New automatically adjusting risers from Atomic?

Just came across this tidbit of news from the OR show and I thought it was so inane that it deserved it's own thread:

https://www.outsideonline.com/240877...mb-ski-binding

I wonder what the weight penalty is for the system. Honestly I can't think of a better example of a solution in search of a problem.

Coming to a blown out skintrack near you...

wow, cool idea. I hope they find a good problem for that to solve

Yeah, that's a weird one. I get the impulse to make easier to use, beginner oriented touring gear, but this seems like a ton of extra mechanical complexity and weight to simplify the ease of use of pretty much the easiest to use part of most tech bindings.

"For those obsessed with efficiency or those who spend most of their time skinning on resort, the binding could be a game changer."
    yeah, adding weight is always a goal for the efficiency obsessed.
    Cool tech tho.

Yup, because we need more points of failure in teh backcountry

"Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    --Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    "For those obsessed with efficiency or those who spend most of their time skinning on resort, the binding could be a game changer."
    yeah, adding weight is always a goal for the efficiency obsessed.
    Cool tech tho.
    skinning on resort? Geezus Hercules Krist I hate this industry sometimes
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    skinning on resort? Geezus Hercules Krist I hate this industry sometimes
    Yep so I do a decent bit of resort skinning - maybe once a week or so, really just as a way of getting my wife into ski touring, and I still can't understand the appeal. Of course - I just set my risers on the mid-elevation height and forget they exist, so I'm clearly not their target audience here.

Also, for backcountry use, am I the only one who will temporarily put up my high risers on a really blown out, steep kick turn? How would that even work with this system?

One thing that’s particularly tricky for first-time ski tourers to figure out: using heel risers.
    WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    WTF?
    How do they manage to use a beacon? Or assemble a shovel and probe?!

I've always kind of wondered when auto heel risers would come out. I imagined a bluetooth version with a pole mounted button that raised and lowered a single medium height riser. This would be for skimo racing where every second counts and those riser adjustments add up in time. I've been dabbling in skimo lately and feel like its only a matter of time before that technology is light enough to be introduced. This atomic system seems overkill imo. Looks like it adds a ton of weight and presumably cost. On any normal backcountry tour I am perfectly capable of adjusting my own risers. The time spent raising and lower the risers is time to relax, breathe, look around at the snow, drink some water and wait for my friends. No need to be in a hurry in the BC.

No

something new to sell
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Cool tech, but wtf? At least you'll have a few sips of antifreeze to catch a buzz while you wait for SAR to get you home.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    wow, cool idea. I hope they find a good problem for that to solve
    Spend enough time in brutal coastal B.C. old growth forest approaches with micro terrain slope angle changes with every step or two for hundreds of vertical feet and you may come to appreciate an auto system like this. I'm workin' on a much simpler super lightweight 'push push' type of heel height adjusting mechanism based on shimano derailer shifters and a cable. The push pad levers will be installed just a head of the binding toepiece so that you simply depress the lever with yer ski pole tip, kinda below and in front of you. No reaching back.

There ain't nothin' sketchier than precariously balancing on log with skis teeter tottering over the abyss trying to carefully reach back to flip or spin a heel riser from high, (to get up that steep 4 steps and onto the log) then to flat so you can jump or slide off not wearing high heels.

There ain't nothing more mentally fatiguing/annoying than having to change the riser from flat/med/high every 20 feet in low snowpack, surran wrapped micro features, steeply gullied up/down/up/down shitfuck terrain.

I can think of countless scenarios in technical skinning where an auto system would be awesome. IMO, the present options suck and are dinosaur era tech. My buddies are using bluetooth ski boot heaters, I want bluetooth controlled heel risers. Little push buttons on top of ski pole handles. One day....
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Spend enough time in brutal old growth approaches with micro terrain slope angle changes with every step or two for hundreds of vertical feet and you may come to appreciate an auto system like this. I'm workin' on a much simpler super lightweight 'push push' type of adjusting mechanism based on shimano derailer shifters and a cable.

There ain't nothin' sketchier than balancing on log with skis teeter tottering over the abyss trying to carefully reach back to flip or spin a heel riser from high (to get up that steep 4 steps and onto the log, then to flat so you can jump or slide of not wearing high heels.

There ain't nothing more fatiguing/annoying than having to change the riser from flat/med/high every 20 feet in low snowpack, surran wrapped micro features, steeply gullied up/down/up/down shitfuck terrain.

I can think of countless scenarios in technical skinning where an auto system would be awesome. IMO, the present options suck and are dinosaur era tech.
    If you're serious I would look into a cam, possibly on a hinge to fold down while in ski mode. Think of a climbing cam where the angle from the surface to the rock is constant no matter the rotation of the cam. From there you could run a cable to the toe, then boots and up the leg. It seems way too complicated to be worth the hassle but it's a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    If you're serious I would look into a cam, possibly on a hinge to fold down while in ski mode. Think of a climbing cam where the angle from the surface to the rock is constant no matter the rotation of the cam. From there you could run a cable to the toe, then boots and up the leg. It seems way too complicated to be worth the hassle but it's a thought.
    I'm totally serious and thanks for the idea; i'm sure there's more than one way to slice this pie.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Spend enough time in brutal coastal B.C. old growth forest approaches with micro terrain slope angle changes with every step or two for hundreds of vertical feet and you may come to appreciate an auto system like this.

There ain't nothin' sketchier than precariously balancing on log with skis teeter tottering over the abyss trying to carefully reach back to flip or spin a heel riser from high, (to get up that steep 4 steps and onto the log) then to flat so you can jump or slide off not wearing high heels.
    Except that it takes 3-5 steps to adjust so by the time you have got on the log it will max out just in time for you to jump or slide off on high heels.

Can't think of anything more annoying than risers that rise or fall just when I want them to go the other way.

I've seen enough beginners velociraptoring around with their lifters at max height on flat terrain that I can see the potential. But until the auto height mechanism is incorporated into the used fritschi freeride that's for sale at the local thrift shop, I'm not sure this tech will reach it's target audience.

To play devils advocate....dropper posts?

This is one of the stupidest pieces of tech I've ever seen. It's like the Atomic engineers came up with it as a joke and the Marketing department just ran with it.

It'll make a nice gaper badge.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Not a great solution obviously but I'm glad they're thinking about it - in general heel risers could be improved for sure.

Risers could be built into boot heels, and triggered by Bluetooth remotely from buttons on your goggles - like RV jacks. Add in GPS tracking and a Go Pro and it's a winner!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    To play devils advocate....dropper posts?
    I think the dropper post equivalent would be pressing a button and your heels releasing and skins auto deploying, and vice versa.

That would be well good for rolling terrain-just like a dropper!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums