Ski reviews on a couple quiver additions

So my local hill has a lot of glades and tree skiing with some big open bowls and long groomer run outs to the lifts. It’s a big resort and has had some good snow over the last few months

Skis I currently have and like
    Protest, kusala, billy goat, Lhasa fat, lotus 120, spur, corvus, pontoon, basically fat and directional

Skis I did not like
    Bibby, bentchetler, automatic, powabunga

Skis I liked but not enough to keep
    Pescado, renegade, GPO and squad

Lately tried whitedot redeemer, nocta, pesacado, and QST118

Nocta and QST definitely deviate from directional but are still semi fat and rally fun

Redeemer is basically a full rocker protest IMO

Pescado is really fun until I hit long run outs and want a tail. So I sold that ski

190 redeemer is really fun, quick and actually carves quite well. Not quite as stable in terms of radius as protest but a little more poppy and Freeride especially in trees. It’s quick and is just a ton of fun. Protest is a little more forgiving in harder snow but all around a great pow ski. Took it out on opening day with 4 feet and it ruled. No float issues

Nocta is also poppy and fun but can charge. Feels a little like a narrower kusala and with wood core better in variable. Pure pow and trees it’s fun and as long as your centered the 190 fixed tip dive I had on the 185. Not super quick in trees but covers ground quite well and is just an easy fun stable ski

Now we do have low tide days where it’s some groomers to get to 6-8” of fun pow. Still tree skiing and some fall line and chutes. Today was like that. Usually grab Corvus or billy goat. Both are stable and quick with BG better if 8-12”. But some days like today I want a light ski that can still be quick and somewhat stable. The QST118 in 185 fits the spot. Just point and go and really easy with -5 mount. Great on groomers and really good in trees. Not BG stable but it’s 2lbs lighter.

I have skied quite a lot of skis and finally feel like quiver is mostly dialed. But still have to ski ARG and the new praxis hybrid. Anybody with 307 bsl and wanting to demo happy to share the quiver at my local hill. Feel free to ask questions or join in

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Awesome notes dude thank you!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Inneresting. I like a lot of the same skis as you but gotta ask, how big/little or you. Being on the heavier end of the spectrum I find my experiences can vary quite a lot from most, especially with matters like tip dive. How do the Nocta and QST compare to the Lhasa Fat in soft, deep chop and weird snow (e.g. wind fucked)?

The best wind affected ski I have is BG. Corvus is close. Qst was pretty good and nocta is only pow so far so can’t say. But I’m 180-200 lbs. we don’t get a ton of wind affected in Utah

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Nice summary. Pm sent!

Great summary, how would you describe the differences between the Nocta and Protest? Why would you take one out over the other?

Protest is just one of the best pow skis ever. Nocta is freestyle and encourages more slide, pop and jib. Protest just wants to go forward

If I want to cover ground and vert it’s protest if playing maybe nocta. So many good skis

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

^ Can’t argue with that first sentence, or the second one.

So you’re saying I need to add the Protest to my quiver then? I agree about your Nocta assessment, only gotten it out twice but it made me want to pop around and be playful more than my old L138s. Was curious where the Protest fell in that spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Protest is just one of the best pow skis ever. Nocta is freestyle and encourages more slide, pop and jib. Protest just wants to go forward

If I want to cover ground and vert it’s protest if playing maybe nocta. So many good skis

Which of these from the 100-108 range would you recommend for a pretty hard charging ski? I was thinking the renegade but I can’t remember the waist either. Mainly trying to find a new directional charger, camber and good tip rocker for powder that I can reuse skins from Fischer ranger 108s on.

My dad could also use a real good 95-105 sturdy ski that has got really good agility.

Any recs?

The best wind affected ski I have is BG. Corvus is close.
    I like this. I hope it's true. RES kills wind-affected snow and I just mounted a 193 Corvus.

Wind affect is pretty much all I ski.

Hey whyturn, can you give a few sentences on why you didn't keep the Renegade, but did keep the Kusala? And... how does the Protest compare to the Renegade?

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Hey whyturn, can you give a few sentences on why you didn't keep the Renegade, but did keep the Kusala? And... how does the Protest compare to the Renegade?
    Yeah. Renegade for me had a small sweet spot. I think if I skied it more I could dial it. But pull it out a few times a year due to quiver size and no bueno. Now pull kusala and instant easy success. So for me the kusala fixes all renegade issues. Don’t get me wrong it’s a great ski but requires attention I’m not always willing to give.

Protest is even easier and have 192 which is perfect for multiple feet and big days. Better feel on run outs due to wood core and camber. Protest is insane on open and trees. But kusala is a little quicker in 186 and pivot. Not by much it just smashes better and is insta pivot. I scored on a pair and they are fun. I also have a Lhasa fat with kusala rocker. More all mountain and almost as quick (150/120/130 35m full rocker).

I like 30-35 meter and not a ton of taper or pintail and big rocker (OG lotus and megawatt).

Three exceptions are my 183 Corvus (21m 183), nocta and qst which are both 26m.

Corvus is great all mountain and skied it on memorial weekend last year in mineral basin and I cut a line out far right and farmed 2 foot of pow all day. It’s great on groomers and does not get too bucked in chop and it’s just easy. I have 183 but would have got 188 it was also a great TGR deal. New mode has full rocker so no comment on that.

I’m a collector and love the indies
    Praxis
    ON3P
    PM gear
    Old DPS lotus 120 and that’s it.

Will try more Moment at demo on 3/14 at local hill

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Thanks for that.

I've always seen the Kusala as what the Renegade was trying to be. And the Protest has always attracted my eye for JP forests lines and maybe some bigger open lines that I get on once in a while.

But all that said, I just can't fathom something being easier or more intuitive than a 2013 Ren. Even the new 2020 looks like too much rocker with too much sidecut. On paper, it looks like a slower ski that is likely easier for lower angles. Not that Japan forests are steep, but... my 186 is already pushing the limits of its radius being too turny when it really opens up and the speed gets real. It goes straight just fine, but I wouldn't mind a longer sidecut for arcing those super g turns.

I never liked a shorter radius for being more turny in the forests... I prefer to pivot short turns in 3d snow. Once I'm up to speed and actually arcing carves on the surface of 3D snow, I want a long radius and a mellow rocker.

I kind of wished the Ren had gone the opposite direction--- more towards the 40s for radius and reverse camber. I'm sure the 2020 Ren dances and Marios through a forest like a video game, though.

The thing I’d say about the qst118, for me, is it’s a “no adjustment” ski. I don’t have think about them or adjust at all. I don’t adjust anything to ski them, they just feel completely intuitive to me. Probably the most natural feeling, least-noticeable ski I’ve ever had...and I really like that.

Felt the same way about Solly Rocker 122s, pretty similar skis IIRC. Tail felt a little short but I got used to it quick. Cool surfy ski that floats a ton but still feels pretty frictionless

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Thanks for that.

I've always seen the Kusala as what the Renegade was trying to be. And the Protest has always attracted my eye for JP forests lines and maybe some bigger open lines that I get on once in a while.

But all that said, I just can't fathom something being easier or more intuitive than a 2013 Ren. Even the new 2020 looks like too much rocker with too much sidecut. On paper, it looks like a slower ski that is likely easier for lower angles. Not that Japan forests are steep, but... my 186 is already pushing the limits of its radius being too turny when it really opens up and the speed gets real. It goes straight just fine, but I wouldn't mind a longer sidecut for arcing those super g turns.

I never liked a shorter radius for being more turny in the forests... I prefer to pivot short turns in 3d snow. Once I'm up to speed and actually arcing carves on the surface of 3D snow, I want a long radius and a mellow rocker.

I kind of wished the Ren had gone the opposite direction--- more towards the 40s for radius and reverse camber. I'm sure the 2020 Ren dances and Marios through a forest like a video game, though.
    Try to get on a Protest. Very easy in the trees, and an absolute dream on big open terrain.

Protest rule.

Whyturn, your Lhasa Fats are 120 underfoot?? Ive owned both the PMGear hybrid fat and the own the praxis build and they both were 117. Or maybe you’re just rounding as the other dims are more than measured.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Protest rule.

Whyturn, your Lhasa Fats are 120 underfoot?? Ive owned both the PMGear hybrid fat and the own the praxis build and they both were 117. Or maybe you’re just rounding as the other dims are more than measured.
    If he's still got the pair I sold him, they are special makeup 120 underfoot 150 tip 186 length with Kusala rocker. Never skied them, there was hole conflict with my BSL & bindings of choice at the time if I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    If he's still got the pair I sold him, they are special makeup 120 underfoot 150 tip 186 length with Kusala rocker. Never skied them, there was hole conflict with my BSL & bindings of choice at the time if I recall.
    IIRC the 191 Lhasa Fat is 117 under foot and the few 186 fats that were pressed had the measurements above.

What generation Spurs do you have? Looks like asymmetrical 192 is completely different ski from the first gen 189

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Oh yeah that’s them. Weird Lhasa fat 186 with kusala rocker. 150/120/130 with30 ish radius and a lot of holes. But my bindings fit. I guess I finally got you back with those Pescados

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by travel_to_ski View Post
    IIRC the 191 Lhasa Fat is 117 under foot and the few 186 fats that were pressed had the measurements above.
    Zactly.
    Oh yeah that’s them. Weird Lhasa fat 186 with kusala rocker. 150/120/130 with30 ish radius and a lot of holes. But my bindings fit. I guess I finally got you back with those Pescados

That makes more sense being the 186.

So I skied the kusalhasa as I call it yesterday in 6-8 of pretty light on firm layer underneath. Just so quick and really covered vert well. Pat made a winner there and too bad he could not keep production going due to allergy. But they are rippers for sure

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)