Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Oh I know, it’s just my experience when it’s a obvious warranty (Like your topsheet delaminating) that any legit shop will just give you the same product if they have it in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Oh I know, it’s just my experience when it’s a obvious warranty (Like your topsheet delaminating) that any legit shop will just give you the same product if they have it in stock.
    Generally

I have never seen a ski pulled off the wall for a warranty issue, ever. They get sent back to the manufacturer and they either send a new one, or they don’t.
    crab in my shoe mouth

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    as one of them 1oo days a year ski techs
    if that's 5 days you suck at taking care of your gear and should consoder skiing where theres mur snow
    and them "makes their living" guys
    I buy my gear from them
    instead of Canadian hoser shops
    "CAUSE THATS HOW THEY MAKE THEIR LIVING"
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    I have never seen a ski pulled off the wall for a warranty issue, ever. They get sent back to the manufacturer and they either send a new one, or they don’t.
    I know a shop that does it for some brands. They have certain contracts that allow the manager to make the judgement call if it’s within the warranty period. If it’s iffy he will usually contact the warranty dept and see what their thoughts are. If they have the ski they’ll replace it and deal with the manufacture directly.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

we do it
    probably the difference tween a single podunk least coast shop that employess the mrs. buttercakes and a few others
    and a decades old internet business with 4 brick and mortars and hundred+ employees
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Shop review: Urban Alpine Ski Shop FAIL

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    we do it
    probably the difference tween a single podunk least coast shop that employess the mrs. buttercakes and a few others
    and a decades old internet business with 4 brick and mortars and hundred+ employees
    We have two shops, been in business for 30 years and we’re quite reputable.

What’s yer beef?
    crab in my shoe mouth

Podunk? Not us.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1599.JPG 
Views:	204 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	312521
    crab in my shoe mouth

I wouldn’t judge the quality of a shop based on their willingness to put the wintersteiger rep’s kids through college, but rather if their employees can actually flex their boots.

Both shops I worked at would replace warranty gear out of stock if: a) clear warranty issue, with high confidence the vendor would cover on the back end, and b) stock on hand to replace said item.

Are you confused? I’ve never had trouble with my boots. Show me where I’m not flexing my shoes. Am I living rent free in your mind?
    Take a lap
    crab in my shoe mouth

K2 should warranty the skis and take care of the dealer behind the scenes. It is not very hard. I would be more pissed at them than the ski shop.

But seriously dude, you need to take better care of your shit. Your warranty list is a mile long and not brand specific. The only constant is you.
    Live Free or Die

I talked to K2 US this morning to let them know Urban Alpine was behind the eBay store, and ask if I got the skis repaired, would they still warranty them over the summer. The dude at K2 US (Kurt, nice guy) was awesome, but couldn't help. I had a feeling he couldn't help, but it was worth a shot. I also had a feeling he wasnt going to answer the repair question, which he didn't and thats 100% ok. He did recommend talking to K2 Canada because the skis were bought in Canada, progress! He transferred me to K2 Canada, and they were super nice and sympathetic (they are Canadian after all), but couldn't help because all warranty claims at K2 go through stores then to K2 Canada, not through the warranty claim phone number at the Canadian HQ. He said if I got the skis back into Canada, to go into any K2 retailer (he suggested skipping Urban Alpine) in Canada, then K2 Canada would be able to warranty the skis or sell me a crash replacement, sort of kind of progress?

So what have I learned here? It is worth shopping at my local shops cause what I saved buying the skis, I would blow in shipping and/or gas getting to Canada and back. Life lesson learned, again, that upfront savings do not always equal life time savings. At this point I'm probably going to get the original Mindbender 116Cs repaired. Ive seen my shop guys do some amazing work, and this should be a pretty easy repair in the grand scheme of things. Id love to get a new pair, but I dont have a trip to Canada planned/budgeted for this winter. I think the easiest option is to keep warning people away from Urban Alpine, and get the skis fixed. Ironically enough I was thinking about buying a bike from Yt or Commencal, but I like having shop support. Saving some money up front is nice, but Im hard on gear. Im a big dude who plays hard, and I like my shop guys, so Im going to support them. The smile on guys faces when you walk into the shop with a 6/12 pack, and getting work done fast and correct, is worth it.

Jesus. This is a lot of dropping the ball. Might be a good indicator as to why no one locally carries K2.
    And that is definitely a scrape, not an impact, but OMG, my edge polishing OCD went nuts looking at those photos. Take care of your gear!

SFB, it actually looks like about 5 days at Big Sky early/low tide season. Jackson isn't that far from there, so it could be similar gnome sharpened rocks all over the place, especially on anything steep. Like I said, depends where/how you ski.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Going to play devils advocate here for a bit.

Skibrd, I read through, and forgive me if I missed it, but what type of event caused the delam? Is it mounted with a tele binding?

Shop review: Urban Alpine Ski Shop FAIL

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post

Skibrd, I read through, and forgive me if I missed it, but what type of event caused the delam? Is it mounted with a tele binding?
    looks like a pivot heel to me, possibly mounted with cast?

Jesus. This is a lot of dropping the ball. Might be a good indicator as to why no one locally carries K2.
    And that is definitely a scrape, not an impact, but OMG, my edge polishing OCD went nuts looking at those photos. Take care of your gear!

SFB, it actually looks like about 5 days at Big Sky early/low tide season. Jackson isn't that far from there, so it could be similar gnome sharpened rocks all over the place, especially on anything steep. Like I said, depends where/how you ski.
    bro tip
    dont ski nice new shit in low tide
    rock rock skis and bust out the goods when the tides full

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    At this point I'm probably going to get the original Mindbender 116Cs repaired. Ive seen my shop guys do some amazing work, and this should be a pretty easy repair in the grand scheme of things.
    If you're gonna be breaking skis regularly, you might want to learn how to repair stuff. A busy shop is not gonna do a repair as good as you can do yourself. Buy some clamps and some high quality epoxy and get to work.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Yeah but then I'm gonna has to ask my wife for skiing fishing and pots monies
    aka
    "make a living"

Yeah but then I'm gonna has to ask my wife for skiing fishing and pots monies
    aka
    "make a living"
    He's only paying with a six pack. You want to be hitting up the Deer Valley types with the customs.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Corbett’s
    Corbett's customer service is kick ass. Bought a pair of boots for my son there a few weeks ago on a Tuesday night, knowing that they only ship US orders on Tues and Friday. Planned on them shipping friday, but for some reason they did not. I contacted customer service and let them know that I was a bit bummed because they were for my son and we were heading on a ski trip. They ended up eating the cost of shipping ski boots fedex international priority to ensure they got to me when we needed them.

Between their amazing clearance deals, awesome customer service and a favorable conversion rate for canuck cash, I will DEFINITELY be buying more shit from them in the future.

/drift

this thread delivers
    interent call out on shitty shop and even shittier skis
    I thought k2 made rental skis for gapers and thats it
    oh wait I know this chick who is spansered by k2 and gets a couple pairs a year
    maybe I should go investigate the fleet and make sure they are not delaming
    keep it up

Not pictured: edge compression on the other side of the ski. Sorry to blow your secret but you probably should be honest with everyone, you hit a bunch of rocks and your skis broke, what did you expect from a ski that weighs 2000 grams in a 193. Epoxy it back together and call it a day, now you have rocks skis for seasons to come.

Oh so Urban Alpine is to Canadian eBay what skibrd is to Gear Swap.

This thread is paying off. I’m finally getting my moneys worth on that janky ass jig you pawned off on me.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Oh so Urban Alpine is to Canadian eBay what skibrd is to Gear Swap.

This thread is paying off. I’m finally getting my moneys worth on that janky ass jig you pawned off on me.
    You screwed up, were told you screwed up, were given multiple options to attempt to prove what you thought was the issue, and only wanted to keep the jig and get your money back. When I called you on your BS, you disappeared, only to reappear every once in a while to bitch, get put in your place, then disappear again. You were told a jig only was designed to go to about 100mm wide skis, and you can't mount skis any wider. You tried to mount wider skis, screwed up, then blamed me cause of your incompetence. There is a reason I was VERY clear in the for sale thread what the limitations of the jig were, but you knew better and when you were proven wrong, pointed the finger at everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by madriverfreeride View Post
    Not pictured: edge compression on the other side of the ski. Sorry to blow your secret but you probably should be honest with everyone, you hit a bunch of rocks and your skis broke, what did you expect from a ski that weighs 2000 grams in a 193. Epoxy it back together and call it a day, now you have rocks skis for seasons to come.
    Never tried to hide what happened, never tried to keep info from anyone. Skied over rocks is more actuate, you know I dont ski that fast and hard where we were. You and everyone else who looked at the skis all agreed that they are not related, and agreed the skis should be warrantied. The top sheet shouldn't of popped off. I expect a company to respect their warranty policy. Thank god I'm going away for a week so I dont lose my shit on you.

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    Corbett's customer service is kick ass. Bought a pair of boots for my son there a few weeks ago on a Tuesday night, knowing that they only ship US orders on Tues and Friday. Planned on them shipping friday, but for some reason they did not. I contacted customer service and let them know that I was a bit bummed because they were for my son and we were heading on a ski trip. They ended up eating the cost of shipping ski boots fedex international priority to ensure they got to me when we needed them.

Between their amazing clearance deals, awesome customer service and a favorable conversion rate for canuck cash, I will DEFINITELY be buying more shit from them in the future.

/drift
    Corbets is awesome. I got 2 pairs of P18s from them for a great price and the shipped quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    If you're gonna be breaking skis regularly, you might want to learn how to repair stuff. A busy shop is not gonna do a repair as good as you can do yourself. Buy some clamps and some high quality epoxy and get to work.
    Sometimes I do my own work, sometimes I dont. Right now I dont have time, so I'm paying the shop to do it. Other times I do. But having built fiberglass boats in the past, and knowing what any and all fiberglass work involves, Ill gladly pay someone else to do it if I can get away with it.

bro tip
    dont ski nice new shit in low tide
    rock rock skis and bust out the goods when the tides full
    I sold all you guys my rock skis over the summer. These are now my rock skis I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post

Not sure? Went to get them tuned and get the slight compressed edge on the other side of the same ski fixed (not a warranty issue and I didnt really care about it) when the guy who works on my skis noticed the top sheet delaminating on the other side of the same ski. Him and two other guys at the shop all suggested I try to warranty the skis. Both skis show wear from use, but there was no one incident that would be an ah-ha moment the ski took an impact from X Y or Z action. The skis had CAST 2.0 converted Pivots on them. It is a great set up.

I haven't been to Big Sky yet, but I've hard about your famous ski killing sharks, and even more famous ski resurrecting ski techs. I had the skis out the first few days of our deep January start. We had pow, but definitely had to step over rocks in spots. It was also a bit of bush wacking to get around at lower elevations. If you get a chance to ride the tram in the summer, you'll see the whole ski area is rock. Its one of the big reasons I was told the bike park hasn't expanded, there just isn't much dirt to build with. As I said, I took them in to get tuned when the delam was discovered.

A few comments were made about skiing rock skis early season, well I sold them all to you.

Another comment was made about selling crap on here. I made one mistake with a pair of P14s to emcee. Told him I used the Pivots were 15-20 days, which his what my spreadsheets said, and forgot I bought them used on here and didn't know how many days they were used before I got them. He pointed out the mistake, I offered to buy them back and pay the shipping. We are still working on making it right. One person, JackAttack, is but hurt cause he screwed up, which I addressed above. Everyone else has been super happy with what they got, and the condition it showed up in. I do my best to get skis tuned before they are shipped out, and price them accordingly.

I've bought skis from skibrd and have no complaints. Stand up guy.

Thread drift over...

I, and a couple of others, posted asking about credit card protection. I didn't notice a specific response on that - you said purchased through PayPal, but with a credit card too? Cards sometimes do offer warranty type services or act as a middleman for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.