PERONEAL TENDONOPATHY THREAD

Is my season over? How long is the recovery period? I have no idea.

Symptoms presented yesterday. Outside mid and upper ankle pain...instability, some swelling

This was not a trauma induced injury. I am going to treat with PRICE method. Tape, ice, inactivity (rest) elevate and NSAID
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

This is the strangest thing. Monday, for no apparent reason, I woke up and the outside of my right ankle was killing me. It was so bad that there was no way that I could put a ski boot on my foot. It worsened as the day progressed. It became so bad that I could not walk without a pronounced limp. When I woke up on Tuesday, it was worse. I could not place any weight on it, and could only walk with a crutch. I taped and iced all day. Wednesday was the same as Tuesday. I made an appointment with a local orthopedist for next Tuesday. I thought that there is the real possibility that my ski season is over. Today, when I woke up, the pain was much less severe. Now, I am weight bearing, and walk with only the slightest of limps. Still not ready to ski today, but am optimistic.
    Because of the location of the pain, I self-diagnosed as either Peroneal tendonopathy or a torn achilles tendon. Today, I am thinking that maybe it is gout. The only recent medical history is a colonoscopy under anesthesia, but I'm pretty certain that there is no blood clot.
    I'm optimistic, but puzzled.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

You probably can deal with the pain & ski, but you need to figure the instigator and fix that.
    Somehow, you have an imbalance & your peroneal tendon has been overstressed.

I had surgery for this condition in 2001 & came back from it fine, but it was a solid 6wks of no weight bearing, then recovery of strength/flexibility etc...so you don't want that time off.

I'm dealing with it again when I lost feeling to my foot from an S1-L5 disc impingement. My foot has lost strength, and I struggle to stabilize the foot.

Current course of action is orthotics to reposition the foot better temporarily & PT. I may be headed towards a nerve conduction study next if I don't get response.

Talk to a trusted doc & PT and get some proactive help...don't wait on it

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    I'm dealing with it again when I lost feeling to my foot from an S1-L5 disc impingement. My foot has lost strength, and I struggle to stabilize the foot.

Current course of action is orthotics to reposition the foot better temporarily & PT. I may be headed towards a nerve conduction study next if I don't get response.

good luck!
    I’m sure you’ve heard this before... but it’s worth repeating. Peripheral nerves regenerate at a rate of approximately 1mm/day (after the insult to the nerve root has resolved). The L5 never root controls your peroneal muscles. If ya do the math on the distance between the nerve root and the NM junction, it’s really big! Patience is a virtue in recovering neuromuscular function...

Quote Originally Posted by bourbonisgood View Post
    I’m sure you’ve heard this before... but it’s worth repeating. Peripheral nerves regenerate at a rate of approximately 1mm/day (after the insult to the nerve root has resolved). The L5 never root controls your peroneal muscles. If ya do the math on the distance between the nerve root and the NM junction, it’s really big! Patience is a virtue in recovering neuromuscular function...
    If I have heard it, I hadn't really processed it. So, thx for the repeat
    in freedom units, that's a little over 1"/month

@OP, i find it totally credible the pain came on fairly quickly, as I had a similar experience. It may be that a line was crossed that your peroneal tendon couldn't handle the load

(i'm skeptical you tore your achilles cuz that would be more debilitating, i'm guessing)

If the l5 nerve has permanent impingement it might not get better without surgery. I'm 10 months out after back surgery and I still have weakness. No complaints because I couldn't walk more than 50 ft without my leg going numb before and I just finished a 5 mile hike. Read the back surgery threads for more info "Bulged/Herniated Disc Advice?"

I don't think that this has anything to do with my back. I am very familiar with herniations and bulges, with and w/o impingement. This was not radicular pain, or a numbing pain. It was a localized, severe sharp pain

PERONEAL TENDONOPATHY THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I don't think that this has anything to do with my back. I am very familiar with herniations and bulges, with and w/o impingement. This was not radicular pain, or a numbing pain. It was a localized, severe sharp pain
    Yeah sorry I derailed the thread a bit, just wanted to provide some insight to the previous post which is entirely a different problem than yours. Sounds as if yours was a true tendinopathy and is resolving quickly. Keep us updated if you continue to have issues. There are a bunch of things that can cause idiopathic peroneal tendon pain

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ya know ya can call ask my wife
    and be needled
    im more of a control my gout and uncle splats cbd cream guy
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Last night, Uta mentioned that. Otherwise, pure gold

I think my story is somewhere in here.

Long story short, around October 94 I was mountain biking and had to hop off after a stall out on a short climb. I turned my right ankle, bad. I was a dirt bag with no HI so I rested it, iced it and was able to put it in a ski boot by Thanksgiving.

I skied on it and ski patrolled on it until around 2012 when I began having localized pain on the outside knob of the ankle along the lower side. 4-6 on a scale of 10. I managed it with ice and Ibuprofen. In spring of 2015 I was working and made a turn in heavy snow and something let go. I was barely able to ski down. Pain was 7-10, ankle felt weird.

It was a WC injury and the Ortho decided PT would do the trick. It helped some but the next season, 1st day on A/C I wasn't able to direct my R ski in deep snow. I went back to the Orto for an MRI. Partially torn Peroneal Tendon that was trying to pop out of the groove it is suppose to ride in to allow ankle motion. (Flex/extend)

Surgery was prescribed. My Ortho did the work, tendon was not torn across it was torn lengthwise in multiple strips. Ortho sewed it together as best as possible and deepened the groove it is suppose to ride in, also shortened up and re-sewed ankle ligaments to help stabilize the ankle.

8 weeks non weight bearing and then PT for a while followed by lots of biking and the like.

The ankle works well enough now but it is not like new.

Good luck, ankles are tricky joints.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Last night, Uta mentioned that. Otherwise, pure gold
    she says she can needle it
    and probably aint perional tedonwhateverz
    sounds like gout to me
    and shellfish sets off my gout
    which sucks cause i really dig shellfish
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

So was mine fwiw. Pain so sharp I couldn’t put any weight on my foot. Two days later pain was gone. Still weak but no pain. It was my back. The orthopedic didn't identify it as back related. Took a neurologist to believe me. Good luck
    Last edited by 4matic; 02-01-2020 at 05:41 PM.

If it's nerve pain, consider seeing somebody trained in Active Release Techniques. Most of them treat a lot of athletes.

http://www.activerelease.com/ART-for-Patients.asp

It doesn’t have to be nerve pain...OP, I’m sorry I got this sidewise, I should have kept quiet about my shit

OP, have you had any chance to figure out any new stressors for the foot?