Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    This is good feedback, what size skis are you driving with these to compare to the ZGTP? I currently run 2020 Backland Carbons and Maestrale XT's but wouldn't mind something next season that slots in the middle a bit more. The Backlands ski just ok for me and we typically have longer approaches / bigger vert days that keep the XT's on the sideline a bit. I had ZGTP a few years ago and didn't feel like they walked much different than the Maestrales but kind of regret selling them. If the Free walks more like a Backland but skis a bit better (taller cuff, better flex) then I might opt to run just these next season.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stopper View Post
    This is good feedback, what size skis are you driving with these to compare to the ZGTP?
    My go-to has been the Blizzard Zero G 105 with both boots, will probably try the Zero G 95 with the Dalbellos soon.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    My go-to has been the Blizzard Zero G 105 with both boots, will probably try the Zero G 95 with the Dalbellos soon.

The Spectre set a pretty low bar - it collapsed as you loaded it up due to the bellows in the tongue. I own the Zero G Tour Pro and while it does ski better than the Free Factory 130, it doesn't tour as well even with the top two buckles undone and no power strap. In two days of touring, I have yet to feel a need to undo the power strap or top buckle on the Free Factory 130, the walk mode is that good.

As for length, the 27.5 Dalbello Quantums feel like a 26.8 (and sticking in a footbed made for a 26.5 alpine boot confirms this). Main problem was filling volume, I have a 1/8" foam pad over the toebox at present and might add more.
    Agreed... the Free Factory 130 walk mode is pretty good... you can definitely leave the strap and top cable buckle in-place...feels natural, no sloppiness...essentially you don't think about it...and that's a good thing...
    Mass-Produced Skiers Use Mass-Produced Skis
    Rip it up with something different.
    Support small and independent ski builders
    http://www.ExoticSkis.com

can anyone compared the 130 to a TLT6P? both as far as ski and tour.

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    can anyone compared the 130 to a TLT6P? both as far as ski and tour.
    It's been a few years since I owned the TLT6P, but if memory serves correctly the Quantum Free Factory 130 skis at least as well and tours better. It's the fit that's the potential issue - I sized up to 27.5 in the TLT6P and with a few punches for bunion/lateral width it was money. I'm in the 27.5 Dalbello as well, but the forefoot volume is much larger; I'm currently playing with 2-4mm of foam over the top of the toe box to tighten it up (still needed the width punched).

Well I have a handful of days in the Quantum Asolo and still to this day I can't get the heel sorted out. First I was getting a bad blister on the heel spur so I put some padding in on the lateral side which fixed it, but now I've got issues on my medial side. Can't win. Not a fan of this heel pocket but hoping I can figure it out because the rest is pretty swell.

If I have wide forefoot and skinny heel, and i find the mercury sketchy without the tongue. Am I going to hate these? I can get them really cheap so I am thinking to get them a size bigger than my highly punched dynafits, and put a mv or even hv pro-tour. These would mostly be for summer hiking with a bit of skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    If I have wide forefoot and skinny heel, and i find the mercury sketchy without the tongue. Am I going to hate these? I can get them really cheap so I am thinking to get them a size bigger than my highly punched dynafits, and put a mv or even hv pro-tour. These would mostly be for summer hiking with a bit of skiing.
    You are talking about the Quantum Free 130? I would hesitate to go a size bigger - I had the Mercury in a 27.5 (highly punched) and the Quantum Free 100mm last feels similar (also needed some big width punches). The two boots had similar excessive height in the toe box for me; I used adhesive foam over the liner toe on both. There is no "no tongue" option with the Quantum Free, so not sure if you'll hate them or not, but they ski well with the latch down and tour quite a bit better than the Mercury.

Asolo factory 100. Lengthwise I measure 27.5 and I should be in a 27.5 except my heel and instep is so small that I get 26.5 and punch them for length. I got a lot better at skiing in loose slack boots so I think I can go with something a bit more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    Asolo factory 100. Lengthwise I measure 27.5 and I should be in a 27.5 except my heel and instep is so small that I get 26.5 and punch them for length. I got a lot better at skiing in loose slack boots so I think I can go with something a bit more comfortable.
    Well, the ankle/heel fit on all the Quantum Free and Quantum Asolo boots is pretty roomy. A better fit would be an Atomic Backland, but would need even more work in the forefoot to make it wide enough (possible for my 117mm foot, though).

Hmm sounds like they just won't work. Too bad as the quantums were a great deal. I never liked the backlands. Realistically I need to find some beater summer dynafits as they are the only boots that work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by fasa View Post
    Any chance you can measure the internal length of the shell?
    I have a 28.5 ordered but think I should maybe size up...
    Been in a 28.5 Krypton and Lupo for years but am fit pretty aggressively in there... ended up sizing up on the Hoji Free due to a short BSL and am concerned I should be doing the same here...
    Would appreciate it if you can get a tape in there. Or if anyone else has info on how the fit compares to the Krypton/Lupo in terms of length?
    How did it go? What size did you end up getting? I'm the second one who is curious about how QFAF 130 sizing compares to Lupos. Been in 26.5 Lupo's for ages, from OG Il Moro, all the way to T.I. Factory Carbon. This sizing uncertainty they've introduced really sucks - I can't try QFAF 130 on here in NZ. Out of interest I measured the shell internals of my 26.5 T.I. FCR, and it is indeed similar to 27.5 QFAF 130 - now I'm super confused

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210916_160713.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	832.1 KB 
ID:	385534
    oh shit here comes the ground!

It's been a few years since I owned the TLT6P, but if memory serves correctly the Quantum Free Factory 130 skis at least as well and tours better. It's the fit that's the potential issue - I sized up to 27.5 in the TLT6P and with a few punches for bunion/lateral width it was money. I'm in the 27.5 Dalbello as well, but the forefoot volume is much larger; I'm currently playing with 2-4mm of foam over the top of the toe box to tighten it up (still needed the width punched).
    Hi Greg, in your blog you've mentioned you're measuring 27.8 on brannock - which is longer than the footbed of the 27.5 shell, according to the photo above. And it's just a bare foot, with no liner around it. And to top it up, you're saying you'd prefer to size down to 26.5 with punching. How does it make sense??

Looking at various QFAF 130 pics I'm getting an impression that the actual foot room protrudes fore and aft above the shell footbed quite a bit, which explains shorter footbed and BSL in comparison to Lupo's of the same mondo size. I just find it really hard to believe into this magnitude of sizing inconsistency between different boots made by the same company.

Is there any chance you can comment on sizing comparison between Krypton/Lupo and QFAF 130?

I ski a lupo/krypton in a 28 shell with a 1 finger shell fit and my 28 QF130s are un wearable for me. They feel tighter than my old 27 shell lupus.

Again my quantum factory 130s are brand new and I'll sell them for 509 shipped.

SOLD

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by japanada; 09-16-2021 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by japanada View Post
    I ski a lupo/krypton in a 28 shell with a 1 finger shell fit and my 28 QF130s are un wearable for me. They feel tighter than my old 27 shell lupus.

Again my quantum factory 130s are brand new and I'll sell them for 509 shipped.

SOLD

You're not talking about these ones https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ctory-28-5-550, right? You gave these the new, blue ones, without boa, like on the pics above, a shot too?

Quote Originally Posted by duboix View Post
    You're not talking about these ones https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ctory-28-5-550, right? You gave these the new, blue ones, without boa, like on the pics above, a shot too?
    Those ones indeed. The factory 130s. What I've seen is that the BSLs are the same.

Is there any chance you can comment on sizing comparison between Krypton/Lupo and QFAF 130?
    The dimensions at the base of the bootboard are not the same as the interior dimensions of the shell at foot level, either in length or width - the shell doesn't extend straight up, but curves out. What is important is the shell fit with your foot in the boot. I normally run between 9 and 11 millimeters of extra length in a 26.5 (add 10mm for a 27.5). I haven't been in a Krypton is a long time, but I used to take a 26.5 and I think I "could" use a 26.5 in the Quantum (main reason for going 27.5 was there was only 1 pair in the western US last spring and that was it).

Quote Originally Posted by japanada View Post
    Those ones indeed. The factory 130s. What I've seen is that the BSLs are the same.

The Quantum Asolo Factory (grey) and the Quantum Free Asolo Factory 130 (blue) have the same BSL but not the same fit - the blue one is roomier (I have both). Not sure I could have gone with a 26.5 in the grey one because even with the QLS (Dalbello version of Boa) all the way undone I can barely get my foot in the 27.5 - plus the carbon-reinforced shell is tougher to punch than the blue polyamide (Dalbello warns not to punch the grey one).

The dimensions at the base of the bootboard are not the same as the interior dimensions of the shell at foot level, either in length or width - the shell doesn't extend straight up, but curves out. What is important is the shell fit with your foot in the boot. I normally run between 9 and 11 millimeters of extra length in a 26.5 (add 10mm for a 27.5). I haven't been in a Krypton is a long time, but I used to take a 26.5 and I think I "could" use a 26.5 in the Quantum (main reason for going 27.5 was there was only 1 pair in the western US last spring and that was it).
    So what's your shell fit in 27.5 QFAF 130? And do you think it's safe to assume that with my feet measuring around 26.5 on Brannock, with about 20mm fit in my current 26.5 Krypton shell, I should comfortably fit (at least lengthwise) into 26.5 QFAF 130?

Sorry about all these questions, it's just I suddenly felt a strong desire to have this boot, and none of NZ retailers stock high-end Dalbello (because of that "kiwi's have wide feet" nonsense).

So what's your shell fit in 27.5 QFAF 130? And do you think it's safe to assume that with my feet measuring around 26.5 on Brannock, with about 20mm fit in my current 26.5 Krypton shell, I should comfortably fit (at least lengthwise) into 26.5 QFAF 130?
    Shell fit is ~23mm. I would say 26.5 is your size.

Shell fit is ~23mm. I would say 26.5 is your size.
    Legend!

Got them delivered. Probably won't have a chance to ski them until February - if Japan open borders by then, otherwise June. Will post initial fit impressions and comparison between Lupo 110, Lupo Factory Carbon, and Salomon MTN Lab - all in 26.5 - within a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Well I have a handful of days in the Quantum Asolo and still to this day I can't get the heel sorted out. First I was getting a bad blister on the heel spur so I put some padding in on the lateral side which fixed it, but now I've got issues on my medial side. Can't win. Not a fan of this heel pocket but hoping I can figure it out because the rest is pretty swell.
    Dawg, I tried to tell you that heel pocket is huge. Blisters are caused by movement, movement is made real easy with mucho space.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Got the Quantum Asolo from japanadadadada they’re gonna be good for me for longer days and moving efficiently. Thought I’d throw down some observations:

The 28.5 QA Factory fits the same as any other 27.5 boot including the Lupo 130c I got for my main resort/sidecountry boot. Here’s the two liners:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2092.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	184.0 KB 
ID:	389914

The QAF liners are the ones with the red stitching. Again, a full size larger. This seems like a big project management fail, but I’m glad I read this thread (and other internet sleuthing) and ordered up a size.

Heel hold sucks with these liners so I threw in my Atomic XTD130 liners and the boot transformed. Walks marginally worse (but still light years ahead of the XTD) and had great heel hold with maybe a little 5th met head coziness. I’ll withhold further judgement until I get on snow (hopefully next week). Boots are 1198g and 1194g with insoles and atomic liners.

Lupo liners are getting pulled in favor of a Powerwrap as well. I though Dalbello made pretty good liners in the past but maybe they are trending more towards the “weight” in the power-to-weight ratio for these touring liners.