Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Dalbello Quantum '20-'21

Thread for discussion/prognostication/review...

950g; hopefully at least a 110-120 flex? My personal hope is a sub-1kg boot that skis like a TLT 6 or 8.

Pretty sure with that bonded shell I'm going to wait at least a season. Shell sizing will be key as they probably don't take well to being punched/modded with said bonded shell, and the 99mm last won't make a lot of feet happy without sizing up.

https://www.dalbello.it/en/quantum/

Last edited by dub_xion; 01-28-2020 at 03:12 AM.

GregL, sounds like you've Benn skiing these. Willing to share some thoughts?

I was all super interested in these based on trade show intros and a few comments from Greg earlier. Thought they might finally be the boot to replace my well worn tlt5p. Unfortunately sounds like the heel/ankle area might be cavernous and loose. Will have to find and try on when they hit stores.

I like them.

I have about 8 days of "fitness skiing" - parking in a friend's driveway, walking stealthily over to the ski area and skinning quickly away - the past month or so. Very satisfied when paired with either of my two lighter setups (171 Zero G 95/Backland Tour, 164 Zero G 85/Backland Tour).

Uphill they are, as might be expected, exemplary. Downhill they are fine, but I wouldn't call the flex a 110 - more like a 95 to 100, or very similar to the Alien RS if you have tried that boot. They are, however, less fiddly than the Alien RS - once you get the cord adjustment dialed, all you need to do is open or close the walk mode lever, no looping/unlooping the cord over the two cuff hooks, no cord slippage.

I am in a 27.5 in the Quantum Asolo, mostly because it was the only boot on the west coast, but I think it's the right length. I can make a 26.5 Alien RS fit my foot and also take a 26.5 in the Backland Carbon and 2nd gen roomier TLT6 (black and orange), while I took a 27.5 in the TLT5 and green TLT6. None of these boots fit my wide foot out of the box, and I have punched for forefoot and midfoot width in the Alien RS and Quantum Asolo Factory even though both companies say in no uncertain terms not to. Someone who's skilled in working with thin touring boot shells should be fine if they are careful, but you will probably void the warranty if you torch the shell. I don't forsee any problem punching the two other non-carbon reinforced models. For reference, my longer foot measures 27.8 barefoot on the Brannock, and my forefoot is ~110mm wide including bunions. I normally wear a 26.5 alpine boot with about an 11-12mm shell fit.

As for ankle and heel fit, it isn't cavernous but it's definitely not snug (neither is the Alien RS). I think this goes hand-in-hand with this type of design, where there is a burly structural hinge at the midfoot - if they made it super snug and it didn't fit, there would be no recourse. Whether it's too loose for your foot I can't tell you, but I haven't had any blistering problems so far and they ski well in a centered stance. Any boot in the 1000 gram range uses a super thin liner to save weight, and this doesn't help the sensation of roominess; you could remedy this with a well-molded aftermarket liner with a bit of a weight penalty, though.

I hadn't looked at Greg's website for a while, He has good info on the Quantum and Rox R3 there!

And some Kidstoke!

Your grandson will probably be past this stage next year but holding the little ones up with a hula hoop is far easier than between the legs.

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    Your grandson will probably be past this stage next year but holding the little ones up with a hula hoop is far easier than between the legs.
    This week's project is moving to the pedal bike - he's got the strider dialed.

Looks like a good fit for my modded old liners.

Design goals:

Resistance free fore/aft rom in touring mode.

Seamless fit and even shin/lower leg fit tension in the 8 to 4 oclockish range of fit circumference in dh mode.

The shell mod I had in mind to fit with the new liner is pretty much what Dalbello did there...so, they did the work for me...further refinements I was thinkin about were custom moldability of the hard plastic 'front cuff' tongue itself to synergize with the molded foam of the innerboot tongue thingy.

Name:  P1130305.JPG
Views: 6827
Size:  51.1 KB

Name:  P1130306.JPG
Views: 6860
Size:  81.8 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

Dalbello Quantum '20-'21

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Looks like a good fit for my modded old liners....
    Is that your liner oven in the background there?

Sell the idea to Intuition and they’ll have the Pro Tour, Tour Wrap, and the Tour Clamshell!

Seriously though, I love seeing boot mods and admire the commitment to cut and grind when there might be no going back - I haven’t been able to commit to even swapping out a buckle or a cuff pivot or anything other than simple repairs and patches. Nice work with the creativity and going for making the vision a reality.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I like them.
    GregL any thoughts/concerns/experiences on the design and position of the Boa-like forefoot tightening system? Any chance of getting caught on rocks with it off-center like that while crossing scree/talus slopes or getting through general schwackage? Better/worse design than the Boa? I've always had reservations about issues in the field with the Boas vs good ol' buckles.

Quote Originally Posted by dub_xion View Post
    GregL any thoughts/concerns/experiences on the design and position of the Boa-like forefoot tightening system? Any chance of getting caught on rocks with it off-center like that while crossing scree/talus slopes or getting through general schwackage? Better/worse design than the Boa? I've always had reservations about issues in the field with the Boas vs good ol' buckles.
    The QLS (Quick Lacing System) seems to be fine after ~22 days in the field - it slips and loosens slowly after tightening, but not enough to bother me while skiing a couple thousand vertical feet. The side mount position doesn't seem to endanger the knob, but I've only booted around on rock a few times. Personally I haven't had issues with Boa either, but we certainly repair a lot of them (not on AT boots, usually snowboard boots). One replacement this year on a Scarpa F1, much easier than a snowboard boot.

anyone got an update o these?
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Dalbello Quantum '20-'21

They’re expanding the Quantum line to include a “130” flex option that ditches the boa and lace systems for ladder buckles. Next to no chance it’s actually a 130 flex boot, but I’m intrigued by a slightly burlier 1000ish gram boot in this family.

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    They’re expanding the Quantum line to include a “130” flex option that ditches the boa and lace systems for ladder buckles. Next to no chance it’s actually a 130 flex boot, but I’m intrigued by a slightly burlier 1000ish gram boot in this family.
    Anything up online about this that we can geek out on?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yes, definitely interested in those. Vulcans are still working but lighter and no removeable tongues would be nice for next year. Lupos fit my foot well if these quantum 130's are atleast similar in the cuff, heel, instep and length

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by dub_xion View Post
    Anything up online about this that we can geek out on?
    Posted in the 2122 Gear Rumors thread (pages 7 & 8):
    1319g size 27.5 / 1188g size 25.5
    "Straight up resistance in the first 10-15 degrees seems in line with some of the softer "130" flex boots I've seen, how predictably the resistance will ramp up and what the "stop" at the limit will be like remains to be seen."

Can anyone compare the fit and performance of the Alien RS to the Quantum Asolo Factory? With the Alien RS getting discontinued and replaced by the clunkier and higher-volume F1 LT, the Quantum Asolo Factory seems like the spiritual successor to the Alien RS with its cord-lock cuff, low-volume(ish) fit and sub 1kg weight. Can anybody who has spent time in both weigh in, especially on the fit differences?

Many thanks to GregL for publishing a comparison on your site last year, have you spent much more time in the boots since then?

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Can anyone compare the fit and performance of the Alien RS to the Quantum Asolo Factory? With the Alien RS getting discontinued and replaced by the clunkier and higher-volume F1 LT, the Quantum Asolo Factory seems like the spiritual successor to the Alien RS with its cord-lock cuff, low-volume(ish) fit and sub 1kg weight. Can anybody who has spent time in both weigh in, especially on the fit differences?

Many thanks to GregL for publishing a comparison on your site last year, have you spent much more time in the boots since then?
    Bump. Also looking for an Alien RS/F1 LT/QAF comparison.

. . . have you spent much more time in the boots since then?
    Sorry, missed this. I haven't actually been using them much this winter, touring mostly in Zero G Tour Pros and just riding lifts because, well, plenty of pow at the ski areas around here. Hard to compare fit to the Alien RS because I was able to get in a 26.5 in them and went with 27.5 with the QAF, mostly due to not enough string length on the boa thingy - I can barely get in the larger shell. I have had the Quantum Free Factory 130 on and the stated 100mm last is quite a bit roomier (27.5); have yet to ski it.

I have had the Quantum Free Factory 130 on and the stated 100mm last is quite a bit roomier (27.5); have yet to ski it.
    fucking christ.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    fucking christ.
    I mean roomier than the 99mm last in the lighter boots; everyone's 100mm last is pretty roomy these days.

I mean roomier than the 99mm last in the lighter boots; everyone's 100mm last is pretty roomy these days.
    yup yup, is indeed the truth. Sad trombone for us low vol guys
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Hard to compare fit to the Alien RS because I was able to get in a 26.5 in them and went with 27.5 with the QAF, mostly due to not enough string length on the boa thingy - I can barely get in the larger shell.
    Are you saying that the QAF is narrower/lower volume in equivalent size to the RS? Can you compare the heel hold, cuff, and length between the two boots?

I ask because I have a long and low vol foot, currently making due with the RS but would prefer lower volume. Its a shame that no other boot in this class combines a snug cuff for skinny calves and a low volume/long fit in the foot.

I bought the Roxa RX Tour that we discussed in another thread but it didn't add quite enough length to be comfortable on the super long days, otherwise it comes pretty close.

Are you saying that the QAF is narrower/lower volume in equivalent size to the RS? Can you compare the heel hold, cuff, and length between the two boots?
    No, I think the opposite is true but I can't make a direct comparison as the Alien RS I had was 26.5. Neither has great heel hold IMO and the cuff diameter is larger in the Quantum Asolo Factory.

Hello everyone! I bought the Dalbello Quantum Free 130 some days ago and wrote a text with my first impressions yesterday. I hope, it'll appear soon (a message told me that my posting will be checked before being published). Is it always like this: Short posting are published at once, long postings are checked before? (Sorry for this stupid question, I'm new in this forum.)