Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I need a new kids bike with 24 inch tires

My precious 8 year old baby has outgrown his Orbea MX20. This was an awesome bike, complete with QRs and hydro disc brakes and fully rigid.

I don't think he is tall enough for a small frame 26-inch bike. He is 52 inches tall, with an inseam of about 23 inches. I suspect we are looking at something with 24 inch wheels. I think he is ready for front suspension; undecided about full suspension, mainly because of the extra poundage.

Any advice on what models to look at? I'm leaning toward something used in the $750 range, though there does not seem to be a lot out there.

TIA>

I have a totally cherry transition ripchord that I’ll sell you for that.

Pm me

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Where are you?

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I have a totally cherry transition ripchord that I’ll sell you for that.

Damn, my 7 year old isn't quite ready for that bike, but if he passes, I may need to stockpile a bike.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I think cloud cult and I have a deal.

Built from a frame up, 900 gram tubeless wheels, sram 1x11, Sid fork custom valved for kid weight, carbon bars. It’s a sweet ride for sure.

Man, that’s a sweet deal. I love the hookups you see on this place especially when it comes to getting people hooked up for the kiddos. Love the kids skiing section on gear swap for that reason.

Cloud cult, sell it to me when you're done. My kid will be ready for it in two years.

next...

I have a decent-not-great 24" bike in the shed waiting for my kid to grow into it (should be this spring), but if anyone else is selling the sweetness like that, I want it!

Will be selling her 20" Spawn as soon as she's comfortably on the 24.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I'm also in the market for a 24" bike. We'll be going on a road trip for about a month in mid March through Denver, Fruita, Moab, and over to Grand Canyon. Probably not necessary to have it before then, but wouldn't hurt either.

Seth

For those in Colorado or close by, I’d stay on the lookout for Trailcrafts 24” bike on Craigslist/pink bike, etc. It’s amazingly light and lets my kid follow me on stuff he couldn’t before. Put a 26t ring in the front and they can climb some stuff for real.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaSnow View Post
    For those in Colorado or close by, I’d stay on the lookout for Trailcrafts 24” bike on Craigslist/pink bike, etc. It’s amazingly light and lets my kid follow me on stuff he couldn’t before. Put a 26t ring in the front and they can climb some stuff for real.

Thanks, that bike wasn't on my radar.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I see them listed from the company all the time, but hardly ever see used ones.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I had to get one for the second little...my hopes were that the older would grow enough to put her little sister on the transition. I bought a demo direct from them that had been ridden around the parking lot. Save a few hundred bucks.

In a year or so I’ll have one for sale.

If you see one used they usually move fast if priced right.

I need a new kids bike with 24 inch tires

What do the mags think? This is for my to be 7 year old and can sit around for a bit until he grows into it.

My oldest was much more aggressive at this age so I was willing to spend even more money but this guy aint to shabby either. My oldest jumped from a 20 incher to a 27.5 junior bike. The younger guy needs an intermediate bike b/w the two. these two are the current contenders.

See some stuff at 1k that's much better but would like to stay lower. I suppose resale is a factor but hasn’t worked out in past.

650 shipped. no listed weight
    Diamondback Sync’r 24
    https://www.diamondback.com/mountain...-24-black-2222

550 shipped. ~25 lbs
    Vitus Nucleus 24 Youth Bike 2020
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod181444

My 9yo loves his, about in your price range too.

https://www.clearybikes.com/collecti...ut-24-10-speed

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/timber..._timberjack_24

This bike seems to fit and work really well for my 9 year old. Only wish tubeless was an option.

Most of the feedback I get back bike shop and MTB club folks is that kid's shocks are pretty much worthless -- not to mention extra weight -- unless you go with the uber-duber-expensive bike.

NOrco has a pretty awesome range of affordable and super functional kids mtbs... check 'em out

The cleary was on my radar. thanks. and good point about the shock Ivana

I've checked out the Norco youth line but it's more the premium kids bikes that look really well done. the $600-700 range doesn't look to compete as well.

Prevelo makes a real sick 24 inch bike but it's creeping closer to $1k

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    What do the mags think? This is for my to be 7 year old and can sit around for a bit until he grows into it.

My oldest was much more aggressive at this age so I was willing to spend even more money but this guy aint to shabby either. My oldest jumped from a 20 incher to a 27.5 junior bike. The younger guy needs an intermediate bike b/w the two. these two are the current contenders.

See some stuff at 1k that's much better but would like to stay lower. I suppose resale is a factor but hasn’t worked out in past.

650 shipped. no listed weight
    Diamondback Sync’r 24
    https://www.diamondback.com/mountain...-24-black-2222

550 shipped. ~25 lbs
    Vitus Nucleus 24 Youth Bike 2020
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod181444
    I don't think you can do better than the Vitus for that price. The DB has a better drivetrain and slightly better brakes (2-finger levers) but those 2.8 tires are going to be pigs. I'll bet you it weighs at least 3-4 lbs more than the Vitus, which is huuuge. I think those Rocket Rons are the lightest 24" tires available. Geo looks better on the Vitus, too. Geo is the only thing you can't fix with money.

Get the Vitus and spend the $100 you saved on a drivetrain and/or brake upgrade if you decide you need it later.

Ha. was hoping you would chime in. The fatty tires are like biking on a cloud though. Yeah. probably going to pull trig on Vitus, unless I get real excited and decide to up the budget.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Ha. was hoping you would chime in. The fatty tires are like biking on a cloud though. Yeah. probably going to pull trig on Vitus, unless I get real excited and decide to up the budget.
    I was also waiting on him to jump in here. I can’t really buy a kids bike before getting your opinion Dan.

My 8 year old has outgrown his 20” Yama Jama. Any reason not to just go with the 24” Yama Jama, or is there something better at that price range.

Nukeproof Cub Scout 24 Race looks like a hell of a bike: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod186242

Commencal Meta HT 24 also looks really solid, though not quite as nice as the Nukeproof IMO: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod192494

The Nukeproof comes with a 100 mm fork while the Meta gets a 120, but I'm pretty sure the 100mm version can be internally adjusted to 120 mm.

The YJ is still a nice bike, but IMO not worth $300 more than the Nukeproof. I'm definitely biased, but there's no way the Reba 26 is better than the Manitou JUNIT forks. The only real knock on the Nukeproof is the 27.2 seat tube which limits your dropper options a bit, if that's a concern. Still lots of options though.

I haven't exhaustively researched 24" hardtails, but your probably won't do better than the Nukeproof for $1,000. Definitely get something with Manitou suspension, but check the specs. You want the "Expert Air" not the "TS Air," preferably.