Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I've always thought Carhartts were over rated. Wear out quick, especially the cuffs, and they suck for winter field work because the wide pant leg bottom lets too much cold air in. Also slow to dry. I'm speaking to the full cotton ones. They are good casual pants though.

I like my Mammut champs but they don't make those any more. Those truewerks sound good for the price, might have to grab a pair.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Said screw it and ordered the T3 last night. Will report back.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

jgb@etree Guest
    I like the duluth trading company firehose foreman pants. They seem to wear well, are comforable & stretchy and water beads and rolls right off of them.

I went for the T2 pants.

Looking forward to trying them out.
    watch out for snakes

i would really love to hear all those who bought truewerks about there experience. as said I dig them, but im a sample of one...would like to hear other mags input.

they do have a referral I shouldve asked you all to hook me up, but no biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Does anyone make a waxed cotton work pant?
    Like Filson without the Filson price tag?
    Duluth trading co?
    I have a pair of waxed bibs that I use a lot, but it appears they don't make them anymore.

Here's some other options: https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/brow..._SEQ_104057280

Duluth trading co?
    Fjallraven G-1000 fabric can be waxed for better weatherproofing. OP - I think their High Coast trouser is leaning in the direction you want.

https://www.fjallraven.com/us/en-us/...a7323450349325

I'm pretty sure those truewerks don't have gaiters. What job? I thought you are a realtor?

If you really are post poling in waist deep, just wear ski pants. I've gone through just about every type of winter work were. I've just come back to old ski clothes. You can usually get something serviceable cheap on TGR.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Duluth trading co?
    Easy enough to find something that fits and wax it yourself. Otterwax.com, Fjallraven makes a wax bar as well. Filson's a racket for beard waxers as far as I can tell.

I love this thread because it makes it clear that there are no widely-known, no-brainer solutions for waterproof pants under 100 bucks.

Might give that truwerk a spin if my 7 other pairs of "not quite perfect" rain pants shit the bed.

I can say I had high hopes for a pair from Kuhl that looked like regular old pants, but durability issues...

Merrell makes a comfy, slightly stretchy pant with DWR that has done alright for me, but it's not warm and it doesn't seem like it would be durable.

Ended up going with mammut mountaineering gtex pants on clearance for 90 bucks. Those are warm with a base layer. Also got a paclite pair from mountain hardwear as the company store is local.

Speaking of Columbia company store, Prana Brions are highly regarded in the hunting community (by some, anyway). They're not waterproof, but they're good work pants.

Best work pants, waterproof or not have been Lee Riggs. Mine are waterproof now after all the oil and grime from being my exclusive garage pant that never gets washed. Fuckin love those things. I can't seem to damage them. Fit much better than Carhartt.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I'm pretty sure those truewerks don't have gaiters. What job? I thought you are a realtor?
    selling snowed in ranches ....duh
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Otterwax.com....Filson's a racket for beard waxers as far as I can tell.
    just checked that out...$10/2oz ? [& a hipster portland co, no less]

maybe snoseal would work just fine at $6/8oz?

wax it yourself. .
    Name:  waxit.png
Views: 308
Size:  275.7 KB
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    I love this thread because it makes it clear that there are no widely-known, no-brainer solutions for waterproof pants under 100 bucks.

Might give that truwerk a spin if my 7 other pairs of "not quite perfect" rain pants shit the bed.

I can say I had high hopes for a pair from Kuhl that looked like regular old pants, but durability issues...

Merrell makes a comfy, slightly stretchy pant with DWR that has done alright for me, but it's not warm and it doesn't seem like it would be durable.

Ended up going with mammut mountaineering gtex pants on clearance for 90 bucks. Those are warm with a base layer. Also got a paclite pair from mountain hardwear as the company store is local.

Speaking of Columbia company store, Prana Brions are highly regarded in the hunting community (by some, anyway). They're not waterproof, but they're good work pants.

Best work pants, waterproof or not have been Lee Riggs. Mine are waterproof now after all the oil and grime from being my exclusive garage pant that never gets washed. Fuckin love those things. I can't seem to damage them. Fit much better than Carhartt.

I'm out on job sites 4 days a week in a town in Washington that gets 75-80 inches of sideways rain per year, and I've found the Grundens Weather Boss pants to be pretty damn good. You can find them on sale for $100-125.

They have gaiters, they breath a little bit (enough so that they don't get swampy as long as you aren't doing something aerobic for sustained periods of time) and are super durable/abrasion resistant.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Unpossible.

Filson's a racket for beard waxers as far as I can tell.
    Apparently you haven’t worked in northern woods, and can’t imagine what it’s like. Filson’s been a go-to for many, many years for people working in the woods.
    https://www.filson.com/our-company/history

I, and a lot of other wildland firefighters, wore a Filson vest on the fireline for years. It would have been amusing for you to walk into a fire camp back in the day and let the folks there know they were beard waxers.

Maybe the logger chic folks are wearing Filson, but if that’s a crime Carhartt people will hang side by side with them.

right here...like 8 yrs strong...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	odour.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	312935
    www.freeridesystems.com

My Pata Rubicon's are at least a decade old. Hundreds and hundreds of days of abuse. Still going. Why did they stop making that pant? Because it was too good and they wanted to piss off a bunch of patrollers?

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I'm out on job sites 4 days a week in a town in Washington that gets 75-80 inches of sideways rain per year, and I've found the Grundens Weather Boss pants to be pretty damn good. You can find them on sale for $100-125.

They have gaiters, they breath a little bit (enough so that they don't get swampy as long as you aren't doing something aerobic for sustained periods of time) and are super durable/abrasion resistant.
    Love my grundens for offshore fishing, which is only slightly less damp than being outdoors in the pnw 4 days a week. That much exposure and I'm starting to care much less about breathability.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    My Pata Rubicon's are at least a decade old. Hundreds and hundreds of days of abuse. Still going. Why did they stop making that pant? Because it was too good and they wanted to piss off a bunch of patrollers?
    They sure did. Those things were bomber, nothing else has come close.

And I hate Carhartt’s fit. That’s just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    They sure did. Those things were bomber, nothing else has come close.

And I hate Carhartt’s fit. That’s just me.
    I know there's another thread for this in Tech Talk right now, but it would be really nice to see resort-oriented outerwear start using really durable face fabrics again. Remember when it used to be easy to find high-end shells with burly ass face fabrics and even burlier reinforcements in high wear areas? Sure, they weighed a lot, and weren't that breathable, but that stuff isn't all that important for lift served skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Apparently you haven’t worked in northern woods, and can’t imagine what it’s like. Filson’s been a go-to for many, many years for people working in the woods.
    https://www.filson.com/our-company/history

I, and a lot of other wildland firefighters, wore a Filson vest on the fireline for years. It would have been amusing for you to walk into a fire camp back in the day and let the folks there know they were beard waxers.

Maybe the logger chic folks are wearing Filson, but if that’s a crime Carhartt people will hang side by side with them.
    Pretty sure Filson got bought by some fund several years ago. That's where the push to sell to new people came from.

Carhartt had their associated but distinct fashion company who's audience appears to have trickled back to the main brand as well.

What pants have the most durable crotches? Either I have big balls or I walk funny, I've gone through 4+ pairs of pants in the last year which I bought after several old (5-10 year) pairs finally wore out. I don't need crazy durable pants, I tend to walk a couple miles a day but not much more than that. Pics of blown out crotches available if needed

https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-f...nts-34506.html

13 oz. cotton. That's really heavy. The heaviest they make. And the crotch is gusseted. I don't care how big yer balls are, they will last years. I put 6 years of constant wear on a pair and blew out the thighs, but the crotch was still solid. And they gladly sent me a new pair for free. Absolutely as bomber as pants come.

Wrangler 47MWZ, if you're looking for jeans.

Others will have input on different styles, but I'm a simpleton and odds are good that if I'm wearing pants they're jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Pretty sure Filson got bought by some fund several years ago. That's where the push to sell to new people came from.
    You’re probably right. It’s the way of the world. Just like White’s boots got bought out by some big corp. I hate it, and I’m glad I wasn’t born any later.

Pics of blown out crotches available if needed
    No, don’t do that. I’m still trying to get over cmcrawfo’s balls.

I’ve been using Mountain Khakis’ Alpine pants for work pants for a while, but I like the looks of those Duluth firehose britches.