Page 1361 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 ... LastLast
Results 34,001 to 34,025 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Texas ends statewide mask mandate, all businesses to open with no restrictions effective today......
    Moronic decision. Opening businesses is one thing. That's an economic vs. public health trade-off. Removing the mask mandate is indefensible, however.

When can we give Tejas back to Mexico?

Maybe the plan is to take all the now unused masks and use them to insulate their natural gas infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    There was a European paper cited here a while back used by some to make the argument restrictions had no effect on mortality. What they either failed to understand or willfully misrepresented is restrictions had no effect on the infection mortality rate. The study did not say restrictions didn't reduce cases, it said the opposite. Rate ≠ total cases. Restrictions, distancing, masks, etc., reduce the incidence of infection which also reduces the death toll.

Early in the pandemic a lot people said all we have to do is protect old people and everything would be fine. That's what Sweden tried to do. It didn't work. Restrictions didn't change the fact older people experienced higher death rates.

One thing that is true is the policies only had modest effects because most people made the choice to stay home on their own, chose to wear masks on their own. The policies lagged what people were already doing. Studies show those choices cut the number of coronavirus cases at least in half — there would have been twice as many cases — drastically reducing the number of hospital admissions and deaths.
    Also consider people comparing places with mandates to places without them and reversing cause and effect (a la RJ) to blame the mandates. Logically, the higher the case rate the more reason to have a mandate, therefore more mandates in areas with higher rates. But circular logic can give a lot of options.

China laughs. Our secretary of state just warned us that the Chinese are very well positioned to take over. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Also consider people comparing places with mandates to places without them and reversing cause and effect (a la RJ) to blame the mandates. Logically, the higher the case rate the more reason to have a mandate, therefore more mandates in areas with higher rates. But circular logic can give a lot of options.
    I think I can make a compelling case that traffic signals cause accidents. If you looks at the places with the most traffic signals it correlates well with places with the most accidents. Q.E.D.

WASHINGTON—Putting the nation on alert against what it has described as a “highly credible terrorist threat,” the FBI announced today that it has uncovered a plot by members of al-Qaeda to sit back and enjoy themselves while the United States collapses of its own accord.
    Multiple intelligence agencies confirmed that the militant Islamist organization and its numerous affiliates intend to carry out a massive, coordinated plan to stand aside and watch America’s increasingly rapid decline, with terrorist operatives across the globe reportedly mobilizing to take it easy, relax, and savor the spectacle as it unfolds.

“We have intercepted electronic communication indicating that al-Qaeda members are actively plotting to stay out of the way while America as we know it gradually crumbles under the weight of its own self-inflicted debt and disrepair,” FBI Deputy Director Mark F. Giuliano told the assembled press corps. “If this plan succeeds, it will leave behind a nation with a completely dysfunctional economy, collapsing infrastructure, and a catastrophic health crisis afflicting millions across the nation. We want to emphasize that this danger is very real.”

“And unfortunately, based on information we have from intelligence assets on the ground, this plot is already well under way,” he added.

A recently declassified CIA report confirmed that all known al-Qaeda-affiliated organizations—from Pakistan to Yemen, and from Somalia to Algeria—have been instructed to kick back and enjoy the show as the United States’ federal government, energy grid, and industrial sector are rendered impotent by internal dissent, decay, and mismanagement. According to statements made by top-level informants and corroborated by leading Western terrorism experts, if seen through to its conclusion, al-Qaeda’s current plot could wreak far more damage than the events of 9/11.

It’s crazy! The arguments cropping up in my community are coming from community leaders. Today, a financial advisor with his own radio show on the left winged community radio station and a weekly column in the local paper starting posting globity-gook. (He also dj’s a great Latin music show in the radio.) It’s a bit baffling coming from somebody that’s made their living reviewing and analyzing statistical and quantitative projections. Implicatory denial.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    When can we give Tejas back to Mexico?
    Think the rest of the states could construct a wall around Tejas?
    Yeesh!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    It’s crazy! The arguments cropping up in my community are coming from community leaders. Today, a financial advisor with his own radio show on the left winged community radio station and a weekly column in the local paper starting posting globity-gook. (He also dj’s a great Latin music show in the radio.) It’s a bit baffling coming from somebody that’s made their living reviewing and analyzing statistical and quantitative projections. Implicatory denial.
    Yup. At the beginning I took a step back from some of my least objective friends. It's a bummer when a lot of "creative" people turn out to be less genuinely creative and more just average but unconstrained by reality.

For a while there was a respite among the engineers, but lately I hear lots of probing attempts to justify an alternate reality even among people who have to be objective for a living. That straight up sucks. They have so little practice, they aren't even good at it--at least the creative people put good colors on their tinfoil.

I hope the EUA turns into regular FDA approval sooner than later and lots of entities can start mandating vax for employees etc. Too many people need to get back in a simpler groove.

ETA: Offspring makes a good soundtrack

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Can we ban people from Texas ..?
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    KVMR? Science is not their forte. I only listen when there's music playing. (Alan Stahler excepted)

Yup. At the beginning I took a step back from some of my least objective friends. It's a bummer when a lot of "creative" people turn out to be less genuinely creative and more just average but unconstrained by reality.

For a while there was a respite among the engineers, but lately I hear lots of probing attempts to justify an alternate reality even among people who have to be objective for a living. That straight up sucks. They have so little practice, they aren't even good at it--at least the creative people put good colors on their tinfoil.

I hope the EUA turns into regular FDA approval sooner than later and lots of entities can start mandating vax for employees etc. Too many people need to get back in a simpler groove.

ETA: Offspring makes a good soundtrack
    Gonna hit offspring a little later. Good suggestion!

Wife and I have decided that we may need to start over with a circuit of local friends after living here since 2008. <sigh>

On another note, NZ is back into lockdown due to a small, poor, religious, and disenfranchised group of deniers. Contact tracing is apparently going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Texas ends statewide mask mandate, all businesses to open with no restrictions effective today......
    Just in time for them to flood ski areas during spring break. I’m sure there won’t be any attitude issues.

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Just in time for them to flood ski areas during spring break. I’m sure there won’t be any attitude issues.
    I wish there was a way we could keep them out of Colorado for spring break. Our numbers are so much better now and with their onslaught, they’re sure to go up. What a stupid state.

The Texas rules only apply in Texas. I would think Texans who are sick of masks and carryout will stay in Texas. The other states can enforce their mask mandates if they have them--if they choose.

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    KVMR? Science is not their forte. I only listen when there's music playing. (Alan Stahler excepted)
    Yes. Cuniberti

ETA: their gardening shows on Friday are really good. It’s now one of amigo bob’s legacies.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 03-03-2021 at 11:46 PM.

The Texas rules only apply in Texas. I would think Texans who are sick of masks and carryout will stay in Texas. The other states can enforce their mask mandates if they have them--if they choose.
    What you’re saying is how one might expect Texans to act. I think you have to go through a Texas spring break influx in CO and/or NM to appreciate the impact the hoards have. A significant portion of them treat the states like playgrounds at recess. It’s been difficult enough to get our friends from east of the Pecos to mask up and behave according to local guidelines and restrictions, but now I anticipate that it’s going to be that much harder now that Texas has dropped all restrictions.

Not all Tejanos are like that, but enough of them are to lead to stereotyping.

https://www.theonion.com/covid-annou...l-t-1846400325

“Covid Announces Plan to Move Operations to Texas to Avoid Burdensome Regulations “

LOL

What you’re saying is how one might expect Texans to act. I think you have to go through a Texas spring break influx in CO and/or NM to appreciate the impact the hoards have. A significant portion of them treat the states like playgrounds at recess. It’s been difficult enough to get our friends from east of the Pecos to mask up and behave according to local guidelines and restrictions, but now I anticipate that it’s going to be that much harder now that Texas has dropped all restrictions.

Not all Tejanos are like that, but enough of them are to lead to stereotyping.
    How do you tell if the thing in the road is a Texan or an armadillo?

Usually, the armadillo has skid marks in front of it.

That one circulated quite a bit when I was a kid in CO. The Texicans are worse now in Park City than they were in CO when I was a kid. I'll keep NM in my prayers.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    How do you tell if the thing in the road is a Texan or an armadillo?

Usually, the armadillo has skid marks in front of it.

That one circulated quite a bit when I was a kid in CO. The Texicans are worse now in Park City than they were in CO when I was a kid. I'll keep NM in my prayers.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    The version I heard was lawyers instead of Texans. Utah and Colorado need to do what NM did--build a few really flat shitty ski areas that the Texans can gravitate to. California doesn't have to worry about Texans--what they hear about us is so negative they're afraid to come.

Utah and Colorado need to do what NM did--build a few really flat shitty ski areas that the Texans can gravitate to.
    Ever been to Keystone?

Or the bottom half of Breck?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Why would I go to places like that. And those aren't nearly enough to suck up all the Texans.