Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    It might not be your style but you should call K2 and continue to bitch and ask for someone higher up the chain until they fix this. If you create enough of a problem for them they’ll fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    It might not be your style but you should call K2 and continue to bitch and ask for someone higher up the chain until they fix this. If you create enough of a problem for them they’ll fix it.
    This is my most recent thought. Sort of my plan tomorrow is to call K2, fill them in on who they brick and mortar retailer is, how they sell K2s product, and how they handle business with warranty claims.

I also want to ask K2 if I get the skis repaired, if they will still warranty them over the summer. I’m hoping they will note the damage was done before the repair and not void the warranty due to epoxy and screws I’ll have to put into the ski to get them back together.

Just for a matter of saying it again, the Mindbender 116C is an awesome ski. I had them (pair 2) out today and they do everything I ask. The ski doesn’t suck, the construction might have a few questions, but the ski is awesome. I put Kingpins on the second pair and love the 116c, Kingpin, Lange XT Free combo. It’s like all 3 were built to go together.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Those bases only have 5 days on them??....looks like you've been skiing on pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by Steezix View Post
    Those bases only have 5 days on them??....looks like you've been skiing on pavement.
    No pavement, but getting back inbounds involved a bit of bushwhacking. Still shouldn’t of killed the skis.

I can dig through my ski spread sheet and get the exact dates, bindings, boots/liners, where, and who I skied with if you don’t believe me. Cool thing about keeping records is when you get called out for shit, like saying you skied them for 5 days, you can back that up.

Depends where and how you ski.
    K2 needs to stand by their products and replace them. Better yet, tell their retailers to help with that, because the retailers should be. If said retailer wasn't supposed to ship to the USA, that's not on the end user.
    OP, how did you pay for them? Some credit card companies will make up or make the company handle the warranty. Don't think PayPal does this, but it might if it's a certain amount of time between purchase and failure.

Otherwise, take note kids: cross border sales with Chinese manufactured products can get complicated.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Shop review: Urban Alpine Ski Shop FAIL

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Jackson

We dont have a K2 dealer in town
    This blows my mind. There are really no K2 dealers in Jackson ?? If there is any town in North America that a ski company should have a retail presence, Jackson is ground zero.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    it was retail....fuck you K2 and fuck this urban place and Drew.
    Yup.

I do not understand how K2 cannot be purchased by a Canadian (CDN shipping address) from a US online retailer but vice versa is ok. Salomon too. And many other brands. Yet the MSRPs are identical in figure but the exchange makes buying them out of Canada a no brainer. I am assuming they shipped to your US address?

I'm amazed by this only because I've warrantied skis in the past (never K2) and the warranty experience has been about a painless as possible. So much so that just those experiences alone make me think very highly of Liberty and Blizzard.

And you were not too quick with the neg feedback. In my opinion dealing up your issue should have been a priority. Thanks for posting and ensuring I never set foot in UA.

I’m so sorry they didn’t give you a rim job and a prostate massage

Jackson

We dont have a K2 dealer in town

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    This blows my mind. There are really no K2 dealers in Jackson ?? If there is any town in North America that a ski company should have a retail presence, Jackson is ground zero.

Update: K2 website says there are two K2 dealers in Jackson.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Update: K2 website says there are two K2 dealers in Jackson.

Both K2 dealers in Jackson haven’t carried K2 for 2 and 3 years respectfully and don’t know who their reps actually are. They stopped carrying the skis when K2 was rumored for sale and stopped doing anything with their skis.

Didn’t chat much with the guys at Teton Mountaineering other then for them to say they don’t carry K2 any more.

Had a nice chat with Andy at Wilson Backcountry about the whole thing. His guys have taken care of me when I break my bike and don’t want to stop riding the pass more then I can count. Didn’t ask him for help cause I don’t want to drag him into this mess. Don’t fuck with your bike mechanic is right up there with don’t fuck with your ski shop guy or the guy who fixes your sled.

Cause this will come up, the resort and K2 got into some sort of fight and don’t do business together any more, so the resort shops can’t help either. Tbh, it’s pretty rare to see K2 gear around. A few (2?) K2 pros lives in town, a few of the ski schoolers, guides, and patrollers have hook ups, but I can’t really think of many of the skids/locals on K2 other then a few outliers. You see a lot of Blizzard, Solomon, Atomic, Volkl, Dynastar, Black Crows, Kaestle, Icelandic, and Armada, and those companies have a physical presence in the village shops, JHS, TVS, and Peppies/Mudroom/Nomad.

Last edited by skibrd; 01-26-2020 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FlimFlamvanHam View Post
    Yup.

I do not understand how K2 cannot be purchased by a Canadian (CDN shipping address) from a US online retailer but vice versa is ok. Salomon too. And many other brands. Yet the MSRPs are identical in figure but the exchange makes buying them out of Canada a no brainer. I am assuming they shipped to your US address?

I'm amazed by this only because I've warrantied skis in the past (never K2) and the warranty experience has been about a painless as possible. So much so that just those experiences alone make me think very highly of Liberty and Blizzard.

And you were not too quick with the neg feedback. In my opinion dealing up your issue should have been a priority. Thanks for posting and ensuring I never set foot in UA.
    Yeah, some weird rules around exchange rates and boarder crossing exist. Ironically, I bought my first mountain bike from Marty’s Bikes in Victoria, BC (Marty is awesome FYI if you are bike shopping) saved $1500 USD, and when I had warranty issues Evo in Seattle, and Hoffs Bikesmith in Jackson both helped me out even though they knew the history of the bike.

I’ve warrantied 4 (maybe 3 I lost track of how many RS140s I cracked) pairs of Lange boots, never a question or issue, a few pairs of Pivots, two pairs of Blizzard Bonafides, and a pair of Volkl Shiros, and never had an issue. Companies just ask for proof of purchase, pics of the damage, the item back, and send me replacements. Usually I went through a shop in town, but a few times I’ve done it myself and never had issues, until now.

The direct costs are not what’s preventing K2 from warranting the ski. They are trying to force the slimy CA shop to deal with the consequences of breaking dealer agreements. K2 pretty much needs to force the shop to deal with this otherwise they open the flood gates for shops to do whatever they want. It sucks, but this is why everyone says to watch out with buying across borders to save some cash. The shop is dragging feet because they know they fucked up and will need to eat the cost.

I’ve warrantied 4 (maybe 3 I lost track of how many RS140s I cracked) pairs of Lange boots, never a question or issue, a few pairs of Pivots, two pairs of Blizzard Bonafides, and a pair of Volkl Shiros,
    I hate to say it, but if K2 is monitoring this thread, they are less likely now to warranty it.

I’ve warrantied 4 (maybe 3 I lost track of how many RS140s I cracked) pairs of Lange boots, never a question or issue, a few pairs of Pivots, two pairs of Blizzard Bonafides, and a pair of Volkl Shiros, and never had an issue. Companies just ask for proof of purchase, pics of the damage, the item back, and send me replacements. Usually I went through a shop in town, but a few times I’ve done it myself and never had issues, until now.

Obviously you're now on a warranty blacklist. I'm surprised anyone in North America will even sell you ski gear.

A few (2?) K2 pros lives in town
    Karl have any pull at K2?

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    The direct costs are not what’s preventing K2 from warranting the ski. They are trying to force the slimy CA shop to deal with the consequences of breaking dealer agreements. K2 pretty much needs to force the shop to deal with this otherwise they open the flood gates for shops to do whatever they want. It sucks, but this is why everyone says to watch out with buying across borders to save some cash. The shop is dragging feet because they know they fucked up and will need to eat the cost.

I hate to say it, but if K2 is monitoring this thread, they are less likely now to warranty it.

Yeah, and at the end of the day I’m SOL. Sucks but that’s part of what I get for buying across the boarder.

Maybe? I highly doubt I’ll get a warranty at this point anyways. I’m a large person with very narrow feet, ended up working with Lange after the third pair, switched to ZBs, didn’t work with my ankles, passed them on to a mag for super cheap, switched to Head Raptor 140RS and have been super happy. Pivot half moons and turn tables break, Look was really awesome to deal with. Blizzard had a run of top sheets that had issues, just the clear plastic that gives them their shine pealed off in large sheets. I forgot what happened with the Shiros, but they are hanging on my wall cause I skied some pretty rowdy stuff on them. Oh, Volkl offered me a pair of Confessions and said no thanks cause of the sentimental value with those Shiros and didn’t want to lose them.

When you ski 100+ days a year, things break. If gear dies after a good long life, it’s dead and you remember the good times you had with said gear, my first pair of Kaestle MX 98s lasted 250 days, the top sheet of metal started coming off the core, they are hanging in the garage, I’m not even going to look at Kaestles warranty policy cause I got a LOT of use out of them. My last pair of Hestra gloves, a company that has an awesome lifetime warranty policy, same deal, but they are somewhere in a corner cause they died, not Hestras issue. When skis delam after 5 days, it’s not my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Karl have any pull at K2?
    Karl lives in Sun Valley.

Both know what happened, we talked about it and I don’t want them involved. My drama isn’t worth messing with how they make a living.

Seems like a shit business model, halfway between Whistler and Vancouver. It's definitely the most shit name I've ever seen for a ski shop. The first sentence on their website involves the word "lifestyle" enough said. - They gotta be circling the toilet to refuse what's clearly a warranty issue. Can't imagine rationalizing bad customer service by saying the client is on the wrong side of an international border. They're simply taking advantage of a loophole and deserve all the bad press they get. Fuck you Urban Alpine.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Obviously you're now on a warranty blacklist. I'm surprised anyone in North America will even sell you ski gear.
    I’m fucked going to have to change sports.

One of these days I need to learn to do multiple responses in one post. Sorry about the multiple posts.

Based on ur pics- Looks like a rock hit the edge, right at the ski brake....so the ski delamed...stop being a whinny little bitch expecting someone else to be accountable for ur negligence....

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Based on ur pics- Looks like a rock hit the edge, right at the ski brake....so the ski delamed...stop being a whinny little bitch expecting someone else to be accountable for ur negligence....
    Scraping over a rock causes delam? I will agree landing on rocks, destroying edges and side walls would be a case for stopping bitching and moving on, but since that’s not what happened, I’ll give you another swing.

Your lack of understanding how fiberglass and epoxy work with a wood core is lacking, but providing humor, either that or you’ve never been skiing except on perfect bluebird 12in powder days with a 1000in base covering any and everything

Damage caused by u is damage caused by u. Don’t blame others....

I live in the can- Rockies-rarely does the base top 150cm. I hit rocks every run, but don’t write home about it or blame others for the rocks I hit....

That's not anywhere near a bad enough rock hit to normally cause a delam at the TOP of the ski. The inside of the edge doesn't even look dented. If he had landed on a rock hard enough, it would have blown out the sidewall. Maybe. It shouldn't have had anything to do with where the cap and the sidewall blend together at the top of the ski, while the edge and the sidewall look perfect.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

You want to know what makes this even more fucked up is that Urban Alpine has a pair of the 193s on the wall lol.

Sorry they are fucking you over. Seems shady enough that they are selling on ebay and breaking dealer agreements.

U hit a rock at the wrong angle skis can explode, so do ligaments..but that’s a different story. Point is ski weakened from an impact. It’s not the stores fault. If anything the manufacturer should be stepping up-it’s there f’n product but they’ve already convinced u someone else is to blame....lol...

FYI-K2 grades there skis A,B,C. For accounting purposes. All C class skis are budgeted into warranty claims. This ski u delamed most likely wasn’t a C class so they won’t replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    U hit a rock at the wrong angle skis can explode, so do ligaments..but that’s a different story. Point is ski weakened from an impact. It’s not the stores fault. If anything the manufacturer should be stepping up-it’s there f’n product but they’ve already convinced u someone else is to blame....lol...

FYI-K2 grades there skis A,B,C. For accounting purposes. All C class skis are budgeted into warranty claims. This ski u delamed most likely wasn’t a C class so they won’t replace it.
    An impact isn’t a scrape, but whatever you are going to come back with some shitty argument saying it is when we all know logically there is a difference between scraping over a rock well skiing and dropping 10 ft onto one.

I’m not blaming UA for the ski failing, that’s on K2, which I’ve clearly stated. K2 should step up here. Hopefully they will cause I really like the skis.

I’m calling UA out for absolutely terrible customer service, and passing on what I’ve learned so other Mags can make a more informed decision, which appears to be working.

I’m slightly confused by the A/B/C thing. So skis are classified A/B/C during or post construction? And only C skis can be warrantied because of some reason quality control inspection process K2 has? What determines if a ski is an A/B/C ski?

Mr_Pretzel, I wish that’s how warranty claims worked, but I haven’t seen warranty claims work that way. Shops can’t just take a pair off the wall and give them to me because that pair is in their accounting system as a product they can make profit/revenue off of (an account can probably explain better). The shop has to take my pair from me, then get a new pair from K2 to give me. I wish it was easier then that, but it’s not. Lawyers think they run the world, but it’s really accountants and their spread sheets.