Page 1500 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 ... LastLast
Results 37,476 to 37,500 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    A lot of conventional disease control practices have been thwarted by Covid's unusually long asymptomatic transmissible phase. They may still work with future pandemics, but who knows.
    Last year at this time we followed the health department/CDC contract tracers instructions to the letter. Wife had a seizure and went to hospital Dec 11th and diagnosed positive.. Everyone at home immediately masked up and stayed masked in all common areas when wife came home the next day. I wore a 3M N95 whenever I was in the master bedroom or using that bathroom.. Sprayed tons of Lysol in the bathroom before using the shower, etc. Dec 21st the contact tracers said she was good to go but rest of us had to stay put another 10 days in case we already had it. Took off our masks in the house and I moved back in to sleeping in the master bedroom.

Oh and we (me and kids) all tested negative PCR on the `15th and 19th of December..

Dec 26th I lost sense of smell, 5 days later after they said she was not still contagious. Nobody had been anywhere else, we were still ordering all food and drink delivered, etc. So I got it from her after the 10 day period she was still contagious. And, she was likely infected before she collapsed and had the seizure. She has been complaining of a headache for several days before that happened. So, based on that THREE weeks is probably the true safe period of isolation if nobody's wearing masks. Personally, I'd be OK with NO isolation for folks (especially if feeling OK).. BUT ONLY OF THEY REQUIRE EVERYOE WEAR GOOD N95 OR KN95 MASKS EVERYWHERE INDOORS.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Last year at this time we followed the health department/CDC contract tracers instructions to the letter. Wife had a seizure and went to hospital Dec 11th and diagnosed positive.. Everyone at home immediately masked up and stayed masked in all common areas when wife came home the next day. I wore a 3M N95 whenever I was in the master bedroom or using that bathroom.. Sprayed tons of Lysol in the bathroom before using the shower, etc. Dec 21st the contact tracers said she was good to go but rest of us had to stay put another 10 days in case we already had it. Took off our masks in the house and I moved back in to sleeping in the master bedroom.

Oh and we (me and kids) all tested negative PCR on the `15th and 19th of December..

Dec 26th I lost sense of smell, 5 days later after they said she was not still contagious. Nobody had been anywhere else, we were still ordering all food and drink delivered, etc. So I got it from her after the 10 day period she was still contagious. And, she was likely infected before she collapsed and had the seizure. She has been complaining of a headache for several days before that happened. So, based on that THREE weeks is probably the true safe period of isolation if nobody's wearing masks. Personally, I'd be OK with NO isolation for folks (especially if feeling OK).. BUT ONLY OF THEY REQUIRE EVERYOE WEAR GOOD N95 OR KN95 MASKS EVERYWHERE INDOORS.
    Wow, that's a wild ride.

I'd agree with the last point, except people intentionally wear their masks incorrectly a lot of the time (i.e., as a chin strap).
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    Wow, that's a wild ride.

I'd agree with the last point, except people intentionally wear their masks incorrectly a lot of the time (i.e., as a chin diaper).
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    My flight LGA->DEN departing as scheduled.
    Hell yes MS! You’re obviously not flying JetBlue. Or United. Fuck United.

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Hell yes MS! You’re obviously not flying JetBlue. Or United. Fuck United.
    Oddly enough, I’m on United. Even a blind pig finds an acorn now and then.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    If one has to travel I think that with 3 shots and a good mask the risk is acceptable. I recently flew to MN, when it was the hot spot of the country with no one wearing masks, when my sister in law died suddenly. But for pleasure travel I would that find the repeated testing and the possibility of being stranded by a positive test eliminates the pleasure. Less anxious people would differ. I find travel stressful in the best of times, although not enough to not do it.

When you say a good mask, you mean N95 or surgical mask, i.e., masks that protect you, yes?
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Oddly enough, I’m on United. Even a blind pig finds an acorn now and then.
    LOL. Safe travels!

My flight LGA->DEN departing as scheduled.
    Good to hear. I’m praying my LaG>>DEN flies tomorrow (Southwest).

Travel bans for Omicron are very dumb right now and they have been for 3+ weeks.

PCR isn't required to return to the US from international. Antigen is allowed instead. The purpose of these is potentially to limit new variant spread, sure... but not really. It is mostly about preventing super spreader events in mass transit and departure/arrival lounges. Sure, I'd love to see antigen testing required for domestic flights if you are unvaccinated (or maybe if you are unboostered).

Yes tons of people are going to get Omicron. Fuck your COVID parties and fuck you if you go to one. The point is not to keep people from getting Omicron. The point is to not have everyone sick at once! Otherwise businesses close and hospitals can't care for patients.

I agree contact tracing is now largely useless, and likely was mostly useless. In the past it was long turnarounds on tests. Now it is the short incubation of Omicron. Contact tracing works awesome for certain disease types... long incubation or contact transmission. I think contact trace teams should be focused on making sure assholes are not flying with Rona.

What does work is personal responsibility, boosters, vaccines, masking indoors, avoiding large indoor gatherings, and making healthy choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    When you say a good mask, you mean N95 or surgical mask, i.e., masks that protect you, yes?
    I'd say KN95 or better on everyone everywhere indoors public and transmission goes way down it would seem.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I'm not a mask expert. My kids have flown a fair bit since the pandemic started, using N95 they have access to in hospitals and have stayed healthy so far. I just got some NIOSH/non FDA N95's from Home Depot, but I'm not flying any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Travel bans for Omicron are very dumb right now and they have been for 3+ weeks.

PCR isn't required to return to the US from international. Antigen is allowed instead. The purpose of these is potentially to limit new variant spread, sure... but not really. It is mostly about preventing super spreader events in mass transit and departure/arrival lounges. Sure, I'd love to see antigen testing required for domestic flights if you are unvaccinated (or maybe if you are unboostered).

Yes tons of people are going to get Omicron. Fuck your COVID parties and fuck you if you go to one. The point is not to keep people from getting Omicron. The point is to not have everyone sick at once! Otherwise businesses close and hospitals can't care for patients.

I agree contact tracing is now largely useless, and likely was mostly useless. In the past it was long turnarounds on tests. Now it is the short incubation of Omicron. Contact tracing works awesome for certain disease types... long incubation or contact transmission. I think contact trace teams should be focused on making sure assholes are not flying with Rona.

What does work is personal responsibility, boosters, vaccines, masking indoors, avoiding large indoor gatherings, and making healthy choices.
    Good point about the travel issue being crowded planes and terminals. For the same reason I wouldn't go anywhere else crowded if I didn't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Not advocating COVID parties. But put yourself in the international travelers shoes. They booked their trip months ago, before the testing rule, and when things appeared ok to travel. Today, we have Omicron spreading like wildfire and despite the airlines getting bailed out by taxpayers, most will not refund or offer credit if you try to cancel. Same story for accommodations and other travel expenses. The risk of getting a positive test at the end of your trip is high, just like the risk of having a positive test at any point in time is now high. So your choices are don't go and eat the expenses. Go and hope you don't get positive test that traps you in a foreign country for who knows how long. Or just go get Omicron 90 days before your trip and get it over with. If you are young, healthy, and fully boosted, is there really that much risk to this idea, both to yourself and to society in general (with the understanding we are all likely to contract Omicron in the near future)?

And if the powers that be wanted people to avoid thinking this way they wouldn't impose stupid international travel testing rules and they would force airlines to refund due to Omicron.

Curious how many people with Europe or Mexico trips booked for this winter have canceled because of the new testing rules?

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Not advocating COVID parties. But put yourself in the international travelers shoes. They booked their trip months ago, before the testing rule, and when things appeared ok to travel. Today, we have Omicron spreading like wildfire and despite the airlines getting bailed out by taxpayers, most will not refund or offer credit if you try to cancel. Same story for accommodations and other travel expenses. The risk of getting a positive test at the end of your trip is high, just like the risk of having a positive test at any point in time is now high. So your choices are don't go and eat the expenses. Go and hope you don't get positive test that traps you in a foreign country for who knows how long. Or just go get Omicron 90 days before your trip and get it over with. If you are young, healthy, and fully boosted, is there really that much risk to this idea, both to yourself and to society in general (with the understanding we are all likely to contract Omicron in the near future)?

And if the powers that be wanted people to avoid thinking this way they wouldn't impose stupid international travel testing rules and they would force airlines to refund due to Omicron.
    First off, I think the airlines have been offering refunds or credit since covid hit. I flew over thanksgiving and my flight had that offer.

Second, anyone who booked a trip months ago ASSUMING that everything would be fine, without any consideration for the fact that this is a crazy fucking time and something like omicron was ALWAYS in the cards, is a fucking idiot.

If your point is "put yourself in the shoes of some idiot who planned really really poorly and now wants to have a "covid party" to address their own failures", then ok. But that doesn't seem like your point.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I'd say KN95 or better on everyone everywhere indoors public and transmission goes way down it would seem.
    I'm not a mask expert. My kids have flown a fair bit since the pandemic started, using N95 they have access to in hospitals and have stayed healthy so far. I just got some NIOSH/non FDA N95's from Home Depot, but I'm not flying any time soon.
    I read your comment "good mask" to mean a mask that protects you when you inhale, as opposed to masks that only protect other people when your exhale.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    First off, I think the airlines have been offering refunds or credit since covid hit. I flew over thanksgiving and my flight had that offer.

Second, anyone who booked a trip months ago ASSUMING that everything would be fine, without any consideration for the fact that this is a crazy fucking time and something like omicron was ALWAYS in the cards, is a fucking idiot.

If your point is "put yourself in the shoes of some idiot who planned really really poorly and now wants to have a "covid party" to address their own failures", then ok. But that doesn't seem like your point.
    Depends on airline and type of ticket booked. Alaska Airlines will not refund or give credit for economy fair tickets purchased after April 30, 2021.

Omicron is in the cards today, and future vaccine/immunity evading variants are in the cards for at least the remainder of 2022 and possibly years, or decades, going forward. So you are essentially saying anyone who wants to travel internationally for the foreseeable future is an idiot (we have a lot of those here on TGR). Are young, healthy, fully boosted being hospitalized? At some point we need to balance the worldwide economic well-being with the hospitals being crowded. If not today, when?

No he said anyone who is booking travel without a backup plan or a cancellation plan is an idiot. It was pretty clear in his post.

i'm still sitting on a flight credit. airline was super mellow about it.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

At some point we need to balance the worldwide economic well-being with the hospitals being crowded. If not today, when?
    This statement reads pretty true on its own. But in context it reads like you may need to learn the definition of "balance."

We need to look out for the families who buy two new snowmobiles, jet skis, and an overpowered grocery getter truck every other year who in turn never ever book anything more than the cheapest most restrictive economy ticket on the cheapest vacation airline to the cheapest all inclusive and then when shit goes sideways they’re plastered on the news with a sob story about not being able to travel or worse, not being able to get back home.

You’d think people woulda learned “actions have consequences” from their parents. If not you’d think they’d have at least learned it as we approach two years of covid.

And you’d think a lawyer would understand that the cheapest economy tickets come with restrictions - shit they’re not even buried in the fine print written by lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    No he said anyone who is booking travel without a backup plan or a cancellation plan is an idiot. It was pretty clear in his post.
    Thanks, I thought it was pretty clear, but my obtuseometer isn't always calibrated correctly.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    cono - what’s going on that you’d write a sentence like that? seriously get some help. turn off fucking newsmax. you’ve written pages about not wanting to go to war abroad and it’s only because you want to slaughter your neighbors?
    Fascists are always going to think like fascists

I read your comment "good mask" to mean a mask that protects you when you inhale, as opposed to masks that only protect other people when your exhale.
    Yes. But I don't feel qualified to tell other people what kind of mask gives enough protection. How to tell a fake KN95 or even N95, how good is an N95 that's not fit tested--does the high resistance of the mask mean you're breathing around it more than through it. I don't know the answers to these questions. Having worn surgical masks all my working life I can't say I'm impressed with how good they are for inhalation. There main purpose is to keep people from drooling and sneezing into patients. But I don't know the science. So I say good mask and leave someone else to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    We need to look out for the families who buy two new snowmobiles, jet skis, and an overpowered grocery getter truck every other year who in turn never ever book anything more than the cheapest most restrictive economy ticket on the cheapest vacation airline to the cheapest all inclusive and then when shit goes sideways they’re plastered on the news with a sob story about not being able to travel or worse, not being able to get back home.

You’d think people woulda learned “actions have consequences” from their parents. If not you’d think they’d have at least learned it as we approach two years of covid.

And you’d think a lawyer would understand that the cheapest economy tickets come with restrictions - shit they’re not even buried in the fine print written by lawyers.
    It's the testing law that I have a beef with. If someone buys a non-refundable ticket and shit hits the fan and they don't get a refund, so be it. But it sounds like there isn't a person on TGR who thinks we need to have US citizens get a negative antigen test within 24 hours of their international return flight. What percentage of America thinks this law is a good idea? Like 5%? So why the fuck do we have this law? It's an asinine, indefensible law.

And my larger point is the law actually incentivizes people to go get Omicron and get it over with so they can take advantage of the exemption and not stress about a positive test trapping them.

RE: economy budget ticket. I bought one prior to the existence of COVID, with no refund/changes in bold letters, and yet I got a credit due to COVID. I don't see the difference between the start of the pandemic, when airlines were being flexible, and now. It comes down to who do we want to bear the risk of COVID; multi-billion dollar airlines, or the consumers? Congress should require airlines to have flexible cancellation and flight change policies during the pandemic if they are going to help out the airlines financially.

I'm thinking about going to TO to see if i can another booster and dbl up. Maybe a steak and beer too. Better to be safe thsn sorry

https://www.google.com/amp/s/toronto...ne-clinic/amp/

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

It's the testing law that I have a beef with. If someone buys a non-refundable ticket and shit hits the fan and they don't get a refund, so be it. But it sounds like there isn't a person on TGR who thinks we need to have US citizens get a negative antigen test within 24 hours of their international return flight. What percentage of America thinks this law is a good idea? Like 5%? So why the fuck do we have this law? It's an asinine, indefensible law.

And my larger point is the law actually incentivizes people to go get Omicron and get it over with so they can take advantage of the exemption and not stress about a positive test trapping them.

RE: economy budget ticket. I bought one prior to the existence of COVID, with no refund/changes in bold letters, and yet I got a credit due to COVID. I don't see the difference between the start of the pandemic, when airlines were being flexible, and now. It comes down to who do we want to bear the risk of COVID; multi-billion dollar airlines, or the consumers? Congress should require airlines to have flexible cancellation and flight change policies during the pandemic if they are going to help out the airlines financially.
    So I can get delta today - and then travel - and then bring omicron onto the plane with me for the return trip by skipping the testing requirement. Awesome.

And you mentioned people are more likely to get covid in NY vs Mexico…is Mexico that only place these rules exist for? You think each destination needs to have special fluctuating rules based on a comparison of covid rates there versus a cherry picked area of the country? How complicated and perfect do you think is reasonable?

And your anecdote about your ticket doesn’t support your stance. You actually got helped out by having your non refundable ticket credited. By the airline who is getting help from government. Two years into this no one should be expecting every airline ticket to be refundable. Cheap and flexible international vacationing is not some right we are owed.

These are some pretty shitty arguments from someone whose job it is to be good at arguing.