Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Messed Up Mount & Binding Questions

Looking for some help with what to do with my binding and ski predicament. Any opinions, especially professional ones, appreciated. Thanks for any help! I'll post pictures below as soon as I can.

I just sprang for a new set of 2020 Blizzard Cochises and the shop messed up mounting them. They used a heel screw in one place for the toe piece, which pushed into the base and created a bump. The tech said he took it out and put in the correct toe screw, but there is still a noticeable bump in the base, and presumably space between the bottom of the correct toe screw and the rest of the hole that was drilled too far. The shop said they will replace the skis. The bindings are used Attack 16s, and the metal AFD plate popped loose so it was reglued and clipped back on. Shop said they tested fine and should be solid.

I doubt I'll notice the bump in the base, especially after a grind, but will always worry about the toe piece being on there solid. Realistically I know it's unlikely to come off but any thoughts on longevity? I know unscrewing and then rescrewing into wood won't be quite as strong, even with glue. And if it does blow out I'll be completely SOL with maybe a broken leg - don't want to deal with that again. Will the reglued AFD plate be an issue at all as long as it stays on? If it falls off somehow can I get a replacement? Never dealt with this issue so looking for advice/reassurance they'll be solid.

Also, I noticed the Jester Pros on my Black Crows have quite a bit of toe slop when looking at the AFD height yesterday, but have never had any issues with them so I'm not inclined to mess with them. Is there a way to adjust the AFD on these that I overlooked? Would it help? Would adjusting forward pressure help? Is the slop in any way due to my worn down boots, or simply binding wear? Boots were okayed by a shop recently but are definitely worn down quite a bit.

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by NessThinMint; 02-09-2020 at 08:52 PM.

Jesus that's a lot of words.

Have shop replace the skis. Period. Find a different shop to mount the new skis, they're out of chances. Or mount your own fucking skis.
    Move forward.

#1: Won't make any difference. If it was my ski, and I'm fucking picky, it would whack it a couple times with a hammer and give it 2 passes on the stone, then never think about it.

#2: It will work fine as long as it stays on.

TLDR the rest of your questions.

Thanks for the quick replies. Been thinking way too much about it so I made way too long of an initial post - just cut it down. Will be looking into learning to mount my own skis down the road but don't have money tools or space at this point. Far less concerned with the base bump than the bad hole (extra space and mostly having unscrewed then rescrewed into the same hole).

Thoughts on Jester Pro toe slop on my Black Crows?

Pictures:
    Blizzard Base Bump:
    Attachment 312460

Reglued Attack 16 AFD Plate:
    Attachment 312461

Jester Pro AFD heights & Forward Pressure:
    Attachment 312462
    Attachment 312463

Attachment 312464
    Attachment 312465
    Last edited by NessThinMint; 01-26-2020 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    #1: Won't make any difference. If it was my ski, and I'm fucking picky, it would whack it a couple times with a hammer and give it 2 passes on the stone, then never think about it..
    +1

How much u asking for the Cochises?

#1: Won't make any difference. If it was my ski, and I'm fucking picky, it would whack it a couple times with a hammer ----------------------- then never think about it.
    X2, only I'd skip the grind. In fact, I just did this with a pair of junior skis and an adult binding screw I didn't grind down far enough. Removed the screw, ground it shorter, and glued it back in. Didn't even hammer, and the bump is already 95% gone.

Any space below the screw is absolutely meaningless, there aren't any threads there so there's zero effect on retention in the ski. Any gap is probably filled with glue now anyway. Kinda pointless for the shop to replace the ski, but paranoia is real and you gotta keep your customers happy.

^^^This...that’s why u you should sell to me for really cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    +1
    +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

What greg said.

No issue with the blizzards, the shop should still offer to replace the skis. If I were you, I’d be a bro and just ask them for a high end tune on the skis instead . Either now, or down the road.

No chance that shop's working on any of my gear again.

Quote Originally Posted by NessThinMint View Post
    Why? No shop, or tech is perfect. This shit happens. They owned up to their mistake.

That's the spirit, mount your own fucking skis. That way, when you dimple the base you'll have no one to blame but yourself and do just as we suggest.

That's the spirit, mount your own fucking skis. That way, when you dimple the base you'll have no one to blame but yourself and do just as we suggest.
    I would like to learn to mount my own fucking skis someday but don't know how at this point, so for the time being I leave it to the professionals. If it's so easy to mount skis then why can't a professional ski tech at a shop mount skis correctly? I'm not in the wrong here, they botched a normal mount on new skis. I'm just asking for opinions on how much the bad mount will impact the performance and durability of my skis.

You seriously asking why I don't trust them with my gear anymore? The first time I had them do anything they screwed it up. Doesn't speak very well to their expertise. Would you go back to an auto shop that screwed up your new car just because the guy was nice? I am very appreciative that they were honest about what happened and that they're making it right but now if they screw up again with my gear there's little chance they're honest with me about it.
    Last edited by NessThinMint; 01-26-2020 at 08:44 PM.

Every single shop has dimpled a base or misdrilled a ski. Generally several a year. The shop employees work long days, it’s late in the retail season, occasional mistakes happen. We are all human. The bad shops cover it up so some chump (you) doesn’t notice and thinks everything is peachy. The good ones own up to it. They are replacing your skis. You got unlucky. The shop likely mounted a few hundred pairs of skis without issue right before yours.

If my mechanic messed up my car, told me about it, and bought me a new car they would have me as a customer for life.

Shit happens, only delusional fuckmuppets think otherwise.

Go find a shop who will cover it up next time.

Quick, you better check your other mounts for...topsheet volcanoes around the screw holes and an air gap under the bindings!

Demand new skis and bindings now.

. . . so for the time being I leave it to the professionals.
    Why do you assume shop "B" will be any better? Or the guy who mounted your skis isn't working at shop "B" next year?

Messed Up Mount & Binding Questions

I'm assuming the professionals are better than my untrained ass. The guy who mounted them owns the shop. Are those real things? Maybe volcanoes are causing the slop in my Jester toe pieces? Or earthquakes? Sorry but I just can't see the logic in returning to a shop that screwed up a routine service.
    Last edited by NessThinMint; 01-27-2020 at 08:31 AM.

I used to work as a ski tech, and have made that same mistake before, and I like to think I’m pretty knowledgeable and methodical. It’s a super easy mistake to make, especially when handed used bindings with loose screws. It happens.

And don’t worry about the current mount, you’ll never rip it out. Ever.

Again, be glad they didn’t just hammer it out and grind the ski flat. That’s honestly what most shops would do.

Thanks for the non snarky input. As previously stated, I am very appreciative they were honest about it and told them so. Also just very bummed it was with the first pair of new skis I've bought in years.

Side note...anybody interested in brand new 185 2020 Blizzard Cochises that had a messed up first mount?
    Wait, they're not giving you a new pair AND letting you keep the first pair, are they? If they replace the first pair with a new pair, they own the first pair, 100%. To walk away with two pair of skis in this situation would be no different than shoplifting or stealing a pair off someone's porch.

No it was an afterthought I shouldn't have included, just took that out. The shop hasn't replaced them and I'm not selling them anywhere. Going to discuss with the shop next steps.
    Last edited by NessThinMint; 01-26-2020 at 09:45 PM.

#1: Won't make any difference. If it was my ski, and I'm fucking picky, it would whack it a couple times with a hammer and give it 2 passes on the stone, then never think about it.

#2: It will work fine as long as it stays on.

TLDR the rest of your questions.
    This answer is gold.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I’m a picky fuck. I’d take the new skis.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    you lost me at black crowes and markers
    but im like 98% sure your not going to die from the mistake
    nor tgr snarks
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno