Page 1541 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1536 1537 1538 1539 1540 1541 1542 1543 1544 1545 1546 ... LastLast
Results 38,501 to 38,525 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by wkd-rdr View Post
    Can you provide a study that shows dumping extra in does much of anything?
    Ima ruin the fun: he can't.

Do a search of this thread or the other covid one - there have been some studies done showing that people with lower than normal vitamin D levels faired worse with covid infections.

So options are

- get your level checked and supplement if low

or

- take 1000units a day (or a few times a week if you don’t want to take it daily). It’s cheap, the pills are small, and at that dose you’re not gonna end up anywhere close to high levels in your body that could cause any harm.

(Or do neither is an option too I guess)

Anytime I’ve mentioned vitamin D in here a lot of posters have reacted like I’m saying “it cures covid! You don’t need vaccines just take vitamins! Make Vitamin D great again!”

That’s not what I’m saying.

I also loved the “my doctor never brought up vitamin D….so therefore I must not be able to benefit from it”

For the record I think HCQ and invermectin and colloidal silver are bullshit remedies for covid. And I’m triple vaxxed.

A little nuance here could help.

tgapp--the other question, besides getting a negative test, is whether you'll feel up to it, since it sounds like you're pretty sick now. But I don't think anyone can predict if you will or won't.

Re Vit D--I take 2000u/d (for my bones) and haven't gotten Covid, so it works.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    people with lower than normal vitamin D levels faired worse with covid infections.
    I agree, the association is quite apparent. Low D is associated with lots of bad things. It's a great surrogate.

Most studies (covid and everything else associated with low D), find that adding supplements don't do much at all. I'm sure some people who are really deficient could benefit, but that's not most of us.

That said, I take 5k units per day. It's cheap, low side effect profile, possibly helps. But I sure dont think it's the same as getting sun and excersize.

Also, covid free, worked in hospital for 20 years and haven't missed a (non-powder) day in the last 10... except post Moderna day #2.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

i remember that the anti vaxers were seriously over doing it on the vitamin D ... apparently not a good thing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Lots of people have low vitamin D stores and have no chronic illness (ie no other apparent bad things going on). But yes I can see how more studies would have to be done to tease out if these types of people faired worse than matched people without low D stores.

Or if you took the low D people and split them into a study and control group.

And yes exercise and some outdoor time is beneficial in a thousand ways - but no one is saying taking vitamin D is a substitute for exercise - nor does taking vitamin D preclude you from getting outdoors and from getting exercise.

Me I’m doing all 3.

XXX - you got a link to show antivaxxer doses of vitamin D? Standard dose is 1000. Dr. OG is taking 2000. WKd is taking 5000. What doses were you seeing? Got a link?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    tgapp--the other question, besides getting a negative test, is whether you'll feel up to it, since it sounds like you're pretty sick now. But I don't think anyone can predict if you will or won't.

Re Vit D--I take 2000u/d (for my bones) and haven't gotten Covid, so it works.
    Thanks OG, BennyMac, and others.

Feeling a little under the weather right now and I'm not able to look at a screen for too long, but I take vitamin D daily as well as turmeric, zinc, and a handful of other supplements.

Guess this is a good opportunity to practice some zen mindfulness. Unless, of course DumbOldDad can hook it up with the horse dewormer.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Yeah, vitamin D has no effects on the immune system.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3166406/

Lots of people have low vitamin D stores and have no chronic illness (ie no other apparent bad things going on). But yes I can see how more studies would have to be done to tease out if these types of people faired worse than matched people without low D stores.

Or if you took the low D people and split them into a study and control group.

And yes exercise and some outdoor time is beneficial in a thousand ways - but no one is saying taking vitamin D is a substitute for exercise - nor does taking vitamin D preclude you from getting outdoors and from getting exercise.

Me I’m doing all 3.

XXX - you got a link to show antivaxxer doses of vitamin D? Standard dose is 1000. Dr. OG is taking 2000. WKd is taking 5000. What doses were you seeing? Got a link?
    too much as in way too much

my older sister the anti vaxer was taking very high doses and my younger sister told me about it

there maybe be something way back in eithr of these 2 posts

somehow 30,000 comes to mind

Tgapp - Given your age and health there is a very real chance you’ll feel up to doing this trip if it’s not going to be that hardcore with long days and big climbing vertical - especially if you rest and avoid stress and keep yourself well fed and hydrated now (no guarantees of course)

The issue, as you know, is that pesky pre-trip test.

If you get a PCR test now and it shows influenza that would probably put your mind at ease that your pre-trip PCR test is likely going to be negative for covid.

If you get a PCR test now that shows covid then regardless of how you quickly you recover you’ll have to be a bit lucky to get a negative PCR in 9 days. But as reported in here that can happen.

But in that situation you’ll be left leaving it to the last day to know whether or not you can enter Canada. Which sucks.

It’s shitty timing for these symptoms to show up. Hope it works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Yeah, vitamin D has no effects on the immune system.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3166406/
    I don't think anyone said it has no effects. It's a fucking vitamin, you twit.

The question of whether dumping excessive amounts into an otherwise healthy human (or not so) helps much, is the fucking question.

Take a lap

I don't think anyone said it has no effects. It's a fucking vitamin, you twit.

The question of whether dumping excessive amounts into an otherwise healthy human (or not so) helps much, is the fucking question.

Take a lap
    Where did I claim that and why are you asking me? I never said shit about dumping excessive amounts of anything into anyone ffs!
    Pretty hilarious you get so angry over this yet yourself take 5k IU a day. Lol
    Are you always this dramatic?

Amore serious post about Vit D. I was put on it after I broke ribs several times with minimal trauma. Once it was just twisting, no trauma at all. My bone density test showed thin bones, my vitamin D level was normal. The endocrinologist they sent me to put me on calcium, vitamin D (actually a little more than 2000/d because the calcium pills contain some). So it would seem that taking 1000/d is safe whether or not your vitamin d level is low or not.

Whether taking Vit D helps reduce the chance of getting covid or helps your chances if you get it I don't know enough to comment on.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    We were all hoping that you were going to Canada for a syntax, grammar, and punctuation boot camp.
    ... going to Canada..., eh!

skiJ

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Are you always this dramatic?
    Yes

I agree, the association is quite apparent. Low D is associated with lots of bad things. It's a great surrogate.

Most studies (covid and everything else associated with low D), find that adding supplements don't do much at all. I'm sure some people who are really deficient could benefit, but that's not most of us.

That said, I take 5k units per day. It's cheap, low side effect profile, possibly helps. But I sure dont think it's the same as getting sun and excersize.

Also, covid free, worked in hospital for 20 years and haven't missed a (non-powder) day in the last 10... except post Moderna day #2.
    Fwiw, when I was getting sick a lot years ago, my doc mentioned vitamin D and my levels tested on the low side. I started supplementing and test every year and my levels are now on the high side of normal. So anecdotally, supplementation has worked for me (at least as far as raising my levels). I have been much healthier too, but I've made so many life changes that I won't try to attribute it to the vitamin.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    ... going to Canada..., eh!

skiJ
    I, for one, enjoy your writings

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Fwiw, when I was getting sick a lot years ago, my doc mentioned vitamin D and my levels tested on the low side. I started supplementing and test every year and my levels are now on the high side of normal. So anecdotally, supplementation has worked for me (at least as far as raising my levels). I have been much healthier too, but I've made so many life changes that I won't try to attribute it to the vitamin.
    Chicken, or egg?

Replace red meat with fish = win.

My medico friends claim most people are low in D. I eat a ton of high D foods, and spend a lot of time in the sun, but my levels always test low. Maybe the metrics are wrong?

Vitamin D is another popular supposed COVID cure, though many of its claims to reduce heart disease or cancer have not panned out. I was willing to entertain the possibility that it might work for COVID-19. But the only published trial about Vitamin D and COVID-19 shows that it does not. Researchers in Brazil randomized hospitalized COVID patients to get either a placebo or 200,000 units of Vitamin D. This is a massive dose and 20 times higher than what most people take per week. For those patients, their blood levels of Vitamin D went up. They just didn’t get better any faster. Admission to the ICU, being put on a ventilator and mortality were the same in both groups.

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/co...d-and-covid-19

Qiky search here, it wouldn't be too hard to find the recommended dosage for D luvin whacko nut jobs so here is one ^^where they were doing 200, 000 units of D which as i understand it is calcium so what happens if you overdo the calcium ?

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    My doc, just 2 days ago in a covid eval, said you are 99.9% not contagious 10 days after symptom onset. Testing neg is another story. Thing #1 was still testing + yesterday, 14 days after symptom onset, days after no symptoms, others in the household who got it at the same time now testing -. Fuck man, sorry.
    My whole family has COVID a year ago and it took 30 days for us to test negative again

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Vitamin D is another popular supposed COVID cure, though many of its claims to reduce heart disease or cancer have not panned out. I was willing to entertain the possibility that it might work for COVID-19. But the only published trial about Vitamin D and COVID-19 shows that it does not. Researchers in Brazil randomized hospitalized COVID patients to get either a placebo or 200,000 units of Vitamin D. This is a massive dose and 20 times higher than what most people take per week. For those patients, their blood levels of Vitamin D went up. They just didn’t get better any faster. Admission to the ICU, being put on a ventilator and mortality were the same in both groups.

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/co...d-and-covid-19

Qiky search here, it wouldn't be too hard to find the recommended dosage for D luvin whacko nut jobs so here is one ^^where they were doing 200, 000 units of D which as i understand it is calcium so what happens if you overdo the calcium ?
    To be clear - no one in their reasonable mind is promoting the idea that giving Vitamin D cures someone from a covid infection. Whether it is giving normal daily amounts or stupid high doses to a covid infected person.

There is some evidence (I’m not the person to comment on the strength of that evidence) that having a normal level of Vitamin D stores in your body (instead of a low level) may offer you better protection from having a worse case of covid. That is to say that taking vitamin D - in advance of infection - in order to ensure your vitamin D stores are in the normal range - may help support your body in some fashion that helps it in fighting back against the virus if you later get infected.

I hope you can see the difference cause I think this is the third time I’ve tried to explain this to you.
    Last edited by bennymac; 01-13-2022 at 02:16 AM.

I took zinc, and vitamin D when I had covid last year. Turned out that some of the symptoms I was experiencing were from taking too much vitamin D and zinc, and not from Covid, haha.

I hope you can see the difference cause I think this is the third time I’ve tried to explain this to you.
    I think you are wrong as usual

my point is the whacko nut job anti-vaxers are hyyping this amongst them selves just like they did with the other folk medicine shit that doesnt do anything

I don't take any supplements other than the Tolulene fumes

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    <snip>
    I don't take any supplements other than the Tolulene fumes
    And it shows, my friend... it shows.