Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Really?

So the fry cook at your local McDonald's is more valuable than the guy who works his ass off and becomes one of the best at what he does? Athletes very well may be overpaid, but there's no denying that many of them have worked harder and achieved far more than the average schmuck.

While that doesn't necessarily mean their lives are worth more, it definitely means that their societal importance is greater. If they die, the ripple effect of their death travels far, far further than the fry cook. Even putting aside the "fans," when a famous athlete dies, huge numbers of people are affected - sports personalities are a big business. By pretty much any metric, the athlete is more important to society.
    No, the self employed dad or mom who spends their life making it work for their family. Not some kids first job at a fast food joint...

Once you murder, kidnap or rape, your legacy will be forever tarnished

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    No one is overpaid. The market pays what it pays. Actually, you could argue that NBA super duper stars like Kobe are actually underpaid due to the salary cap.

Kobe was a piece of shit but also, I think, a really good father and had a lot of other great qualities as well. People are complex and can be both of these things. My friend has been the director / producer of the NBA 2K video game for the past 10-15 years and spent a decent amount of time with him, along with guys like LeBron and other top players. The Colorado thing always lingered in the back of his mind but says all of his interactions with Kobe were great and he genuinely liked and admired him as a human being. It's confusing for sure.
    Nicely done. Without commenting on Kobe it’s worth noting that In the age of internet activism and purity tests we demand that people are 100% good 100% of the time and agree with you 100% of the time or they fail that test; and by pointing out that failure, we are pure and good.

People are complex.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    No, the self employed dad or mom who spends their life making it work for their family. Not some kids first job at a fast food joint...

Once you murder, kidnap or rape, your legacy will be forever tarnished
    The self employed mom or dad who manages their family is not individually more important to society than the individual who works hard and becomes the best at what they do.

This isn't about Kobe specifically. Maybe his misdeeds cancelled out his societal contributions. That's not for me to say.

But you said:
    Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    The average person who has to grind out a life is more valuable to society than overpaid athletes
    Which is kind of a ridiculous statement. The humdrum of society isn't particularly important in any kind of broader context. When they die in an accident, very few people take notice. There's a reason for that.

The money an average middle class family makes goes more to help the middle class than any celebrity or athlete's money will. People with a lot of money support higher end shops and not middle america. My point stands, an average joe american is as or more important than any celebrity or athlete...all lives are equal, just because someone can play a sport doesn't make their life any more valuable, period. Especially if you're a rapist

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Nicely done. Without commenting on Kobe it’s worth noting that In the age of internet activism and purity tests we demand that people are 100% good 100% of the time and agree with you 100% of the time or they fail that test; and by pointing out that failure, we are pure and good.

People are complex.
    There's some truth to this. But there are certain things you can do - like rape, or murder - that, as far as I'm concerned, disqualify you from being a "good person." You can try to make up for it afterwards, but when you die, you don't get to be honored as a "good person." You forfeited that right when you chose to rape someone.

And without getting into details, I know some of the folks involved in the rape allegations, and strongly believe that they were real and that Kobe basically got off without a conviction because he's very rich and powerful and was able to leverage that into a favorable outcome for himself. As is the case with most rich and powerful men that are accused of rape (which may be starting to change now, hopefully).
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    There's some truth to this. But there are certain things you can do - like rape, or murder - that, as far as I'm concerned, disqualify you from being a "good person." You can try to make up for it afterwards, but when you die, you don't get to be honored as a "good person." You forfeited that right when you chose to rape someone.

And without getting into details, I know some of the folks involved in the rape allegations, and strongly believe that they were real and that Kobe basically got off without a conviction because he's very rich and powerful and was able to leverage that into a favorable outcome for himself. As is the case with most rich and powerful men that are accused of rape (which may be starting to change now, hopefully).
    No doubt.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

People are complex.
    People are complex and this is a complex subject.

This is perhaps the best piece I have read on the subject: https://www.thelily.com/the-stories-...t-kobe-bryant/

The fact that he geeked out on meeting Allison Janney makes me like him just a little bit, which is a complex thing for me to do given what I know.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    No one is overpaid. The market pays what it pays. Actually, you could argue that NBA super duper stars like Kobe are actually underpaid due to the salary cap.

Kobe was a piece of shit but also, I think, a really good father and had a lot of other great qualities as well. People are complex and can be both of these things. My friend has been the director / producer of the NBA 2K video game for the past 10-15 years and spent a decent amount of time with him, along with guys like LeBron and other top players. The Colorado thing always lingered in the back of his mind but says all of his interactions with Kobe were great and he genuinely liked and admired him as a human being. It's confusing for sure.
    Bill Clinton could and probably still can charm any room he walks into.

Based on what I've read here, we can expect a big mourning for Bill Cosby when he kicks the bucket.
    Can't wait to revisit some of these points of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post

Look at Weinstein rolling out of court yesterday, "lawyers killed it!"
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime