Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Water resistant work pant?

So I alternate between waist deep in the snow to inside a house most days at work. Back and forth multiple times a day. My trusted carhartts just aren't cutting it and I'm getting sick of having half wet pants by mid day.

Something water resistant enough to dig out some propane tanks, yet cool enough to wear inside...and aren't made of super flimsy materials that will rip the moment you do any actual work with them on. I guess certain high end ski pants would fit the bill? Zip vents would be nice.

I assume if these magical pants exist they are like $400.

Carhartt almost has it with their shoreline pants, but only the insulated version has a gator cuffs and the non-insulated version still looks to be loud/annoying/rain coat hot/not breathable at all.

Outdoor Research Cirque Pants might fit the bill. They're what I would consider to be a heavy/burly softshell fabric, and they're not crazy expensive - I think full retail is $150.

^yep, i have some black color OR valhalla from back in day...they dont make anymore i dont believe...but made from gore windstopper, fully taped, great vents with no mesh, have inside leg gaiters....i have used for the same type of in and out work in the type of weather you are in....maybe the trailblazer is the replacement ,...not sure..but if you can find old /used valhalla pretty sure it would do the job for you
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Do you need a built-in gaiter? That definitely limits your options. I’m always on the fence between an old gore tex shell pant and something lighter.

There’s a ton of technical/tactical work pants that are poly/cotton blend, usually with a Teflon or other DWR coating out there that might fit the bill, though none of them are waterproof. I’m still trying to find the right ones, but pretty happy with these so far:

https://www.amazon.com/CharleyPants-...y+pants&sr=8-1

Disclaimer: they’re full-on fucking nerd pants, but the knee pads are super handy and after a tech wash they repel enough water to float my boat. Fabric is about the same thickness as a pair of dickie’s work pants, so not heavy and stiff like carhartts, and they dry a hell of a lot faster too. And a crotch gusset is pretty key for me, I’m always crawling under and over shit when I’m working outside.

There’s a lot of options in the $100-$150 range for technical work pants, like Helly Hansen workwear, and the nerd stuff for cops and those looking to survive the impending zombie apocalypse. Try https://www.iwantworkwear.com/ and https://www.marks.com/ The HH Chelsea Evolution pants might tick those boxes for you.

I use waterproof nylon pants with a full side zipper. A little oversize and they slip on over my pants and boots. Easy on; easy off.

You put a jacket on to go outside. You might as well put on pants too.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

https://www.cactusoutdoor.co.nz/hd-dreadnought.html

This is what you described.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

Good stuff. I'll look at the OR stuff. Those dreadnought pants look sweet too, but still pretty spendy even with NZD>USD conversion.

I want an inner cuff/gator (like ski pants) so that I can post hole through deep snow and not fill my muck boots.

Plus if said pants look like cotton jean material but actually are not.

Those HH pants do look pretty sweet.

subscribed
    watch out for snakes

Truewerk

$80. burly. softshell like material. for sure water/stain resistant and might be kicked up with a spray on dwr. I like them. Super comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Truewerk

$80. burly. softshell like material. for sure water/stain resistant and might be kicked up with a spray on dwr. I like them. Super comfy.
    FTW.

They’ve got a line of bibs out now too. Turned on to Truewerk from some Canadian framers in in cahoots with. Never buying any other work wear.

Quote Originally Posted by the_flying_v View Post
    FTW.

They’ve got a line of bibs out now too. Turned on to Truewerk from some Canadian framers in in cahoots with. Never buying any other work wear.
    Glad to see someone else in the know. They are good about warranty issues too. Super comfy, burly and I get compliments all the time. They also now have models that are more like dress pants, no cargo/side pockets.

Honestly good stuff.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

I guess good ole fashioned wool pants are out.
    watch out for snakes

I'd look at these if you're interested in something classic:
    https://www.filson.com/oil-finish-si...-fco-000000062

Other possibilities:
    https://www.filson.com/men/pants.html:

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I'd look at these if you're interested in something classic:
    https://www.filson.com/oil-finish-si...-fco-000000062

Other possibilities:
    https://www.filson.com/men/pants.html:
    $200 to trudge through swamps and snow? No way.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    $200 to trudge through swamps and snow? No way.
    I'd expect them to last longer than 4 pair of Carhartts...and work 4 times better.

Truewerks sent me a 15% off code for first order just for registering.

Still liking my old military wool pants.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Truewerks sent me a 15% off code for first order just for registering.

Still liking my old military wool pants.
    Yep they do that and likely will if you use a different email address for another order.

As for the 4x as long as carhartts I haven't had my truewerks more than 1.5 years but they look as good as day one and are washed weekly. I don't do construction, but spend a fair bit of time on manufacturing floor and climbing in ceilings wiring etc. Seem pretty dang good for $79. I even think that's steep but damned if they ain't comfy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Glad to hear good reviews about truewerk, I was wary because of the softshell material but it sounds like it’s pretty burly. The werkbib might be a good option for me, I’ve been working in and destroying spyder coaches bibs for far too long.

I don’t even bother with carhartts any more. By the time they’re broken in enough to move around in them, the front panels are worn through and the crotch is blown out. And once they’re wet, they’re wet all day. Done.

Re Truwerk pants: T2 vs. T3

Is the T3 pretty warm? Kinda want to not have to wear long underwear everyday if these are decently warm which I assume they are being a 10k membrane.

The 15% off first order makes these a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Re Truwerk pants: T2 vs. T3

Is the T3 pretty warm? Kinda want to not have to wear long underwear everyday if these are decently warm which I assume they are being a 10k membrane.

The 15% off first order makes these a no brainer.
    cannot comment as I only have T2, no need for extra weight/weather resistance. I'd imagine you'll be fine and if not, just return, they are really solid in the custy service dept.

Water resistant work pant?

Does anyone make a waxed cotton work pant?
    Like Filson without the Filson price tag?
    Duluth trading co?

Wow, thanks for posting filson and truwerk!
    I had no idea about either and they both look awesome in their own ways.

I wish I’d have had som of those filsons doing rainy Oregon forestry. We just wore wet jeans and suffered, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    I wish I’d have had som of those filsons doing rainy Oregon forestry.
    That’s pretty much their sweet spot, bashing thru wet salal and mud.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Outdoor Research Cirque Pants might fit the bill. They're what I would consider to be a heavy/burly softshell fabric, and they're not crazy expensive - I think full retail is $150.
    I’ve got a pair hardly used, men’s large, but fit more like a medium-hence why I am selling. $90CAD

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

This was just the kind of thing I'm looking for right now. Gave a pair of Duluth's a try on a whim after lots of recommendations for the boys in the maintenance shop at work, and realized this weekend in less than a year of infrequent use I'm wearing through the crotch.

Truewerks look like a winner BUT girlfriend was hoping on doing some pants shopping together. She was thinking Carhartt, but those don't work for me. We have a local high end clothing shop that's coming up on the Filson store locator, suppose we should go check those out. Do people think they are worth the funds?

EDIT: Scratch that, according to the shops online store they only carry Filson jackets and shirts. Think she might be getting Carhartt and I might grab some Truewerks.