Thread: Scott freeguide

Scott freeguide

first look at a new boot from Scott, over at wildsnow, not much info really but " It sits nicely amongst its stiff, freeride-oriented brethren like the Maestrale RS, Tecnica Zero G, Solomon S Lab and Hoji Free at a weight of 1430 grams (26.5) "

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scottboot.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	316.7 KB 
ID:	312738
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The first thing I see that will make sure I don't buy that boot is the BOA enclosure system. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    The first thing I see that will make sure I don't buy that boot is the BOA enclosure system. No thanks.
    That’s on the liner, so hardly catastrophic should it fail.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I know it's on the liner, but I really hate all the push toward using a cable type system enclosure. Nothing like planned obsolescence.

yeah it might be good in real life but at a glance the BOA liner doesn't do it for me either, I would have been way more impressed if Scott just sprang for Intuition liners like Scarpa does, you never hear anybody complain about the liners in a Maestrale and no body would have bitched if Scott spec'ed an intuition liner in this boot either

The boot appears to have fixed cuff hinges so no adjustment for cuff alignment, lots of PZ fasteners holding on the soles and hardware bits, no idea if the buckles stay captured when undone, a 2 piece tongue which makes me wonder how they make this boot 130 stiff, Is there a pylon in the back like on a Vulcan ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I think the Boa systems have matured quite a bit. The F1s use them on the forefoot without incident. I think manufacturers have figured out better use-cases for them, in areas where they aren't under a lot of stress.

Anyone have real experience with these?

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    I think the Boa systems have matured quite a bit. The F1s use them on the forefoot without incident. I think manufacturers have figured out better use-cases for them, in areas where they aren't under a lot of stress.
    They've worked well in ski touring boot applications like the F1 and Backland Carbon. I think a lot of the failures in the past were in snowboard boots, where the user buys them too big and tries to compensate by over-cranking the Boa.

These look like they'll check off all the boxes for me for new boots next season. They would be replacing heavily punched la sportiva spectre's. I'll be comparing the Freeguide to the Hoji and seeing what works from there.