Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WTB: Budget frontside skis

This may come as a surprise to many of you, but "winter" on the east coast (and specifically outside of northern Vermont) can be fickle. Between this and the reality of life with two kids, it's much more likely that my ski days may need to be spent on groomers, and those groomers may often be.... firm.

Looking for a pair of frontside skis, 175ish in length, 80ish underfoot. Priority towards something fairly recent (all my shit is 7-10 years old at the moment and approaching scrap value). Not looking for race boards, not looking for 95-105mm skis that do surprisingly well on groomers for how great they float. Looking for something that makes ripping groomers fun. Nothing too demanding for my 160lb, occasionally lazy technique. Edges need to be in 8 out of 10 or better shape. $200 or less if possible.

Current daily drivers are beat up Volkl Bridges that'll probably get a tune to try to breath a little more life into them, so I've got something more playful/versatile when needed.

Aside from snide comments about wanting skis that are too short/narrow, what's everyone got?

If your willing to go a little longer and a bit higher in budget I have these.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=332239

Dynastar Legend x84 184

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Little more than stated budget but this thing would rip in 175

https://www.levelninesports.com/fisc...6-ti-skis-2019

watch this space: https://www.sierra.com/skis~d~9694/liberty-skis~b~3517/
    Liberty V76 and V82 selling new at $199 and $299. As far as I can tell the $199 skis are all too short but maybe you could find a coupon or maybe the $299s will be marked further down.

Have you skied a pair of SL race skis lately?
    They definitely make the most of groomers. You don’t have to force them into a SL turn, you can just roll em on edge and let em arc, it’s phenomenal really.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Have you skied a pair of SL race skis lately?
    They definitely make the most of groomers. You don’t have to force them into a SL turn, you can just roll em on edge and let em arc, it’s phenomenal really.
    Been thinking about something like this. Is a Super Slalom ski a thing?

180cm Brahmas?

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    I’ll let you try mine next weekend if you want... Dynastar race room 170 SL ski. I may have an extra pair to give you if you like them.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Stockli Laser SC! Look into it.

Edit, believe it or not I have a pair of 155 blizzards with a huge heavy aluminum plate and din20 markers and they rail effortlessly. If you don’t try to drive and snap them they’re just easy railroad tracks. If you start getting cute and trying to pop them around, well...welcome to the rodeo.

It’s thread drift now though, bc OP said no race skis. I just had to interject. Idunno.

Quote Originally Posted by ts01 View Post
    watch this space: https://www.sierra.com/skis~d~9694/liberty-skis~b~3517/
    Liberty V76 and V82 selling new at $199 and $299. As far as I can tell the $199 skis are all too short but maybe you could find a coupon or maybe the $299s will be marked further down.
    This.

I just bought the V92s in the 179 length and they absolutely slay hardpack at Magique. Even at $299, the V82s are what you want.

I've never seen lazy technique from you...

Depending on your BSL you can try the V92s this weekend if you're coming over.

Edited to add: Looks like the V82 is only available in 172 or 186 but the V76 is available in 179. These have a bit of tip rocker so they ski like a 175. Liberty didn't make the narrower versions wimpier than the wider versions...just different shapes but same construction.

Edited to add X2: I have a pair of the Fischer Pro Mountain 86Tis mentioned above in 182cm mounted with Look PX12 at 315mm bsl I'd sell cheap ($250-ish) because the V92s have made them obsolete for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    This.

I just bought the V92s in the 179 length and they absolutely slay hardpack at Magique. Even at $299, the V82s are what you want.....
    Good to hear that take on the V92s. I just picked up the Liberty Evolv90 through another non-Sierra channel and can't wait to ski it on hard eastern snow (the only kind) a bit further south and flatter than Magic.

I hear what folks are saying about the SL skis, but suggest the OP trust his "no race skis" instinct. I've been on a pair of 170 cm Head slaloms for about 10 or 12 days now this season, and they are fun as hell but full days yo-yoing on these wear me out. Maybe I'm old, and definitely I'm stupid - i.e., I'm on tele bindings. But whatever you do with your heels it's hard to argue with a 13m radius - and at a certain velocity you can lose that argument. So I'm looking forward to a longer radius - it was a fun flirtation with the SL skis and they'll certainly stay in the quiver but not as daily drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    I’ll let you try mine next weekend if you want... Dynastar race room 170 SL ski. I may have an extra pair to give you if you like them.
    Not to imply they are not fun...but those are recreational "race", not the real deal. Rules (for many years) don't allow over 165cm. The 165 FIS SL's have a lot more beef and are pretty stable at speed.

If you want to try racy skis, I have a nice pair of Atomic master GS skis. 183cm, 26.2M. They fly.

I'll let you have them with bindings for $200+ ship (including x-12 bindings) or p/u in Utah.

or
    If you want oldie but goody...

I have a pair of 2003/04 Dynastar Speed Course 64 GS 184cm/21.5M radius
    92-64-104
    Pivot 14 bindings

Use: 28 days plus one when I bought them--ground by Podium to .7/3 on 2/15/2016 after 9 uses.
    I bought these NOS in 2014 as cheap rock skis but they turned out to be super fun. You can relax on this ski more than most of my other race skis but they are super rewarding when you put the spurs to them. Forgiving in that old school technique or modern technique works. They are versatile, smooth and damp and love to just haul ass. Really fun crud ski if you don't need/want float. The tails are stiff so they can be tricky in bumps but if you stay forward, no problem. They are what I wanted Kastle MX78s and a bunch of other "front-side carvers" I've owned or demoed to be. realskiers.com review back in 2004:
    This is the one Erik Schlopy skis for fun (@184). Very close to a true laminate race GS. Use in gates, but, for skilled speed merchants, good choice for extreme speed on groomed. Exceptionally smooth.

How about $100 plus shipping including binders?

2nd for the Stockli Laser SC (super carve).

Quote Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post
    Not to imply they are not fun...but those are recreational "race", not the real deal. Rules (for many years) don't allow over 165cm. The 165 FIS SL's have a lot more beef and are pretty stable at speed.
    165cm is the minimum FIS length for men, you can certainly ski longer. Pretty sure mine are the real deal as they were handed to me by Tim Curran of Dynastar after setting up a day of testing for a Nor-Am Lange/Dynastar athlete I was coaching at the time.

edit: appears mine are 167cm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4278.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	747.2 KB 
ID:	313097  

What year are those? Most softer rec. slalom skis can be had from 166-175ish.

And yes, sorry, 165cm is the minimum men's length...my bad. Never seen a FIS ski bigger than 165 though. You are obviouly more in the know than me though.

What year are those? Most softer rec. slalom skis can be had from 166-175ish.

And yes, sorry, 165cm is the minimum men's length...my bad. Never seen a FIS ski bigger than 165 though. You are obviouly more in the know than me though.
    These would be 2001-02 as testing was done before the '02 Olympics in SLC.

... a pair of 2003/04 Dynastar Speed Course 64 GS 184cm/21.5M radius
    92-64-104 ...
    This is the one Erik Schlopy skis for fun (@184). ...
    We may have different notions of fun - I can't help remembering this picture:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	erik_schlopy_crashing_during_a_race_in_solden_austria_october_2003.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	313109

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    These would be 2001-02 as testing was done before the '02 Olympics in SLC.
    Ahh, those were the days you couldn't just go buy race skis. And race room was race room. Very cool.

FIS slalom skis are super fun, I picked up a cheap pair at a ski swap last fall and I’m almost happy when the Loaf gets another thaw/freeze cycle.

There are a lot of decent front side skis around now. Blizzard makes some easy skiing carvers and you could probably find some Völkl Codes for cheap these days.

WTB: Budget frontside skis

Laser SC for around $200, yeah that’s not gonna happen. Great fucking ski, but they ain’t cheap. If you can find a used Blizzard SRC for low money that ski rips. I also like the HRC, 76 underfoot, turns are built in.
    crab in my shoe mouth

I have some beat up 170 laser SC, marker demo binders, need a tune....I got these used and skied them as my zipperlining ski for a few years. would trade for a set of pivot/fks or sell for enough to buy some used pivot/fks. $150?
    Again, thread drift...I dunno. OP probably doesn’t want these.

2016 Head Monster 83 177cm in super condition but need bindings.

Drilled for FKS at +1 for a 300bsl.

$175 shipped.

I have SL skis & am located VT- pm

Quote Originally Posted by FlimFlamvanHam View Post
    2016 Head Monster 83 177cm in super condition but need bindings.

Drilled for FKS at +1 for a 300bsl.

$175 shipped.
    I have a pair of these. Awesome skis!

Lots of info on them over on pugski. They dumbed them down after 2016.

Ski them on the line.