Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 61

Thread: Tax time

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    13,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    anyone have experience with freetaxusa.com?
    I've used it for over a decade. Never had a problem.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    11,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    It's just the tip of the iceberg with these clowns. They paid all their people through Venmo for almost 2 years, because apparently having ADP do all that shit for you is too difficult. Didn't get her 1099 last year until almost March (expecting the same this year).
    Got a 1099 in the mail last week. First thought was, "Hey, only two weeks late, progress!" But, then I looked at the amount, which was only about half of what I know she made last year. She texts el jefe asking if there's another 1099 coming and he responds, "I don't think so, why?" Holy amateur hour.

    Now that the ranting's done, an actual tax question: She launders the studio's sweaty towels at home a couple times per week. Our washer and dryer are over a decade old. They currently seem to work fine, but multiple big loads of towels per week are probably hard on them. How out of bounds would it be to upgrade to newer/nicer machines and write that off as a "business" expense?

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SE USA
    Posts
    2,332
    I am a cpa/dentist with a fairly complex return, just cause I play a lot of (cpa) games. Truthfully I have ALLWAYS done my individual return in the cheepest taxcut HR block product that runs about $20 ($10 with earlybird discount.) with nbo problems. It will do your Sch C and really anything else you need, just say no the up sale, and you can do the state by hand. Also do a family limited pthsp and a few S corps out of the turbotax business software for $100 works fine, but you only need this when you have a separate entity.

    BTW if you have a business generating, i dunno, a decent amount as mentioned above, it makes an awful lot of sense to incorp or LLC, single owner, AND ELECT S CORP STATUS. can save at least a couple grand up to 10k or so if you know what you are doing. Throw some child ownership in there and you are really cooking with gas.
    "Can't you see..."

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SE USA
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Got a 1099 in the mail last week. First thought was, "Hey, only two weeks late, progress!" But, then I looked at the amount, which was only about half of what I know she made last year. She texts el jefe asking if there's another 1099 coming and he responds, "I don't think so, why?" Holy amateur hour.

    Now that the ranting's done, an actual tax question: She launders the studio's sweaty towels at home a couple times per week. Our washer and dryer are over a decade old. They currently seem to work fine, but multiple big loads of towels per week are probably hard on them. How out of bounds would it be to upgrade to newer/nicer machines and write that off as a "business" expense?
    My $.02 that would work perfectly fine with low (audit) risk. My $.02 I'd set them up as capital asset, one amount for both, with the description "laundry equipment" or better "gym equipment" and you can either bonus depreciate them 100% in year one, or sec. 179. I've come around to the latter since states seem to recognize 179 more often than bonus, but you'll want to check your state. if your state accepts 100% bonus then depreciating inside the entity is better IMO. simpler. on the 1099 dude. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. I would document that you asked a question and move on.
    "Can't you see..."

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    5,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Got a 1099 in the mail last week. First thought was, "Hey, only two weeks late, progress!" But, then I looked at the amount, which was only about half of what I know she made last year. She texts el jefe asking if there's another 1099 coming and he responds, "I don't think so, why?" Holy amateur hour.

    Now that the ranting's done, an actual tax question: She launders the studio's sweaty towels at home a couple times per week. Our washer and dryer are over a decade old. They currently seem to work fine, but multiple big loads of towels per week are probably hard on them. How out of bounds would it be to upgrade to newer/nicer machines and write that off as a "business" expense?
    Seems the better question is why you guys are putting up with this sort of horseshit?

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    11,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    on the 1099 dude. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. I would document that you asked a question and move on.
    Oh trust me, if they're really only going to report half her income to the IRS I'm stoked. My worry is that I'll file with what I have now, then they'll realize their mistake at some later time, report her full income, and may or may not even tell her about it. Best case I'm wasting time filing amended returns, worst case the IRS thinks I've willfully committed tax fraud.

    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Seems the better question is why you guys are putting up with this sort of horseshit?
    Because besides the owner having no idea how to properly run a business, she likes working there a lot for several reasons. New W/D for the "business" isn't a bad fringe benefit, either.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    2 hours from anything
    Posts
    8,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Oh trust me, if they're really only going to report half her income to the IRS I'm stoked. My worry is that I'll file with what I have now, then they'll realize their mistake at some later time, report her full income, and may or may not even tell her about it. Best case I'm wasting time filing amended returns, worst case the IRS thinks I've willfully committed tax fraud.



    Because besides the owner having no idea how to properly run a business, she likes working there a lot for several reasons. New W/D for the "business" isn't a bad fringe benefit, either.
    You have the 1099 issued. For them to restate and not give her a copy would be a big problem on their end. Very very very low chance the IRS pursues this as tax fraud. Like lotto winner odds.

    Definitely expense the laundry equipment. Also don’t forget the supplies.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,391
    ...and the miles between the two places she's doing business, yes?

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    13,050
    And transport of laundry, folding services, storage fees, toxic waste dumpage, etc.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sandy by the front
    Posts
    1,906
    Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    I used a CPA when back when I had depreciation schedules, K-1 LLC income, carried losses, paid CG tax every couple years or so, etc. I currently DIY file a schedule C and pay SE tax, but I do it all on paper (well, actually, PDF fill-in). Takes me less than an hour each year.

    The $24K (now $24,400) married couple standard deduction is a boon for older couples with paid-off residences, but threatens some charities and results in some weird sets of incentives. A CPA with whom I share a client tells me that some LDS tithers are giving 20% every other year, itemizing the years they double tithe and taking the standard deduction for non-tithing years.
    Charitable deductions are still good as long as you do not take the standard deduction.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    22,696
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Charitable deductions are still good as long as you do not take the standard deduction.
    Except lots more people now take the standard.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    5,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Except lots more people now take the standard.
    Does *anybody* still itemize??

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    5,058
    All you have to do is accelerate depreciation on your equipment, give a stock option deal to your employees, and set up shop in the Cayman's. Easy eh


    Company- U.S. Income- Federal Tax- Effective Tax Rate
    Amazon.com $10,835 –129 –1%
    Delta Air Lines $5,073 –187 –4%
    Chevron $4,547 –181 –4%
    General Motors $4,320 –104 –2%
    EOG Resources $4,067 –304 –7%
    Occidental Petroleum $3,379 –23 –1%
    Honeywell International $2,830 –21 –1%
    Deere $2,152 –268 –12%
    American Electric Power $1,943 –32 –2%
    Principal Financial $1,641 –49 –3%
    FirstEnergy $1,495 –16 –1%
    Prudential Financial $1,440 –346 –24%
    Xcel Energy $1,434 –34 –2%
    Devon Energy $1,297 –14 –1%
    DTE Energy $1,215 –17 –1%
    Halliburton $1,082 –19 –2%
    Netflix $856 –22 –3%
    Whirlpool $717 –70 –10%
    Eli Lilly $598 –54 –9%
    IBM $500 –342 –68%
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber $440 –15 –3%
    Penske Automotive Group $393 –16 –4%
    Aramark $315 –48 –15%
    AECOM Technology $238 –122 –51%
    Tech Data $203 –10 –5%
    Performance Food Group $192 –9 –4%
    Arrow Electronics $167 –12 –7%

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    11,727
    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    You have the 1099 issued. For them to restate and not give her a copy would be a big problem on their end.
    This assumes a basic level of competency and fucks given on their end. But, she found out yesterday that they switched their business entity halfway through the year (such a change would have been obvious to me when her DDs came through, except they were still paying her through Venmo at the time). She'll be getting a second 1099 from the previous entity. As to when, "we're working on it."



    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Also don’t forget the supplies.
    I should write up a hospital-esque chargemaster. Detergent - $25/load; dryer sheets - $75/ea; and so on.

    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    ...and the miles between the two places she's doing business, yes?
    3.6 miles RT.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,668
    Oh man those morons.

    How many contract employees other than your wife do they have? I think the fine is $50 per late 1099.
    Live Free or Die

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    11,727
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    How many contract employees other than your wife do they have? I think the fine is $50 per late 1099.
    About a dozen between the two locations they own. Not enough for it to be a financial concern for them.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    11,727
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Does *anybody* still itemize??
    Rich people with gigantic mortgages. I read recently that over 85% of people are expected to take the SD this year.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    5,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Rich people with gigantic mortgages.
    I think that there's a limit even on that, isn't there?

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    in the mouth of a desert
    Posts
    2,146
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I've used it for over a decade. Never had a problem.
    A little late RE: FreeTax, but same-same for me as Makers.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Mayonnaisium
    Posts
    7,344
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I think that there's a limit even on that, isn't there?
    Residential mortgage interest deductions for the first $750k or 1MM are still allowed. No cap for commercial mortgage interest deductions.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Where bankers' bankers breed
    Posts
    2,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Small biz owner

    Drumpf gave me a happy ending last year. Expect the same this year.

    Unfuckingbelieveable

    If you are independently employed and can create the right biz for 2020 you can win bigly too

    Accountants lawyers and famous folks can’t do it. But otherwise see what you can do. I didn’t change anything but my 2018 tax bill was schweet
    Drumpf gave me a kick in the nuts last year. Lost most of my itemized deductions. Blue stater here with high property taxes and sizable mortgage interest.
    All the years combine
    they melt into a dream

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sandy by the front
    Posts
    1,906
    Here is what the Tax Foundation says about the number of filers who itemize. I think the important thing to note is pre tax reform 30% of filers itemized. I am not saying it is not a significant drop but 70% of filers never itemized.

    We estimate about 13.7 percent of taxpayers will itemize in 2019. This is more than 17 percentage points lower than it would have been in 2019 under pre-TCJA law.

    I understand the angst about the limit on state and local tax deductions. States that do not have an income tax (that is not me) have been getting the short end of the stick for years. There was a time that filers could take a sales tax deduction based on your income and the amount of sales tax (%) that your state charged. The states that do not have income tax fund their operations somehow, my guess is through other taxes. States that charge high sales tax deny their residents an opportunity to take a deduction.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SE USA
    Posts
    2,332
    ^ a lot of the states did not increase their standard deduction the way federal did. So there is an arbitrage where Itemized, while lower than standard on fed, saves aggregate tax. But, yeah, on the whole, itemized are a thing of the past. Only exception I'm seeing are the property contribution trusts.
    "Can't you see..."

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    12,659
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Here is what the Tax Foundation says about the number of filers who itemize. I think the important thing to note is pre tax reform 30% of filers itemized. I am not saying it is not a significant drop but 70% of filers never itemized.

    We estimate about 13.7 percent of taxpayers will itemize in 2019. This is more than 17 percentage points lower than it would have been in 2019 under pre-TCJA law.

    I understand the angst about the limit on state and local tax deductions. States that do not have an income tax (that is not me) have been getting the short end of the stick for years. There was a time that filers could take a sales tax deduction based on your income and the amount of sales tax (%) that your state charged. The states that do not have income tax fund their operations somehow, my guess is through other taxes. States that charge high sales tax deny their residents an opportunity to take a deduction.
    Residents of states without income tax have not been getting the short end of the stick. True--they don't get to deduct the tax from their income, but they don't have to pay the tax in the first place, which saves them a lot more money than the deduction does. This whole thing about the high tax states taking advantage of the low tax states is a bullshit pseudopopulist argument dreamed up by the Republicans to help justify their tax bill and to divert attention from the giveaway to the wealthy.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Eburg
    Posts
    13,302
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Charitable deductions are still good as long as you do not take the standard deduction.
    Uh, yeah. duh

    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Except lots more people now take the standard.
    this

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •