Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

showed the vid to the 15 yr old during the ice descent he remarked, " Oh, that's really stupid"

man that video had the worst soundtrack ever!!

Quote Originally Posted by gobblehoof View Post
    man that video had the worst soundtrack ever!!
    Not to mention music levels were cranked right up. Buddy can ski but has the worst taste in music and whoever edited should probably un-fuck his ear holes and figure it out.

Damn. I've been binging his channel lately. Hope he has a fast recovery! Achilles tendon is no joke!
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Damn. I've been binging his channel lately. Hope he has a fast recovery! Achilles tendon is no joke!
    He's got a longer film about a boat trip coming out soon.

Was looking for a release date and saw that he fucked himself up good. Looks like the film will be release on youtube in December.

Bummer

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Who would have thought that there are rocks early season.....
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Who would have thought that there are rocks early season.....
    He posted something about probing his landing zone, then hitting rocks in the runout, which seems like a pretty classic way to fuck yourself up early season.

But in general it's hard to watch this guy's vids and not wonder when he'll get himself seriously injured or dead. He skis hard in a terrain and avy conditions that would cause many others to back off. I watched a vid of his the other day when he and his partners discuss doing a ski cut to a safe zone above an area where they saw shooting cracks. Then the first skier down blows off the ski cut while hauling ass down the entire couloir and they all seem to think that's ok (and decide to leave it in the film).

But the skiing is pretty rad and I like the vibe when they aren't being all casual about making questionable decisions...

Fair enough. I can't watch him or tof anymore knowing that they are pretty good examples of the Cham scene where people die all the time and then the remaining are talking about "those unpredictable tragedies".

I think atrain( he's tabke...or do I confuse him with someone else?) had some nice Response on his insta last year which sums this up fairly nicely.

It doesn't bother me that they do what they do(hell....I ski stuff on the munter limit all the time), it's just that the scene pretends to be surprised if things go wrong.

Edit: but one thing actually bugs me: why the fuck post a picture of the heli rescue with all those twinkely dinkely smilies? And that's not just a generational thing it's an idiot or not thing. And then more morons reply with " go hard or go home "
    Last edited by subtle plague; 10-22-2021 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Truth.
    I'm about six months post-op on mine.
    Late season rocks though.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Fair enough. I can't watch him or tof anymore knowing that they are pretty good examples of the Cham scene where people die all the time and then the remaining are talking about "those unpredictable tragedies".

I think atrain( he's tabke...or do I confuse him with someone else?) had some nice Response on his insta last year which sums this up fairly nicely.

It doesn't bother me that they do what they do(hell....I ski stuff on the munter limit all the time), it's just that the scene pretends to be surprised if things go wrong.

Edit: but one thing actually bugs me: why the fuck post a picture of the heli rescue with all those twinkely dinkely smilies? And that's not just a generational thing it's an idiot or not thing. And then more morons reply with " go hard or go home "
    Tabke's handle here is Alto.
    Atrain is different dude

Ah yeah... Thanks. I just knew he was here. Well it was him with the insta comment. Thanks for the board Name.

Edit: and we also have aldo.

I've followed Schirmer for years and found him very entertaining but I feel he's too closely tied to his productions and to building engaging content. At times he seems to be genuinely pushing the limit, in a reckless way, but most of the time I think he's just hyping the situation and broing out for the added drama and effect. He embodies a different style of communication and interaction - a social media/influence aesthetic, that those of us above 30 (who didn't come of age with social media) have a hard time understanding. I read through a lot of his YT comments and the general viewer seems relatively uniformed about ski touring/freeriding, but they think Schirmer's a god for "pulling off" what he does. I think in reality he's one of dozens of talented pros who are really pushing the game in the backcountry, but he's the best at exploiting his decisions for clicks.

Hence the smiles on the heli, hence the downplay about "uhoh, I guess I got injured this time." The difference with Tof, to me, is that he is truly at the top of the game (with Heitz) and has the ego from operating and surviving at that level. I don't think that condones his actions/perceived attitude, but it makes sense when he's purposely tempting fate. Tof also seems genuinely elated and absorbed with his chosen pursuit. Nico comes off as loving the journey, the story, the exploration and ultimately the exposure/end result. I don't doubt he loves skiing, but there's a bigger mix of elements at play vs Tof's singular vision (arguably the epitome of the Cham scene?).

Nico is pushing the limit, but not nearly at the same level. He's pretty talented on skis and massively talented with storytelling/editing, but I wonder how far he can spin the wool of a new adventure/caper/close call each time out? I'll keep watching and I'll continue to credit him for pulling off what he does; for growth the sport needs people at the fringe, pushing things in different ways.

^^ Agree. Niko is a beast, but a lot of the lines he skis are mini-golf compared to the stuff that Tof/Heitz/Anthamatten are hitting in Europe (and the upcoming film in the Himalaya/Andes/etc.)
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

I saw movies with heitz, but not so much with tog Henry.

Anyway, what I really like to watch is Paul Bonhomme and Vivien

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Less gnarly but still a beautiful new vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLi7pyxKu70

Part of me thinks 'oh yeah easy to have an experience like that when you're in Norway' but I bet there's a comparably awesome experience in my home mountains if I look for it.

I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    That wss really entertaining. He does a great job with his vids. Awesome skier and nice guy. Hope he's healing up well

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

And a brilliant narrator

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app