Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Kobe Bryant

Kobe and his daughter Gianna both died in the crash, in addition to 7 others.

A horrific way to die regardless of how much money you have or how famous you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

RIP Kobe Bryant

Grief isn’t for the dead, it’s for the living. Kobe left behind kids and a wife and a massive fan base that you and I can’t really comprehend. They weep for the sudden hole in their lives, and we weep for them.

The rapist comments are as ignorant as they are unhelpful and inappropriate. It’s not about Kobe. Kobe is dead, you dumb fucks.

I never liked him as a b-ball player, but I appreciated the way he moved as “Jordan lite.” He’s always been a part of my “pop culture” growing up, and now he’s gone. His death has made me introspective and there’s definitely a feeling of loss there.
    focus.

Also.... we had a similar thing happen locally where a community figure died young unexpectedly. There was an outpouring from the community. It was very touching..... but I can’t help but think about all the people who die who weren’t well known in the community who left the same hole in their loved ones’ lives. Why is one any more deserving of collection funds and events and etc than the other?
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Also.... we had a similar thing happen locally where a community figure died young unexpectedly. There was an outpouring from the community. It was very touching..... but I can’t help but think about all the people who die who weren’t well known in the community who left the same hole in their loved ones’ lives. Why is one any more deserving of collection funds and events and etc than the other?
    Same reason people wear jerseys and such with somebody's name and number on them--people don't just admire their heroes, they identify with them.. Might be Kobe, might be Gandhi, When we admire someone we think we see in ourselves some of the attributes we see in them, even though it's an illusion, so when they die that part of them that we think is in us dies. When our favorite team loses, we feel like we lost. Thing is, we'll feel better in a day or two. The families won't.

Very tragic for all involved. Kobe was just here in our local community with his daughter fulfilling his promise to a high school basketball star that had trained with him and his daughter over the summer.

It sounds like he had used helicopters for transportation regularly for quite a few years. Statistically that has to catch up to you after a while...
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    FIFY

Doesn't mean he deserved to die, I extend my condolences to his family, but the guy wasn't a fucking role model either.

He's borderline for deserving a fuckeulogy, so let's not deify him postmortem.
    IMO, he lost all credibility by butt raping the hotel's help. 6(+?) Million is one expense load

Their names haven’t been released yet, but a girl I went to HS with and her daughter were also on the helicopter and lost their lives. My younger sister played soccer with her and the news rocked her world. They still all live down in OC in SoCal and the daughters all played soccer with Kobe’s daughter. Sad stuff.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Not a pilot, but have flown in helicopters a lot. The old joke everyone used to say is that there are 2 types of helicopters, those that have crashed, and those that are going to. This article suggests Kobe's final flight took place on one of the safest models out there., the Sikorsky S-76.

https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-...n-helicopters/

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    In the last minute the chopper lost 1000 ft.

Looks like a charter aircraft.
    Not a helicopter pilot, but I work aviation in the LA area. I was off today so I'm not involved with this.

We get coastal fog/marine layer here on certain days, and the onshore wind will blow it inland pretty far. In this case, well into the San Fernando Valley area. It's less fog inland and more low clouds, what is called a ceiling, and to fly within Visual Flight Rules you have to remain below/clear of the clouds, you cannot go in them as you can't see if they're hiding terrain or power lines/antennas or even other aircraft. Anyway as they got further west in The Valley, near Calabasas the terrain starts to get hilly, cups the clouds in a bit more plus it's closer to the shore, so ceilings were lower.

Without getting too far into it, there are two basic means/levels of flight, Visual and Instruments. Visual allows you to go wherever you need, you're not tied to a certain route, you're responsible for your own separation from other aircraft, and you can land anywhere, you just have to stay clear of clouds like I said earlier and there are other weather restrictions and criteria at play. Instruments, you have to follow a set route, ATC steers you along the way, you can go through weather and clouds and they provide separation and spacing from other aircraft. Since there's spacing, there's delays to keep everybody 3 miles apart from each other or more.

When visibility goes below 3 miles or ceilings are below 1000', airports will shut down for Visual guys and will only be available for aircraft on Instruments. However, for those pilots who have an Instrument training and rating, and their aircraft/helo have the necessary equipment for Instrument flight, there's a provision that allows them to fly on a hybrid of those rules. Helicopters have even different visibility critera than that to allow them to operate in even lower weather criteria, since they can slow down to a crawl, stop or land anywhere if they have to - they can get low enough to see the ground and crawl along if need be.

Anyway, that last part is what the helo in question was doing, skirting through Burbank and Van Nuys airport's airspace on their way to his residence. As someone else mentioned, he'd been commuting by helicopter now for a long time, if you've got the means it's the ultimate LA traffic beater. Also, not a charter aircraft, it was his personal bird with his Mamba logo and the Nike Swoosh on it.

Guessing what happened, and this is just a guess, they didn't slow down sufficiently for the deteriorating visibility until it was too late and hit something, either the ground itself or a tree or power line or whatever, that then threw the aircraft into the ground. A mechanical failure is always possible, but that's my immediate kneejerk guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones View Post
    Not a helicopter pilot, but I work aviation in the LA area. I was off today so I'm not involved with this.

We get coastal fog/marine layer here on certain days, and the onshore wind will blow it inland pretty far. In this case, well into the San Fernando Valley area. It's less fog inland and more low clouds, what is called a ceiling, and to fly within Visual Flight Rules you have to remain below/clear of the clouds, you cannot go in them as you can't see if they're hiding terrain or power lines/antennas or even other aircraft. Anyway as they got further west in The Valley, near Calabasas the terrain starts to get hilly, cups the clouds in a bit more plus it's closer to the shore, so ceilings were lower.

Without getting too far into it, there are two basic means/levels of flight, Visual and Instruments. Visual allows you to go wherever you need, you're not tied to a certain route, you're responsible for your own separation from other aircraft, and you can land anywhere, you just have to stay clear of clouds like I said earlier and there are other weather restrictions and criteria at play. Instruments, you have to follow a set route, ATC steers you along the way, you can go through weather and clouds and they provide separation and spacing from other aircraft. Since there's spacing, there's delays to keep everybody 3 miles apart from each other or more.

When visibility goes below 3 miles or ceilings are below 1000', airports will shut down for Visual guys and will only be available for aircraft on Instruments. However, for those pilots who have an Instrument training and rating, and their aircraft/helo have the necessary equipment for Instrument flight, there's a provision that allows them to fly on a hybrid of those rules. Helicopters have even different visibility critera than that to allow them to operate in even lower weather criteria, since they can slow down to a crawl, stop or land anywhere if they have to - they can get low enough to see the ground and crawl along if need be.

Anyway, that last part is what the helo in question was doing, skirting through Burbank and Van Nuys airport's airspace on their way to his residence. As someone else mentioned, he'd been commuting by helicopter now for a long time, if you've got the means it's the ultimate LA traffic beater. Also, not a charter aircraft, it was his personal bird with his Mamba logo and the Nike Swoosh on it.

Guessing what happened, and this is just a guess, they didn't slow down sufficiently for the deteriorating visibility until it was too late and hit something, either the ground itself or a tree or power line or whatever, that then threw the aircraft into the ground. A mechanical failure is always possible, but that's my immediate kneejerk guess.
    My friend is an avid and experienced chopper and small plane pilot and said the exact same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post
    Take your piece of shit post down. Whatever your feelings are about the man now is not the time to air them and nobody gives a fuck about them anyway. Have some respect for the fact that two teenage girls tragically perished today.
    Is the thread devoted to those other people that died? Or to a rapist? If the woman he raped was in your family, how would this thread play to you? It's tragic that those people lost their lives, especially the children. But this thread isn't for them, so I don't see why it's a shit post to point out you're all expressing sadness for a rapist.

I await the sad comments about Harvey Weinstein when he passes. And sorry if this post upsets, but it's pretty upsetting to me to see an outpouring of love and admiration for a man who raped a young girl.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Is the thread devoted to those other people that died? Or to a rapist? If the woman he raped was in your family, how would this thread play to you? It's tragic that those people lost their lives, especially the children. But this thread isn't for them, so I don't see why it's a shit post to point out you're all expressing sadness for a rapist.

I await the sad comments about Harvey Weinstein when he passes. And sorry if this post upsets, but it's pretty upsetting to me to see an outpouring of love and admiration for a man who raped a young girl.
    Clearly you have a differing opinion on the post so agree to disagree but I didn't state any love or admiration for Kobe in my post, having either for someone requires a personal relationship imo. I was offering my thoughts on a tragedy that cost 9 people their lives, especially the kids, and as I (and others apparantly) read it the post showed a lack of respect for them and their families. I don't claim to know all the details about the alleged rape other than I know he was never formally charged but paid some amount in a subsequent civil suit. Does that mean he didn't do it, of course not but to accuse him of being a rapist is nothing but speculation also.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    a good social justice media warrior
    doesnt let facts or or a lack of conviction
    mess with their smjw mission
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    a good social justice media warrior
    doesnt let facts or or a lack of conviction
    mess with their smjw mission
    Do you have a friend who worked on the prosecution team? How many facts of the case do you know? Did you read any of the court filings? Didn't think so. The dude admitted that she didn't think the encounter was consensual (look at his own admissions, an innocent person with the money to fight wouldn't admit those things). But a good social justice media warrior doesnt let facts or or a lack of conviction mess with their smjw mission.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

It is, however, wonderful to see that his efforts to rehab his image over the years were successful. If Harvey can hold out, there's hope for him yet.

It's not really that he was a rapist, although that is quickly forgotten. It's America getting all upset about the death of an incredibly rich celebrity whose claim to fame and only real contribution, if you call it that, was playing basketball really well. So rich, in fact, that he owned a helicopter to fly above the L.A. traffic. Until it didn't.
    Meanwhile, most Americans couldn't find Ukraine on a map.

Yesterday my kid tried to tell me that Kobe's death was a bigger deal than Lennon's.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Dannodicksoutforharambre
    I don't do law or politics
    They lack the purity of pow skiing and flyflinging
    And the peeps ain't my type
    Did he get the same rape conviction as the huxtible Jello puddings pops guy?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

First hand report. No drama just facts. Rip Kobe and all aboard.

https://youtu.be/28QYy8lrww8

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones View Post

Thanks for that. I would think once you get used to that type of travel, need to be somewhere, and the pilot works for you, bad decisions can be made.

I looked up the tail number and saw it was registered to an “island xcccx llx” and was flying everyday between Catalina and Malibu. But perhaps it is his and he charters it out. Or he flies a lot.

In Chile a lot of rich folks chopper between ski chalet, beach house etc. I can’t think of a cooler luxury.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I dont know. Kobe doesn't think it's so cool right now.

The best thing about TGR is that we can have these conversations. The rest of "social media" wouldn't let you dare question the sanctity of celebrity.
    TGR gut check, whether you like it or not. Now everyone go eat a bag of dicks and move along.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Yesterday my kid tried to tell me that Kobe's death was a bigger deal than Lennon's.
    Imagine......

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I can't comment on the bigger deal part, but I think a celebrity crashing out of the sky tends to be more dramatic.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

It's a sad say when anybody dies, but I am much sadder about the deaths of several children then I am about an uber rich athlete. Unfortunately we tend to make gods out of good athletes and pay them way too much money. Yeah, he was a great basketball player, but at the end of the day what has that given us? Lennon left a legacy of incredible music and questioned social norms that will benefit us for years to come.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot