyping the file flattener bases in the near future as I can or if a real demand determines it is a higher priority.

The biggest hurdle is the sourcing of the quality files. The Skivisions Ski File Base Flattener File-8" 2nd Cross Cut he designed work very well to cut the hard edge metal while also cutting sintered bases very cleanly, leaving a very nice base finish and lasts a long time. In order to obtain more files, a substantial minimum run and financial commitment will need to be made. It will also take some time to get these files. They are better than other crosscuts I've used, but as DIYer's you are always free to do as you choose. I can also source other interim files.

So, in order to gauge interest, I'm sharing this information here. Please let me know via direct contact for those interested. I can set up back ordering for the 'resurrection' of the Ski Visions File Flattener. Subscribe to this thread for any updates, too.

On the CNC & laser etching front, here is our new SkiScribe Centerline Tool as one example.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 02-01-2020 at 12:11 PM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I’m in; message sent on the site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received your email and others. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Ski Visions File Flattener update

Suffragette City and SKA Euphoria driven prototype 1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8110.JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	313460

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1580602663.162525.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	197.8 KB 
ID:	313461

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Very nice
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Very nice
    Thanks to you, I rethought my trying to use the Base Flattener slot to attach the file holder to this direct screw attachment. I still might to see how quick and secure it is by comparison. The screw attachment is a pretty quick swap and bomber, however.

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Nice one, subscribed and sent you a message.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Thanks to you, I rethought my trying to use the Base Flattener slot to attach the file holder to this direct screw attachment. I still might to see how quick and secure it is by comparison. The screw attachment is a pretty quick swap and bomber, however.

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Awesome!

Thanks for the email responses. I should be getting 1/2" baltic birch plywood today for an initial run sometime this week.

One suggestion was to provide 'file height adjustability' which is not possible at this time. I have been wondering about tilting the file slightly. I can try and route the file groove at a slight angle or the user could add tape or magnetic strips for a slight angle. Any thoughts?

Regarding files, for now I'll include an option for a 200mm/8" non-chrome bastard file for edge high skis. I will route the file groove to accept a variety of files up to a wider pansar/body file.

The file flattener base will be offered as a standalone item with file option or an add-on to the the Ski Base Flattener and structuring tool. Depending how things go, I hope to get planer tops in the near future. Ski Visions files are a wild card at this point. Hopefully, I'll get the options set up on the site for back ordering in the next day or two.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Interested, message sent.

I have used a strip of electrical tape on side edge fixed degree tool to add a bit of angle before. Not sure how that would work on the base tool. Metal shims (or even a set of spark plug type of feeler strips if you wanted a few different thicknesses) maybe an option that could be offered up also.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Thanks for the email responses. I should be getting 1/2" baltic birch plywood today for an initial run sometime this week.

One suggestion was to provide 'file height adjustability' which is not possible at this time. I have been wondering about tilting the file slightly. I can try and route the file groove at a slight angle or the user could add tape or magnetic strips for a slight angle. Any thoughts?

Regarding files, for now I'll include an option for a 200mm/8" non-chrome bastard file for edge high skis. I will route the file groove to accept a variety of files up to a wider pansar/body file.

The file flattener base will be offered as a standalone item with file option or an add-on to the the Ski Base Flattener and structuring tool. Depending how things go, I hope to get planer tops in the near future. Ski Visions files are a wild card at this point. Hopefully, I'll get the options set up on the site for back ordering in the next day or two.
    Coming from a machinist background, I'd leave the file flat, not angled. Much easier to get a smooth finish.
    I also think it will be important to offer it as a complete tool (maybe with the option of being offered as an add-on). I use mine in conjunction with the standard flattening tool so I wouldn't want to be swapping out the base piece. Offering a choice of files would be a very nice touch.

I’m in.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Coming from a machinist background, I'd leave the file flat, not angled .
    Are you talking about draw filing ?

I usually draw file ski bases with a single cut file perpendicular to the edges

tang in left hand pulling the file

or tang in right hand pushing the file
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Are you talking about draw filing ?

I usually draw file ski bases with a single cut file perpendicular to the edges

tang in left hand pulling the file

or tang in right hand pushing the file
    Exactly.
    I prefer right on tang pushing

Coming from a machinist background, I'd leave the file flat, not angled. Much easier to get a smooth finish.
    I also think it will be important to offer it as a complete tool (maybe with the option of being offered as an add-on). I use mine in conjunction with the standard flattening tool so I wouldn't want to be swapping out the base piece. Offering a choice of files would be a very nice touch.
    My inclination is to KISS, support the files flat and basically mimic the Ski Visions file flattener geometry. Once I can get over the initial production hump, I can look at an array of options. When I get the planer tops in hand, a complete tool will be an option.

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Stupid question: when would i use this instead of the other skivision base structure tool with the pink stone and metal blade- thing?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

When you are edge high; other tool is better suited for base high, adding structure, or cleaning up repairs

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Stupid question: when would i use this instead of the other skivision base structure tool with the pink stone and metal blade- thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by waxloaf View Post
    When you are edge high; other tool is better suited for base high, adding structure, or cleaning up repairs
    For more detailed info from our Tuning Tips:

SkiVisions Base Flattener & Structuring Plane

SkiVisions File Base Flattener

After you are done flattening the high edges and before restructuring, I'd suggest reestablishing your base edge geometry. It's better for the structuring stones to not run over the flat, steel edges. The beveled edges will minimize the stones contact on the edges.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 02-14-2020 at 06:16 AM.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

This is helpful. I wasn't quite following all of the verbal descriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    This is helpful. I wasn't quite following all of the verbal descriptions.
    Good. It gets confusing, but it really is a simple process to perform.

I can't emphasis enough that with some edge high conditions (and where they occur and on what kind of skis) only focusing on dead flat bases may cause you to take off way to much edge due to the depth of the concavity. In some cases 'moderating' the condition by only removing enough edge and base material to flatten a couple/few centimeters wide, may be the best you can do or really need, while leaving enough edge thickness.

You can start with a 'less is more' approach by taking off a little and see how the skis turn. Then take a little more off if the problem isn't resolved.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

On that point Terry - I assume railed edges underfoot are a bigger deal than farther out on the ski? I’ve never worried too much about edge high if it’s confined to the rockered areas, for instance

Quote Originally Posted by waxloaf View Post
    On that point Terry - I assume railed edges underfoot are a bigger deal than farther out on the ski? I’ve never worried too much about edge high if it’s confined to the rockered areas, for instance
    Exactly, especially on soft snow skis. For performance carvers, you'd have a different criteria where you'd need longer edge contact length to be dialed. Situational awareness is key for any task. You can always take more off if needed so start out easy.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Thanks for all the input and discussion