Views:	109 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	316066

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8149.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	221.7 KB 
ID:	316067

Making some progress. Hope to be ready to ship Tuesday.

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I’m in. Are they on the site to order?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    I’m in. Are they on the site to order?
    Trying to get to it today with file options. I have a bunch of them done and finishing more. I'm also awaiting more magnet strips, multi-kut files and more mill bastard files.

A quick primer on files and other comments:

-the file slot can accommodate files up to 1 3/16"/30mm wide.

-Make sure the file teeth are orientated correctly to cut as you push the planer from tip to tail
    -Use sharp files and keep them clean. DO NOT FORCE the cuts. LET THE FILE DO THE CUTTING in multiple, thin passes. Take your time and recheck often with a backlit true bar.
    -Non-chrome files are less expensive and sharper than chrome files but wear out a lot sooner. If you only need limited edge filing, the non-chrome are a good value
    -the chrome files we carry are ski and snowboard edge hardness specific
    -clean files with a brass brush and/or file card
    -DON'T FRICKIN' BACK DRAG FILES! Files are not saws. It'll dull them very quickly
    -If you've hit rocks and created sparks, the edges will be work hardened and trash your files. Use a stone on these sections first
    -A coarse or super coarse file is basically a mill bastard file and are tried and true edge files
    -a crosscut file is nice option vs bastard files and work well on base material and repairs. The Ski Visions crosscut files work great on edge and bases nice but currently unavailable.
    -a body/pansar/radial file is another option that also works well on bases and repairs

-Due to variables between file thicknesses, CNC inaccuracies (currently +/- 0.5mm) , wood and other subtleties, I think I'll be shipping the High Edge File Base Flattener bottoms with (2) thicknesses of magnet strips. I may adjust future runs by reducing the depth a skosh. Please continue to provide feedback.
    -the slot is currently routed at 5mm to match the Ski Visions File Base Flattener bottoms and provide good purchase for the file. This is too deep with a 60 mil/1/16"/1.65mm magnetic strip for many files. 120 mil/1/8"/3.3mm are on their way and due 'Fridayish'.
    -The (2) strips will provide (3) thickness options by using the one installed, replacing it or stacking them. The adhesive is super strong and the strips could be reglued or use double sided tape. You could also micro manage thicknesses to your heart's desire by adding tape first or on the file.

-The Baltic Birch plywood is very sturdy and dimensionally stable with multiple plys. It is made with very strong glues. After sanding, (4) minimum coats of water based polyurethane is applied with sanding between dryed coats.

-I'll add more as they come to mind or to respond to questions

Thanks for all of the contacts and support. It's been an interesting project.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 02-19-2020 at 10:54 AM.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Will order as soon as they are ready! Thanks!

Ski Visions File Flattener update

OK! I slam-dunked a listing for High Edge File Base Flattener Bottom.

Baby steps. I'm hoping I can offer the planer tops as an option in the near future. Let me know if there are issuse, typos or more needed info.....off to make more saw dust!

Last edited by Alpinord; 02-18-2020 at 05:23 PM.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

So would there be any issue with the wood getting worn or damaged going up and down over the ski base with some damaged area(s)? Any advantage to an option to put a coat of polyurethane or varnish on the wood?

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    So would there be any issue with the wood getting worn or damaged going up and down over the ski base with some damaged area(s)? Any advantage to an option to put a coat of polyurethane or varnish on the wood?
    Time will tell how much the Baltic Birch will wear with (4) coats of water based polyurethane (acrylic). It can easily be sanded and recoated if need.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Time will tell how much the Baltic Birch will wear with (4) coats of water based polyurethane (acrylic). It can easily be sanded and recoated if need.
    OK, so you are coating them (hard to tell in the photos)...

And can you clarify that the Ski Visions top hand or palm piece is available still (and cost if so)? Is that sold separately or directly from Ski Visions? You mention the screw pattern is to match that for mounting? I know this is a bit of a work in progress.

Also the maximum width of the file? So someone can determine if they have a collection of files already on the bench whether they can forego ordering another one and use one, or just play it safe and order one of the 3 you are offering and dedicate it to the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    OK, so you are coating them (hard to tell in the photos)...

And can you clarify that the Ski Visions top hand or palm piece is available still (and cost if so)? Is that sold separately or directly from Ski Visions? You mention the screw pattern is to match that for mounting? I know this is a bit of a work in progress.

Also the maximum width of the file? So someone can determine if they have a collection of files already on the bench whether they can forego ordering another one and use one, or just play it safe and order one of the 3 you are offering and dedicate it to the tool.
    Yeah, the 'polycrilic' coatings are crystal clear and I should have stated that fact. I like the tint regular polyurethane adds to blond wood, but wanted to avoid the VOCs. Plus the water based polyurethanes dry quickly.

These are initially released as a file holder add-on to the ergonomic planer tops on the Ski Visions Base Flattener & Structuring tool. I'll add the file holders as an add-on to that tool. When I can get individual planer tops from Mark, I'll add that as an option.

Regarding slot width, see post #26 and the pansar file in the file holder. That is the widest file I'm aware measuring 1 3/16"/30mm.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 02-19-2020 at 09:20 AM.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Ordered this AM! Thanks so much- can’t wait to try it out. This will be a great addition to my ski tools.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Ordered, thanks for doing this!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks guys! Now my take home is up to 25cents/hr!
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Terry,

If I don’t currently have a base flattener, or any files... what should I plan on purchasing? Links would be awesome as I get turned around on the page.

My wife’s skis are edge high and I would love to be able to do base repairs as well.

Thanks guys! Now my take home is up to 25cents/hr!

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    Terry,

If I don’t currently have a base flattener, or any files... what should I plan on purchasing? Links would be awesome as I get turned around on the page.

My wife’s skis are edge high and I would love to be able to do base repairs as well.
    Ideally, the SkiVisions Base Flattener & Structuring tool with the High Edge File Base Flattener bottom will provide you years of base high, edge high, base repair planing & base structuring capabilities. The structuring tool comes with a medium coarse stone, steel blade/true bar & brass brush. Adding on a coarse stone for spring structure, a steel blade sharpening stone and silicone carbide sandpaper for stone redressing are good to acquire too. These can be found in our SkiVisions section. For edge high skis, a mill bastard file will work fine. A cross cut might be a more desirable option for some due to it's ability to also remove excess base repair material (as does the steel blade). Following either with a 2nd cut or finer file may be desirable before reestablishing base edge geometry.

For base welding a soldering iron or ptex gun work well with base repair rods/ribbons. Heat up the repair area first and don't forget metal grip for core shots or along the edge. Flaming ptex candles are not your best option due to the carbon build up while burning the wax mixed with the base repair material.

Start at our Tuning Tips for more information and links to products. The right side menus on the site are for all of our tuning, base repair, mounting, etc topics. The right side menus are products on the site. Give a shout if you have more questions after checking out the info on our site.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Got my flattener today. I’ll ask my questions here as it will probably help others.

How much file depth do you want outside of the groove? Full file tooth?

Also I ordered files separate vs the ones listed in the package. Do the ones in the package better match the default depth as I think I’m going to have to do some depth tuning?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Got my flattener today. I’ll ask my questions here as it will probably help others.

How much file depth do you want outside of the groove? Full file tooth?

Also I ordered files separate vs the ones listed in the package. Do the ones in the package better match the default depth as I think I’m going to have to do some depth tuning?
    The amount of material removed per stroke while filing should be thinner than paper. So, as long as the teeth are at least a little proud of the file flattener bottom, the teeth should cut.

EDIT: As a point of comparison, the file stop on the Ski Visions File flattener is a skosh lower than the latest Ski Visions cross cut file without the magnetic strip and at the bottom of the teeth. The file is projected the 1/16'/1.65mm thickness of the magnetic strip beyond that difference and the depth of the teeth. The previous Ski Visions crosscut file is just below the stop and sits with the bottom of the teeth flush with the stop with the thin magnetic strip, 1mm (+/-).

The other, thicker, 1/8"/1.3mm magnetic strip allows adjustability for thinner files you might already have or order. I measured a range of 3 to 5mm (+/-) for a variety of files. Without a complicated and expensive adjustable depth, a range of file projections should work as long as the file teeth can cut the steel edges.

I would first err towards maximizing file purchase against the stop with minimal file projection. Test how it works and adjust from there.

This all reminds me of how much side wall needs to be removed so you can cut the side edge with your diamonds. The edge needs to be just proud of the side wall for the diamond to cut the edge.

As a side note, Mark will be sending me some planer tops so I can put together an option with the High Edge File Flattener bottoms. He also should be sending a very limited number of Ski Visions crosscut files he has remaining.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 03-04-2020 at 07:23 AM.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Why did Ski Visions stop making the file base flattener?

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada29er View Post
    Why did Ski Visions stop making the file base flattener?
    Been busy with other priorities, I guess.

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

UPDATE: We have received a limited supply of Ski Visions Crosscut files and planer bodies to go with our CNC'd High Edge File Base Flattener bottoms.

Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Just wanted to follow up on this thread and do a bump. If you have any of the SkiVisions tools, just a PSA. This should not really affect anything that Terry and Slidewright directly as he is doing the files and his modified base still I assume.

Reliable Racing is closing out and offering up some of their SkiVision tuning items- stones, and other inserts (no body tools at all) in their garage sale. https://reliableracing.com/category....991&brand=1279

These are currently backordered it looks like. Will another batch be made for this season?

40 years using the heel of my palm and/or thumbs positioned carefully holding files to flat file skis and NOW someone finally perfects one of these?? Kudos, better late than never :-)
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    These are currently backordered it looks like. Will another batch be made for this season?
    Yes. We have been working as we can to get another batch finished this week.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    40 years using the heel of my palm and/or thumbs positioned carefully holding files to flat file skis and NOW someone finally perfects one of these?? Kudos, better late than never :-)
    The SkiVision File Flattener has been around for many years. After a lull in production, Mark at SkiVisions gave us permission to fabricate the bottoms with some mods like better magnets, while he still provides us with support and the planer bodies. These are the same bodies used on the ski flattener and structuring tool.

If you already have the ski flattener, you can just get the file flattener bottoms and files. But it is more convenient having both complete with bodies.

Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

The SkiVision File Flattener has been around for many years. After a lull in production, Mark at SkiVisions gave us permission to fabricate the bottoms with some mods like better magnets, while he still provides us with support and the planer bodies. These are the same bodies used on the ski flattener and structuring tool.

If you already have the ski flattener, you can just get the file flattener bottoms and files. But it is more convenient having both complete with bodies.

Yes, I know the concept/product has been out for awhile but left needed these kinds of improvements to really be worth using. Thank you Terry for keeping ahead of the curve and bringing the ski community cutting edge products (pun intended). I think I still have an EpicSki/SlideWright hat stashed somewhere. Great to see you still at it!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!