Page 1570 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1565 1566 1567 1568 1569 1570 1571 1572 1573 1574 1575 ... LastLast
Results 39,226 to 39,250 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by teletech View Post
    uncited copypasta
    Please cite your sources

Read the article I just posted. Put your phone on private if you get paywalled

I think that's completely reasonable based on what I've read. As long as people understand that it's not a great idea to try to get COVID rather than get vaccinated.

And therein lies the problem.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Read the article I just posted. Put your phone on private if you get paywalled
    During the COVID-19 pandemic, Makary has been a critic of COVID-19 mitigation policies that led to shutdowns of businesses and schools as well as non-targeted efforts to mandate vaccination. He describes his views as "different from the 'standard party line'".[33][34] Makary was an early supporter of universal masking, writing a New York Times op-ed in May 2020 in which he suggested it would enable safe reopening of businesses and schools.[35]

When COVID-19 vaccines became available, Makary argued in a February 2021 op-ed in The Wall Street Journal that the United States would achieve herd immunity for COVID-19 around April 2021, and later criticized Anthony Fauci for predicting that 75-80% vaccination rates would be required for herd immunity.[36][37] His methodology and conclusion were criticized and disputed by William Hanage and Jeremy Faust[38] of Harvard University, A. Marm Kilpatrick of the University of California, Santa Cruz, and Eric Topol of Scripps Research, who called Makary's article a "deeply flawed oped" in need of fact checking.[8] Tara Smith commented of the study, "There are a lot of errors here, probably because the author has no background in infectious disease."[8] Makary's prediction later proved to be incorrect, in part due to the rise of the Delta and Omicron variants.[39]

Makary considers himself pro-vaccine, but has also criticized vaccination mandates for populations other than healthcare workers, highlighting the risk of myocarditis in young male vaccine recipients as a reason to exercise caution.[34]

In January 2022, Ashish Jha, speaking on Kara Swisher's New York Times podcast Sway, criticized Makary as an example of a "quasi expert." Jha stated "I take someone like a Marty Makary, who’s at Hopkins, who has said some smart things. And he’s a smart guy. But he is not afraid to go way beyond his area of expertise. And he has never been held back by being wrong."[7]
    wiki on Makary
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Makary

Footnote 8 from that wiki: “^ a b c "Misleading Wall Street Journal opinion piece makes the unsubstantiated claim that the U.S. will have herd immunity by April 2021". Health Feedback. 2021-02-26. Retrieved 2022-01-25.”

I haven't read the paywalled article, but I would like to know what his evidence is that natural immunity is better than immunity derived from vaccination. There have been other studies cited here suggesting exactly the opposite. And my recollection from what Mofro and others have posted on the topic is the advantage of the vaccine is it gives more consistent and uniform protection against the virus. Natural immunity is more scattershot. Some people are well protected, others are not.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I haven't read the paywalled article, but I would like to know what his evidence is that natural immunity is better than immunity derived from vaccination. There have been other studies cited here suggesting exactly the opposite.
    He read it on the internet somewhere.

Finally last week, the CDC released data from New York and California, which demonstrated natural immunity was 2.8 times as effective in preventing hospitalization and 3.3 to 4.7 times as effective in preventing Covid infection compared with vaccination.
    https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7104e1.htm

Interesting data, but keep in mind the conclusion is that natural immunity has only been shown to be more effective than vaccines since Delta took over. Hopefully this is promising for herd immunity to be achieved even with a large number of unvaccinated people out there.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Interesting data, but keep in mind the conclusion is that natural immunity has only been shown to be more effective than vaccines since Delta took over. Hopefully this is promising for herd immunity to be achieved even with a large number of unvaccinated people out there.
    yeah, i don't really care how we get there, but personally I'd rather not risk long-haul COVID or death...so it's vaccines for me!
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Omicron, with its extraordinary, unprecedented degree of efficiency of transmissibility, will ultimately find just about everybody," Dr. Anthony Fauci told J. Stephen Morrison

Omicron, with its extraordinary, unprecedented degree of efficiency of transmissibility, will ultimately find just about everybody," Dr. Anthony Fauci told J. Stephen Morrison
    Which is why vaccines are so important. You've got a good chance of getting Omicron, so you need to be certain you're protected from a severe case by being vaccinated. If you just had Delta than you are probably protected, but there's also nothing wrong with the belt and suspenders approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    Ah yes. Because these 3rd world nations....
    Guess what? You can make it here, too. Or you can order it from the Indian company that's already underway. Or..... Be the change, not the talk.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Guess what? You can make it here, too. Or you can order it from the Indian company that's already underway. Or..... Be the change, not the talk.
    We have the same goals in mind, jono.

My proposal leverages the strengths of both 1st world and 3rd world nations to come together and help end this pandemic in a timely manner, using safe, effective, and proven vaccines.

Your proposal is: "Here's the formula for a new experimental drug. Here's how to make it. Good luck out there guys, remember to vaccinate everybody! We are all in this together."

My proposal
    Your proposal
    you are two people on the internet who won't be doing a fucking thing about it
    calm your binary jets down

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    you are two people on the internet who won't be doing a fucking thing about it
    calm your binary jets down
    You know who else won't be doing a fucking thing about it? Any first world nation at this point.

And I was starting to wonder why 3+ years into this pandemic and Africa has less than 10% of their population vaccinated with no plans to do...anything really. The WHO is sending out SOS signals and our American media barely touch the topic while we battle over needing a 3rd or 4th booster shot.

The pharmaceutical companies clutching their pearls on sharing vaccine technology after receiving taxpayer funding for said vaccine tech is what we call regulatory capture.

But don't forget, we are all in this together.

03/2020: Pandemic begins in the USA
    01 /2022: Pandemic is 3+ years old
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Huh?

The logic of everyone that thinks that this has gone on too long is to simply apply poor arithmetic to make it seem as if it's gone longer than it has. Even if it was first detected in (late) 2019, that hardly makes this a 3 year affair as virtually no one was affected by it. I called KQ out on the dates the other day, but it isn't just her and Asspen, it's all over the place in the media.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

oof. Your gonna get some shit from your own people for this uninformed post.

The logic of everyone that thinks that this has gone on too long is to simply apply poor arithmetic to make it seem as if it's gone longer than it has. Even if it was first detected in (late) 2019, that hardly makes this a 3 year affair as virtually no one was affected by it. I called KQ out on the dates the other day, but it isn't just her and Asspen, it's all over the place in the media.
    to her credit, she only said it's entering it's third year, not declaring it 3yo

You know who else won't be doing a fucking thing about it? Any first world nation at this point.

And I was starting to wonder why 3+ years into this pandemic and Africa has less than 10% of their population vaccinated with no plans to do...anything really. The WHO is sending out SOS signals and our American media barely touch the topic while we battle over needing a 3rd or 4th booster shot.

The pharmaceutical companies clutching their pearls on sharing vaccine technology after receiving taxpayer funding for said vaccine tech is what we call regulatory capture.

But don't forget, we are all in this together.
    I’m sorry but, do you believe Africa has a centralized government?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...nt-11643214336
    Here is a good piece from the Wall Street journal. Natural immunity for the win. Why would you get boosted if you just got covid? People do this all the time. Why do you need protection from a virus you just had and Got over? You don’t get a flu shot right after having the flu.
    The CDC paper that the WSJ refers to does show that natural immunity was more effective than vaccination, but also that natural infection plus vaccination was more effective than both. A CDC study released in August also shows the infection plus vaccination is more effective than infection alone in preventing reinfection. Neither study involved Omicron.

Finally last week, the CDC released data from New York and California, which demonstrated natural immunity was 2.8 times as effective in preventing hospitalization and 3.3 to 4.7 times as effective in preventing Covid infection compared with vaccination.
    https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7104e1.htm
    That study isn't very good. Their cohorts are adults 18+. We know Covid affects different age groups differently, and yet they did not account for this. We know young people are less likely to be vaccinated. And old people get sicker, vaccinated or not.

And don't be fooled by "age adjusted" in a CDC report. Often this means a census-based adjustment so numbers can be compared across census areas (states in this study). It is not age stratifying for outcome differences within a population. IMO - I'm not a census expert, just looked into this a few months ago for a similar MMWR report.

Likely, the appropriate conclusion is that young people respond better to covid than old people. But we already know that, and they didn't sort the data this way making it hard to conclude anything here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2022-01-27-13-35-48-332_com.android.chrome.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	357.8 KB 
ID:	403081

And CDC says previous infection provides immunity.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2022-01-27-01-30-24-237_com.android.chrome.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	608.0 KB 
ID:	403083

And Mods...you can go f$ck yourselves for denying me 1st amendment rights.

I have you on ignore but I peek. 1A rights and you don't even know what 1A means. Priceless.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.