Page 1053 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 ... LastLast
Results 26,301 to 26,325 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    The only change that might happen is that the release might have an effect (I use the word "might" advisedly) on the election. And any impact on the election would be diminished by the passage of time, i.e. the potential effect is greater closer to the election (but not so close that it doesn't have time to sink in with people).

Releasing the book earlier is unlikely to have saved lives. Policies would not have hanged, imo. Releasing it now might ("might", again) have an effect on the election and maybe even save the country. Obviously it's unlikely that a book would dent Trump, but if one was, this is it, and the time to release it is pretty much now. Woodward doesn't just get a pass in my book, he gets an "A" for trying to work the timing of his revelations for maximum effect.
    Obviously Trump can't be changed at this point or even back in April. The key is McConnell. Have you heard him or any Republican senator react to the troop dis or this "I always knew it was bad" Woodward thing, except maybe Romney? Of course not.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Tucker sez Trump sitting down for 18 interviews to defend the indefensible was Lindsay Graham's fault.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...005135287.html
    The gay guy gets thrown under the bus.

How much of the pandemic is worth getting rid of Trump? Sounds hyperbolic, but it's not.

Nothing to do with policy (although there will be changes to that even now, as long as the changes can help with polling). If Woodward's tapes convince 1% of Trump's base that he's taking it seriously in his own life (which appears to be true) and half of those people rethink their own personal practices that reduces infections. And deaths. And long-COVIDs. With almost 200k dead the speculation is only how many. Rounding 0.1% down to zero ignores a couple hundred dead. And probably a $5B cost. So what's the right number?

What?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    What?
    If the strategy is to get rid of Trump while accepting an increased pandemic in the process, how much of an impact is acceptable to achieve that goal?

D X 4.8 as a percentage of alpha?

That's one way to deal with cognitive dissonance, I guess. Today might be peak dissonance nationwide, so cope as you must. Curious to hear how the ditto-heads are going to approach it.

“It might have”

So some of you are seriously stooping to low as to blame the journalist for not getting the story out quick enough.

If only Woodward have run straight to the presses screaming this in April, what do you think would have happened?

Trump supporters would have suddenly demanded his impeachment? No-mask-holes would have suddenly realized the seriousness and donned masks? The GOo would have seen how craven And incompetent DJT is and impeached/removed him?

I’ll tell you: exactly nothing would have been different.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    That's one way to deal with cognitive dissonance, I guess. Today might be peak dissonance nationwide, so cope as you must. Curious to hear how the ditto-heads are going to approach it.
    They already have their talking points: Dear Leader was just trying to prevent panic, and it's Woodward's fault for not releasing the tapes earlier. Can't make this shit up.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    blame
    What did this word mean to you?

The world is not limited to false dichotomies. Even the most ardent Trumpet has to accept that Trump was in the wrong in order to "blame" Woodward for anything. Besides which, if Woodward doesn't get these recordings the whole thing only comes out even later, if at all. Woodward is a hero here. That doesn't make him perfect.

But like I said: we won't be able to discuss this honestly for at least a year. Maybe that's for the best, it's not like it changes anything now.

“It might have”

So some of you are seriously stooping to low as to blame the journalist for not getting the story out quick enough.

If only Woodward have run straight to the presses screaming this in April, what do you think would have happened?

Trump supporters would have suddenly demanded his impeachment? No-mask-holes would have suddenly realized the seriousness and donned masks? The GOo would have seen how craven And incompetent DJT is and impeached/removed him?

I’ll tell you: exactly nothing would have been different.
    Yup. He's got a pile of bodies on Fifth Ave that he's shot, and still can fill a small venue with cheering fans.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    The only change that might happen is that the release might have an effect (I use the word "might" advisedly) on the election. And any impact on the election would be diminished by the passage of time, i.e. the potential effect is greater closer to the election (but not so close that it doesn't have time to sink in with people).

Releasing the book earlier is unlikely to have saved lives. Policies would not have hanged, imo. Releasing it now might ("might", again) have an effect on the election and maybe even save the country. Obviously it's unlikely that a book would dent Trump, but if one was, this is it, and the time to release it is pretty much now. Woodward doesn't just get a pass in my book, he gets an "A" for trying to work the timing of his revelations for maximum effect.
    For instance, what effect is Bolton’s book having currently?

I don’t think an earlier release of the interview content would have resulted in any policy changes. I think that because of how things have gone for the last three+ years.

Time Magazine: An American Failure
    https://twitter.com/time/status/1304...290261504?s=21

The world is not limited to false dichotomies. Even the most ardent Trumpet has to accept that Trump was in the wrong in order to "blame" Woodward for anything. Besides which, if Woodward doesn't get these recordings the whole thing only comes out even later, if at all. Woodward is a hero here. That doesn't make him perfect.

But like I said: we won't be able to discuss this honestly for at least a year. Maybe that's for the best, it's not like it changes anything now.
    You won't be able to "discuss this honestly" for at least 25 years. If the people alive then are able to.

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    They already have their talking points: Dear Leader was just trying to prevent panic, and it's Woodward's fault for not releasing the tapes earlier. Can't make this shit up.
    I hope this is true for the ones I know. If they'll admit they blame Woodward then I want to know what his information changes for them. That would be hopeful. I think they'll retreat to "lying was the right thing to do" pretty quick, though. I might need to brush up on the book of Revelations.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Losing 37 to plague to save 37 from pestilence? Checks out.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You won't be able to "discuss this honestly" for at least 25 years. If the people alive then are able to.
    I think I said 1-49 originally. 25 also checks out.

Now you’re going to try split hairs on the definition of “blame.”

Makes yourself think that you’re truly objectively and intellectually thinking it through.

Thanks for proving that morons aren’t exclusive to the right wing.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Ha, yeah, and Cohen's book, and Wolff's book(s), or his sister's book, or Comey's book, or Frum's book, or McCabe's book,...or the NYT expose about Trump family finances.

Now you’re going to try split hairs on the definition of “blame.”

Makes yourself think that you’re truly objectively and intellectually thinking it through.

Thanks for proving that morons aren’t exclusive to the right wing.
    No need to split hairs over it, I'm just trying to understand why you let the idea turn you into a binary thinker.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post

I don’t think an earlier release of the interview content would have resulted in any policy changes. I think that because of how things have gone for the last three+ years.
    Agreed. The Trump supporters in my orbit are now saying that what "they've heard" is that this isn't a respiratory illness and that it's spread predominantly by touching surfaces. I asked where they're getting that from and there was no source that could be provided, but they said they heard it on "the news". Maybe FN or OAN.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

No need to split hairs over it, I'm just trying to understand why you let the idea turn you into a binary thinker.
    The irony of a lib telling the independent that he’s a binary thinker.

The irony of a lib telling the independent that he’s a binary thinker.
    The irony of an independent calling an independent a lib is pretty good, too.

I'm sorry, I should have given you more credit--in retrospect you were obviously going for a strawman who thinks in binary and just got caught up in it. Carry on.

The irony of an independent calling an independent a lib is pretty good, too.

I'm sorry, I should have given you more credit--in retrospect you were obviously going for a strawman who thinks in binary and just got caught up in it. Carry on.
    Are you talking to the mirror?

‘it’s Woodward’s fault'
    Who were you quoting here? Someone not made of straw?