Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Oh, so this is what it's like to have money. Ah, Paris.
    WTF?
    Dude didn’t use any advice and booked on points.
    He’s not at the Hôtel Barrière Le Fouquet's.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

It's not expensive to travel to Europe if you do it right. I do it a lot now, and I ain't rich.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    WTF?
    Dude didn’t use any advice and booked on points.
    He’s not at the Hôtel Barrière Le Fouquet's.
    I am reading all the input - I'm not ignoring the advice. I started the thread to ask for help on planning the trip - with a focus on where to go, what to see/do.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Beware of Delta and luggage. The fuckers wanted to charge me different rates since I had to connect in New York. Half the flight was domestic rates and half international which basically meant I had to pay for first checked bag, but it was free for the NY to Europe leg...bastatds.

...and yes, lots of baguettes and cured meats. I know you arent a wino, but the cheap wine in France is damn good. 5-10 euro easily gets you a $20-30 US wine.
    Thanks. Was your Delta flight booked through as one ticket? (same ticket for your starting city to NYC, and then on to Europe?) That should count for the free checked baggage.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

In Dec./Jan., my wife and I flew Delta to Yurp. I flew non-stop SLC-AMS with no baggage charge. My wife flew SLC-AMS-FRA and then FRA-ATL-SLC with no baggage charge.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

France in spring: help planning

Make sure the whole itinerary is coded through Delta, or whichever airline has the best luggage allowance for your trip, even though there is a ton of code sharing now. Do the research.
    Also, tell us more about what you are leaning towards so the info can be less random.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

French guy here : Just a few tips, from the top of my head :
    If your Hotel is the one rue de Bercy, it's not the most charming area. But, for drinks / eating the Marché d'Aligre nearby area is real nice, up to métro Charonne. Lots of cafés, little restaurants and deli within walking distance.
    Next door, you've got Ground Control, a former rail depot turned terrace / food court / concert venue. A very nice spot in spring for a drink or a quick bite.
    You'll be also close to la Promenade Plantée, or Coulée Verte, a park built on a former railway. Like the New York High Line but better. (The station has been replaced by the fugly Bastille Opera and looked like the Musée d'Orsay, also a former railway station). It goes from the Bois de Vincennes up to Place de la Bastille.
    While you're at Bastille, and if you did enjoy the Bateau Mouche, a cruise on the Canal St Martin is really cool, if a little long thanks to the many locks. It will take you underground and through some iconic views of Paris, up to La Villette, in the north, a great place for a show, a concert, or an art exhibition. Get a late cruise and enjoy the evening there, with dinner or a drink at la Petite Halle or on the last floor of the Philarmonique.. You may want to book your show early, though.
    Actualy, you may want to book everything early : The Eiffel tower, Versaille, the Louvre... You should get your tickets in advance and skip the lines. (For some Museum - Beaubourg, Rodin...- you can buy your ticket for the same day. Super convenient when the line is long : Just grab your smartphone and beat all the other tourons...).
    Commute by Métro or Vélib. Paris is now very bike friendly.
    Oh, yes : Grab a picture rue Crémieux, early in the morning. It's next door.

As for the rest of France... Lots of good advices in the thread. You could blast through the country, chinese style, or choose a spot and skip the rest. Pretty difficult to give advice without knowing more of your interests.
    Now, since we're on TGR, I guess you like mountains... The Pyrénées are beautiful and often overlooked. For instance, you could spend a great week between the Basque Country and the vallées of Béarn. Great scenery, great food, great history, nice people... and few tourists compared to other regions. But I may be biased, that's where my family comes from...
    You'll need a car, though. The train is super convenient, but you'll definitely need a car to explore the countryside.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

^^^Yeah, what do you know just because you live there. Some us us have been there twice, so obviously experts

LOL, some day I would love to meet you in person and share some French or California wine

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by philippeR View Post
    Lot of good insider Beta.
    Soooo, are you our contact for drugs and sex parties? Asking for myself.

Drugs fueled orgies ? That's when I show my age and ask you to PM Rontele...
    I'm always good for a glass of wine, though.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Quote Originally Posted by philippeR View Post
    Drugs fueled orgies ? That's when I show my age and ask you to PM Rontele...
    I'm always good for a glass of wine, though.
    Preferably au Les Deux Magots, of course.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

^^^Yeah, what do you know just because you live there. Some us us have been there twice, so obviously experts

LOL, some day I would love to meet you in person and share some French or California wine
    That 'Merican wine is disgusting.... merde....grape juice, and not fit to pass through French lips. Just ask the folks at Chateau Montelegna and Stag's Leap.
    Seriously though, spend some time between Biarritz and Balboa. ...you may never come back
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Preferably au Les Deux Magots, of course.
    Obviously.
    (I still can't believe I've missed the pun then...)

Thanks again everyone, especially phillipeR! Good idea on booking tickets in advance. I'll work on that.

Items of interest: sightseeing, some museums, historical sites, cities, countryside... Leaning towards a self-guided bike tour in Loire area currently, maybe 4-6 days. I think we will want to focus on two or maybe three areas at most -- so, Paris, plus ___, and maybe plus ____. Not trying to cover the entire country in a whirlwind drive-by tour.
    Of less interest: fine dining, winery tours, fancy hotels.
    Not for this trip: traveling to Alps or Pyrenees, or beaches. It's May, so thinking warm springlike places.

I can recommend some quality Napa Valley champagne. Perhaps with a screw-top as well, for easy chugging!

I'll 2nd the Normandy suggestion...

YMMV, but I had great luck in with AirBnB in the Loire while bike touring. A few of the places we stayed offered a home-made meal option (note these are often "private room in house") which was in both cases exceptional and a nice way to get a local vibe.

Pro tip: in the countryside search for local market days in nearby towns -- or plan your biking to stop along at one. They are just farmers markets, but they are very pleasant. Awesome produce, lots of cheese, local wines. Usually set on a town square where you can drink coffee on a terrace and pause for a bit.

Bike touring in rural france during the summer everything closed at lunch for a couple of hrs so if we didn't buy bread/sausage/cheese before taking off at breakfast nothing was open for lunch altho it could be different in spring
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    No, this is what it's like to travel hack and jump on deals when they show up.

Flights were $38 + 30K Skymiles each. Delta had a flash sale.
    Whoa, that's great!
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Bike touring in rural france during the summer everything closed at lunch for a couple of hrs so if we didn't buy bread/sausage/cheese before taking off at breakfast nothing was open for lunch altho it could be different in spring
    It's always refreshing to go back to France and be reminded that it's possible to exist without 24/7 availability of everything.

And that bread is supposed to go stale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    It's always refreshing to go back to France and be reminded that it's possible to exist without 24/7 availability of everything.

And that bread is supposed to go stale.
    And the bread is pretty much worshipped in France

Somewhere along the Canal du Midi 2007 ish I woke up in a campsite, its a holiday but an ancient white bread truck shows up so there is fresh bread, the guy inside is all dressed in white with the hat, an ancient transistor radio hanging on the wall is scratching out Edith Piaf " Non, je ne regrette rien " and I'm in a time warp from the 60's

so french
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Thanks again everyone, especially phillipeR! Good idea on booking tickets in advance. I'll work on that.

Items of interest: sightseeing, some museums, historical sites, cities, countryside... Leaning towards a self-guided bike tour in Loire area currently, maybe 4-6 days. I think we will want to focus on two or maybe three areas at most -- so, Paris, plus ___, and maybe plus ____. Not trying to cover the entire country in a whirlwind drive-by tour.
    Of less interest: fine dining, winery tours, fancy hotels.
    Not for this trip: traveling to Alps or Pyrenees, or beaches. It's May, so thinking warm springlike places.

I can recommend some quality Napa Valley champagne. Perhaps with a screw-top as well, for easy chugging!
    We loved Aix en Provence. We found it necessary to have a car though.

Plenty of poor people in Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    And the bread is pretty much worshipped in France
    Liberté, égalité, fraternité, glutené
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Liberté, égalité, fraternité, glutené
    Man... I fucking LOVE gluten.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Man... I fucking LOVE gluten.
    Go to Italy then. Bread AND pasta.