Page 1638 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1633 1634 1635 1636 1637 1638 1639 1640 1641 1642 1643 ... LastLast
Results 40,926 to 40,950 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    I see that the covid fear still has a stronghold on you. Will you ever recover?
    I see you're good with KNOWING you have it and DGAF about spreading it to others out there. People who KNOW they have it are the only people who really should be required to wear masks in public.. if they even venture out at all..

But naw, fuck everyone else...

High risk folks are definitely still masking up in public...thanks to assholes like you
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    H5N1--ie bird flu. Spreding from domestic fowl to migratory birds. Also infects pigs and some other animals. Infecting humans pretty rare, but over 50% mortality. Folks are worried that it will make the leap to easily infecting humans. Fortunately there is a vaccine. Unfortunately, the vaccine requires eggs to make.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/03/o...smid=share-url
    Three animals in Colorado, each of them now dead, tested positive for the highly pathogenic avian influenza that’s sweeping across the country, state wildlife officials said in a release.

https://www.denverpost.com/2023/02/0...ear-lion-skunk

Quote Originally Posted by fomofo View Post
    Three animals in Colorado, each of them now dead, tested positive for the highly pathogenic avian influenza that’s sweeping across the country, state wildlife officials said in a release.

https://www.denverpost.com/2023/02/0...ear-lion-skunk
    yeah yeah this is my backyard. Whatever. Speaking of diseases that are not COVID in the COVID thread....WTF happened to monkeypox?
    Last edited by Percy Rideout; 02-13-2023 at 01:02 PM.

Apparently, one of the bigger risks/problems of the current avian flu is the potential that it can decimate entire bird colonies/rookeries.

Quote Originally Posted by Percy Rideout View Post
    yeah yeah this is my backyard. Whatever. Speaking of diseases that are not COVID in the COVID thread....WTF happened to monkeypox?
    They renamed it, and it seems to be under control now. I'm sure CDC/WHO has something about "mpox" status.

As for H5 flu, the experts have worried about it for decades now. That doesn't mean it won't happen.

eta: mpox cases about 5/day, way down. Worry about something else. https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeyp...px-trends.html
    Last edited by LongShortLong; 02-13-2023 at 01:54 PM.

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Scientific American article describing long covid as a likely neurological disease. Lots of graphics.

Brief excerpt, “Dysautonomia impairs the autonomic nervous system, a network of nerves that branch out from the brain or spinal cord and extend through the body, controlling unconscious functions such as heartbeat, breathing, sweating and blood vessel dilation. For Ghormley, like many people with long COVID, dysautonomia takes the form of postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, or POTS. The syndrome encompasses a collection of symptoms that include a racing heart rate—particularly on standing—and fatigue, and it can cause bowel and bladder irregularities. POTS can also be a component of the exhaustion that comes with PEM. Although the symptoms may seem to affect the body, they stem from nervous system dysfunction.”

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...us-treatments/

Friend had a long exposure at work in a small conference room. Sounded like multiple hours together followed by the person going home and testing positive with mild symptoms. Over a week later, friend has had no symptoms and daily negative RAT tests. Their work has been proactive in improving ventilation and filtration (eg, large hepa in each room and scattered around the open spaces) in their office. Thought is that improvements in AQ is what mitigated infection.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Friend had a long exposure at work in a small conference room. Sounded like multiple hours together followed by the person going home and testing positive with mild symptoms. Over a week later, friend has had no symptoms and daily negative RAT tests. Their work has been proactive in improving ventilation and filtration (eg, large hepa in each room and scattered around the open spaces) in their office. Thought is that improvements in AQ is what mitigated infection.
    Is it still (or wasn't ht??) the best guess that people are most contagious while they are symptomatic, not before? If the person was hacking and coughing in the conference room all day I'd be more worried than if they didn't start that phase until the next day...

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Is it still (or wasn't ht??) the best guess that people are most contagious while they are symptomatic, not before? If the person was hacking and coughing in the conference room all day I'd be more worried than if they didn't start that phase until the next day...
    With the current circulating variants, my understanding is that the R0 is not well known, but that people with no symptoms are able to infect fully vaxed individuals that’s have been previously infected (aka hybrid immunity). And there have been some crazy claims and studies at how quickly somebody can become infected from previous variants (less than 1 minute)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8084504/

Apparently, one of the bigger risks/problems of the current avian flu is the potential that it can decimate entire bird colonies/rookeries.
    You shopped for eggs lately?

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    You shopped for eggs lately?
    Oddly enough, egg availability was only an issue for about a week near me, which also corresponded to a flood disaster throughout the state. Prices went up about 50 cents per dozen for the brand we typically buy.

Mpox was in the news today. WHO kept their existing warning status.

Nasty stuff all the way around.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...idemic/673058/

took me over two weeks to get over my crud
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Long covid piece on the pbs newshour. The Putrino interview starts at 4:50

https://youtu.be/ype9O4rD3Gk

Oh, yeah?! REALLY?! Ya don't say!

Immunity acquired from a Covid infection is as protective as vaccination against severe illness and death, study finds
    The immunity generated from an infection was found to be “at least as high, if not higher” than that provided by two doses of an mRNA vaccine.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...ness-rcna71027

^^^^It's also like elevently billion times more likely to put you in the hospital or kill you than getting vaccinated is.. ^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Oh, yeah?! REALLY?! Ya don't say!

Immunity acquired from a Covid infection is as protective as vaccination against severe illness and death, study finds
    The immunity generated from an infection was found to be “at least as high, if not higher” than that provided by two doses of an mRNA vaccine.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...ness-rcna71027
    The problem was you had to get COVID to get that immunity and that was far riskier than the vaccine.

IF you got the vaccine and then got COVID, much less risk in aggregate.

And now almost everyone has had the vaccine (usually multiple) and/or covid (sometimes multiples).
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

So, it wasn’t a bat bite. Most likely lab leaked.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Signs point that way. But what is the world gonna do about it? Ask China to write a 30trillion dollar IOU?

My money is on: post here saying he 100% knew it all along.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    That claim was made with “low confidence” per the Energy Dept FWIW

If only we could get rid of most of the highly expensive to support, low productivity population. The motives were there, but there is ZERO concrete evidence that a lab leak was the source.. Even the DOE says "low probability" confidence level.

Something else to consider was that Rick Perry, who couldn't even remember the name of the DOE when asked straight up, was made Director by Trump's Joker Administration. It's likely the people from that shitwhow who have gone all in on this conspiracy theory.. and it is a theory.

End of the day, doesn't matter.. once the cat (or bat) was out of the bag all we could do was either try to protect everyone best possible or watch the old and high risk folks drop like flies. We know who favored the former and who favored the latter.

What is the quality of your evidence? Is it this? - "A new classified report concluded with "low confidence" that it is plausible the COVID-19 pandemic originated from a laboratory leak"

You may want to research, but I think "low confidence" means speculation without good evidence. You know, like aliens and faked moon landings.

IDK man. I've never seen anyone say they had low confidence that the moon landings were faked.

I work with people who are constantly making predictions with confidence that isn't backed up by evidence, education, or experience. They never seem to remember the 99.99% of the times they are dangerously wrong - but they will tell you stories of the time years ago when they were right.