Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Balaclava

Best Balaclava

I see a million different but similar options on Amazon for this. Are there are any truly unique/special ones out there? Kind of doubting it but making sure. Would like it to fit under a helmet well and + if it covers a decent part of the neck.

Attachment 312662Attachment 312663Attachment 312664Attachment 312666Attachment 312667Name:  61z+NeIp6VL._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  8.9 KBName:  81a39Rjy2ZL._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  16.5 KB

Blackstrap. Their design; where the facemask is separate from the neck gator at the face but connected behind the neck, is far superior to the designs where it’s just a head sock with a hole in it. You can move your mouth and head without it pulling, you can comfortably wear the face mask at the neck, chin, mouth, or nose...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Blackstrap. Their design; where the facemask is separate from the neck gator at the face but connected behind the neck, is far superior to the designs where it’s just a head sock with a hole in it. You can move your mouth and head without it pulling, you can comfortably wear the face mask at the neck, chin, mouth, or nose...

This, my kids love theirs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Blackstrap x3...! Without a doubt one of the best accessories I have purchased since moving from gloves to mitts...! I pretty much tried them all and was never happy with any of them and all were thrown away since buying the Blackstrap... The whole family now rocks them...

UA makes(made?) one like that. I love it.

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/me...pid1257995-001
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Another vote for Blackstrap here. A friend tried SA Company, cheap as hell but pretty low quality.

To what extent does the Blackstrap fog up goggles when up over the nose?

The one I had luck with for those really cold days (wouldn't want it on another) is the Seirus Magnemask - it's a little pricy but held up well when you need your nose covered but don't want the goggles to freeze.
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    UA makes(made?) one like that. I love it.

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/me...pid1257995-001
    I have this as well and it's my favorite balaclava.

Buff
    More utility and smaller in your pocket
    . . .

The one that DOES NOT have a seam running down the middle of your forehead. It leaves an unpleasant impression (for quite some time) post helmet removal. I found some more expensive versions that do not have the seam. Can't recall brand.

I’ve got this one and really like it. Doesn’t fog my goggles, easily pulls down below my mouth when needed. Fits under a helmet nicely.

On super cold days you can add a fleece neck tube over it but I’ve never needed to.

https://www.dakine.com/products/ninja-balaclava-w20-new

Every time I see the word balaclava, my mind sees this:

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I'm definitely going merino when I need a new one

I prefer a hoody most of the time
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

anything with that two part design is great.

I have this black diamond one for when it gets cold, amazing for keeping warm, only problem is the neck is kinda short in back.
    https://www.moosejaw.com/product/bla...clava_10317584

Phunkshun is also another good brand for these but similar in function to everything listed

Oyuki proclava is my go to, but anything with a hinged design generally works well enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    That looks nice.
    But I like an integral balaclava in my fleece midlayer ala:

https://www.mountain-equipment.com/eclipse-hooded-zip-t

or the old design Mountain Hardware Desna (shitty pinterest pic):

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/226094843777434647/

MH screwed the pooch when they redesigned the Desna giving it a hood that fits under the helmet but only zips up to beneath the chin.
    If anyone has an angle on an old MH Desna men's medium, let me know.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Best Balaclava

Everyone loves baklava

The material and thickness is important if you are going under any helmet. I have a stretch nylon one (probably similar to under armour, but have had it well beyond the founding of UA. Only thing about it is it does have a seam.

My other really cold weather (usually without a helmet) one I have is an EMS fleece but it does not work as well under a helmet unless it is a cycling helmet that can be adjusted a bit.

Rad balaclavas of rad poly finish are available for 4 dollars at your average home depot in Japan. These brands capitalizing on fleece offerings from China can fuck off. No major ski brand should be selling a fucking balaclava. If your balaclava says "Oakley" on it, you should find an option at the hardware store. It's the same shit.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayItLeo View Post
    Oyuki proclava is my go to, but anything with a hinged design generally works well enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have the merino wool version of the Oyuki. I love it. Thin under the helmet, warm enough, breathes well, doesn’t bunch/pinch like my Blackstrap one does sometimes.

Not a fan of merino on the face as it gets wet and doesnt dry.

A buff is 100% the best option. Pull it up over your head like a babusca, pull it down when it gets hot. I use a buff from +5c to -30c. Always works.

I have Blackstrap as well; the seams are not very thick, which is good for me as I shave my head and rough seams under a helmet annoy me about other balaclavas. It's not the warmest thing in the world as the fabric is about the same as a Buff in material and thickness, so it is not warm enough for my neck in super cold weather. I wore a neck sock over it in 5-15F temps over Christmas break and that was sufficient. Thanks to it being thin, it squishes flat and breathes well enough to not fog up my goggles on cold days where I pull it up over my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Not a fan of merino on the face as it gets wet and doesnt dry.

A buff is 100% the best option. Pull it up over your head like a babusca, pull it down when it gets hot. I use a buff from +5c to -30c. Always works.
    I find the buff gets all weird, pulls my hair around etc. I've been running the mons royale balaclavas. both the olympus and cold days one. Full merino, never stink, wear for 10 days straight. gf has been running the double up one like a buff.