Drysuit diving gloves for skiing?

I know, I know...Search Function. Too lazy...

Has anyone here used drysuit gloves for really wet conditions? For the past two weeks, I've been skiing in really wet conditions and have been okay, except for my hands. Goretex isn't cutting it for my gloves; soaked through with wet, cold hands within a couple runs. It made me think that some kind of drysuit technology might be a solution. Anyone try these?

I’ve found these work better than my neoprene kayaking gloves. Cheaper too (~$15) so you can buy two pair and swap them out. Must turn inside out to dry the fleece inner. Google “snowblower gloves” but should be available at your local hardware store. Also known as “oil pumpers” in these parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	73407839-D372-4246-ACB6-86C78BC8A71B.jpeg 
Views:	115 
Size:	216.9 KB 
ID:	313345  

I bought some of those snowblower gloves this season for snowblower use. So much better than using ski gloves for that - no matter what gloves I tried, Gore Tex or whatever, they all soak through when clearing Tahoe glop for an hour.

Don't think I'd ski with them though, my hands would get sweaty.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    I’ve found these work better than my neoprene kayaking gloves...
    I use neoprene "ice fishing" gloves when really wet out.
    They are cold at first, but start to warm up once you've had them on for a while. Cool down again if you take em off tho.
    Unlined, so a pain to get on and off without talc or something dusted inside now and again. But easy to dry out.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

$8.99 Home Depot. Not a liner but these things are tough as hell. I have 2 pair, one for winter gardening and landscaping and a pair for rain skiing. I wouldn’t want a liner, can just put on some light gloves under if cold.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0631.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	313389

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The snow blower gloves are great when it’s really wet. Totally dry hands.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    I’ve found these work better than my neoprene kayaking gloves. Cheaper too (~$15) so you can buy two pair and swap them out. Must turn inside out to dry the fleece inner. Google “snowblower gloves” but should be available at your local hardware store. Also known as “oil pumpers” in these parts.
    These are what my kid used for wet days on ski patrol.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try the snowblower gloves first and see how that works out. Appreciate the input!

I used to use those snowblower gloves for testing concrete in the winter. The kept my hands dry and kinda warm, but the definitely were not dextrous as fuck, and they never dried very well, so they would smell.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Showa Atlas 282 TEMRES is a far superior version of the standard vinyl snow blower glove. They a lighter more flexible and slightly breathable polyurethane coating instead of a heavy vinyl one and are quite dexterous and still plenty durable. They've been used on some crazy alpine climbs by Colin Haley and others and i've used mine for everything from ski touring to clearing irrigation ditch blockages and making cheese (realized we didn't have standard kitchen gloves) and had dry hands. $20 on amazon, the $5 extra is worth it. Size up a size...they use Japanese sizing.

I've been warm storm/wet snow/sleet/rain ski touring (+snow shovelling/snow blowing/general automotive work/etc) with some measure of success using cheap dollar store fleece gloves of varying thickness under xxl size longer wrist gauntlet tough but thin automotive mechanics vinyl nitrile gloves.

I bought a big whack of the cheap fleece liners for a buck fitty a pair, and simply swap them out as a pair gets a bit damp from perspiration...it takes a surprisingly long time for it to happen if yer not givin'er uphill.

For downhills while ski touring, they work fine. However for pure lift served downhill skiing, the system is a bit cold. I've yet to try thicker fleece liners 'cause they don't really fit that well into the largest sized xxl vinyl nitrile 'shells' i could find. Still testing though, i'll figure it out.

I really think this is the holy grail solution cause the combo is so light on the hands, the hand/finger dexterity (compared to the thicker slightly insulated rubber gloves I've tried) for operating buckles/zippers and stuff is really good, the v. nitrile is pretty durable if yer careful operating around sharp ski edges and such, and, it's super cheap when u break down the cost. They combo is also super easy/quick to dry. Remove liners, invert the 'shells', and the liners/shells dry in no time.

Grip on poles is pretty good if temps are above freezing, but if temps dip below freezing, things get a wee bit slippy instead of grippy...i'm thinkin' of bonding on a very thin shaped layer of leather or faux leather on the palm/fingers and see if things improve.
    Last edited by swissiphic; 02-03-2020 at 09:48 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan b View Post
    Showa Atlas 282 TEMRES is a far superior version of the standard vinyl snow blower glove. They a lighter more flexible and slightly breathable polyurethane coating instead of a heavy vinyl one and are quite dexterous and still plenty durable. They've been used on some crazy alpine climbs by Colin Haley and others and i've used mine for everything from ski touring to clearing irrigation ditch blockages and making cheese (realized we didn't have standard kitchen gloves) and had dry hands. $20 on amazon, the $5 extra is worth it. Size up a size...they use Japanese sizing.
    I'm going to give these a shot. They look to be a pretty good solution. I normally wear a large glove (8 3/4" hand circumference) so am wondering if I should get XL in this? If they're a little large, no problem, I can put a thin liner in them. Any input on the sizing beyond what Ryan wrote?

The Temres gloves are awesome. Many of the ice climbing guides in the Northeast use them; I've used them for both ice climbing and skiing. Warm, cheap, comfy, dexterous, grippy. The only flaw is that they dry slowly.

Back around '99 or 2000, I ran across a company making a hybrid neoprene glove, glove liners, and clothing at SIA that was absolutely phenomenal. Was trying to get distribution from them when 9/11 came around and they changed their entire production to military purposes. I'm sure they made a fortune in that turn of events. They gave me samples I used for two full seasons to test and I was blown away, only to never see that stuff again except when I was skiing with a bunch of SEALS at Kirkwood, where they train.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan b View Post
    I third these gloves. We use them for ice climbing and backcountry skiing in sloppy conditions. Light, warm, durable, cheap. Sizing is tricky since they run small. I usually wear a small glove (BD, OR, etc. ) and a medium in the 282's is a snug fit for me (the length is right but the finger width feels snug) they're sort of like dry tooling gloves in fit. A large is not as dextrous (the fingers are a little long) but also don't seem overly huge and is usually what I wear skiing, where I prefer a medium for climbing. So going up one size is mandatory, two sizes might be better.

I tired the snow blower gloves for running a snow blower, I found them a bit cold and cumbersome, IME with heated grips a regular ski glove is good enough for clearing around my house, I duno if I would use them skiing

they attach those kind of gloves to the ice-rescue suits that I sometimes work on
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know