Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: RIP Kobe Bryant

I read a book called Chickenhawk, true story written by a guy who flew Huey's Vietnam, eventualy did the whole ptsd/failure to reintegrate/ turn to drug smuggling thing, so they would bet the fastmover pilots a beer they couldn't hover a Huey on the first try and none of the jet jockeyies ever did
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

‘Get-home-itis’ is a thing in aviation, and has been killing pilots and passengers for decades. You have to recognize when to say no. I this case, it’s slowing the helicopter the fuck down, going to a crawl like I said, and maybe landing safely somewhere you can see (like a park or a golf course) and Kobe just calling for an Uber XL to complete the trip while the pilot waits for the clouds to burn off.

Ironically, the automobile segment of what I described above is statistically far more dangerous than much of anything aviation offers.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I read a book called Chickenhawk, true story written by a guy who flew Huey's Vietnam, eventualy did the whole ptsd/failure to reintegrate/ turn to drug smuggling thing, so they would bet the fastmover pilots a beer they couldn't hover a Huey on the first try and none of the jet jockeyies ever did
    Great book. Read it when I was 13. Mason was his name.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Also interestingly to me, (it appears) Kobe’s professional pilot failed him. I work in amateur bullshit all day every day and frequently wish I could swap my pilots out for more professionals, but this is a reminder that they’re not immune to mistakes either.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I knew a guy who was an absolute ace pilot...
    Since you mentioned this. My cousin was a F4 recon pilot with the USAF and had his wings clipped for pulling a stunt over Korea in the mid 80's. As punishment he got reassigned to a heli unit in Minot ND. After he got out of the AF he said he'd never fly in a helicopter again. His main complaint was they didn't have ejector seats.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    For people under 50, he’s probably correct.
    I wasn't alive for Lennon passing.

But for my generation, Kobe was larger than life. He showed an entire generation that hard work and believing in yourself could make your dreams come true. Saying he was just a basketball player is like saying Lennon was just a singer.

The mamba mentality was life changing for a lot of people.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Sounds like pilot error. it was readable in my news feed so maybe you can search it.

The Last Flight of Kobe Bryant’s Life - The Wall Street Journal
    https://apple.news/AeH_L1C5YRnK20nlNOTq6oA

The Russians have a heli with ejector seats, the Kamov-50. That's the only one I believe. Charges blow the blades off, then the canopy, then boost the seat out. In that order, hopefully.

If Kobe wasn't in that helicopter, we wouldn't have heard about the crash...

thats ^^ a single seat attack chopper
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The Russians have a heli with ejector seats, the Kamov-50. That's the only one I believe. Charges blow the blades off, then the canopy, then boost the seat out. In that order, hopefully.

Learned about something cool today. It looks like they drag the seat out with a rocket attached to the seat by cables

So...rapey scale:
    Trump>Tyson>Rapelesburger>Kobe>Clinton?
    Add in any celebrities or change the order as you wish.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Charges on the blades? Russian!

No thanks. I’d rather take my chances.

The US experimented with helo ejectors and had a similar setup.

Two seater attack birds.
    watch out for snakes

RIP Kobe Bryant

Pilot didn’t file proper flight plan so he couldn’t go instrument to follow tower instructions?

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    So...rapey scale:
    Trump>Tyson>Rapelesburger>Kobe>Clinton?
    Add in any celebrities or change the order as you wish.
    Maybe we need an Ogden scale. Rate everyone in Cosby units?

Wllt=GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Pilot didn’t file proper flight plan so he couldn’t go instrument to follow tower instructions?
    He was SVFR, helicopters file it when operating in less than VFR conditions. He was transitioning between various controlled and uncontrolled airspaces, in shitty visibility, and he was below radar. Helicopters operate on a little different set of rules and filing a flight plan isn't always necessary or needed.

Flying in LA is no joke. I did an IFR check ride in a helicopter in LA actually. It was tough but I passed somehow by the skin of my teeth. Also used to ferry helicopters out of Torrance and was always happy to get out of there.

Honestly, I'm guessing it was CFIT or loss of situational awareness in IMC or IIMC and pilot error, and I hate to say that. The S-76 is a pretty well regarded helicopter as far as safety.

And RIP to all the people on board, super sad. Kobe was an amazing athlete and sorry to see him go, and I'm sure most of the others on that flight were above average folks as well.
    Last edited by Name Redacted; 01-27-2020 at 10:45 PM.

More than 1 million signatures to change the NBA logo from Jerry West to Kobe:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51275170
    https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/k...0k-signatures/

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    He was SVFR, helicopters file it when operating in less than VFR conditions. He was transitioning between various controlled and uncontrolled airspaces, in shitty visibility, and he was below radar. Helicopters operate on a little different set of rules and filing a flight plan isn't always necessary or needed.

Flying in LA is no joke. I did an IFR check ride in a helicopter in LA actually. It was tough but I passed somehow by the skin of my teeth. Also used to ferry helicopters out of Torrance and was always happy to get out of there.

Honestly, I'm guessing it was CFIT or loss of situational awareness in IMC or IIMC and pilot error, and I hate to say that. The S-76 is a pretty well regarded helicopter as far as safety.

And RIP to all the people on board, super sad. Kobe was an amazing athlete and sorry to see him go, and I'm sure most of the others on that flight were above average folks as well.
    I realize flying over water with a single engine or chopper is not preferred, but Why not skip flying through the city and hills and just straight shot it across the water? Seems you could avoid ifr and all that commercial traffic?

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    I realize flying over water with a single engine or chopper is not preferred, but Why not skip flying through the city and hills and just straight shot it across the water? Seems you could avoid ifr and all that commercial traffic?
    Who knows? It is some of the most congested airspace in the world. Fog was a factor in the crash from what I heard so I'm guessing that fog was over the water as it tends to be. Maybe they went through the hills to avoid the fog but that plan didn't work. Sounds like the pilot knew wtf he was doing but anyone can have a bad day.

Take a look at these charts and tell me where you'd fly and avoid traffic: https://skyvector.com/?ll=34.1887984...chart=24&zoom=
    https://skyvector.com/?ll=34.1887984...chart=24&zoom=

^^Wait till flying cars become a thing. That airspace is gonna look like Hunter Mtn on President's Day weekend.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Oar just leave early?
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    ^^Wait till flying cars become a thing. That airspace is gonna look like Hunter Mtn on President's Day weekend.
    Full of starter jackets?
    I still call it The Jake.

And the S76 is a twin.