Page 710 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 ... LastLast
Results 17,726 to 17,750 of 41810
    I don't get the gloves. If you leave them on for an extended period of time they are just as contaminated as your hands would be and a lot harder to sanitize. If you put them on to pump gas for example and then take them off you still should sanitize your hands, so might as well skip the gloves. Plus if there is virus on the gloves, in the course of taking them off you are releasing the bugs into the air, closer to your face. A big source of transmission in health care workers seems to be virus released in the areas where gowns, gloves and masks are removed although of course the viral counts are much higher in that setting.

In the health care setting the main use of gloves previously has been to prevent transfer of infection not from patient to HCW but from patient to patient by HCW. So you discard gloves in the patient's room before leaving and put on a new pair for the next patient. In the current setting they make sense for HCW's treating Covid 19 patients as an extra line of defense but only if discarded between each patient and hands washed or sanitized after. The washing or sanitizing is more important than the gloves.

Gloves became a thing with HIV when the concern was the virus being transmitted from body fluids of the patient into small cuts on the hands of the HCW or first responder. A very different scenario than what we are dealing with now. ;

Best case scenario would be hand washing stations all over the place is stores, gas stations, work places. Until then hand sanitizer will have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I don't get the gloves. If you leave them on for an extended period of time they are just as contaminated as your hands would be and a lot harder to sanitize. If you put them on to pump gas for example and then take them off you still should sanitize your hands, so might as well skip the gloves. Plus if there is virus on the gloves, in the course of taking them off you are releasing the bugs into the air, closer to your face. A big source of transmission in health care workers seems to be virus released in the areas where gowns, gloves and masks are removed although of course the viral counts are much higher in that setting.

In the health care setting the main use of gloves previously has been to prevent transfer of infection not from patient to HCW but from patient to patient by HCW. So you discard gloves in the patient's room before leaving and put on a new pair for the next patient. In the current setting they make sense for HCW's treating Covid 19 patients as an extra line of defense but only if discarded between each patient and hands washed or sanitized after. The washing or sanitizing is more important than the gloves.

Gloves became a thing with HIV when the concern was the virus being transmitted from body fluids of the patient into small cuts on the hands of the HCW or first responder. A very different scenario than what we are dealing with now. ;

Best case scenario would be hand washing stations all over the place is stores, gas stations, work places. Until then hand sanitizer will have to do.
    Gloves remind me not to touch my face.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Literally everything you ever wanted to know about CV19. Not kidding.

https://ra-capital-prod.azurewebsite...2020_Final.pdf

I’m guessing that truckee folks and others in NV county have observed the expectations that the state will approve the county plan today or tomorrow for its “stage 2.” With operating plans in place that seem to include clear rules, restaurants and retail stores will open. Also, dentists for cleaning and other services. There’s other stuff, too, some of which is a little confusing to me.

Lots of pretty colors and lines, but too many words so Trump will never read it.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Literally everything you ever wanted to know about CV19. Not kidding.

https://ra-capital-prod.azurewebsite...2020_Final.pdf
    Reminds me of
    http://www.nyudri.org/aidwatcharchiv...n-the-military

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Ya, I still don't agree that that was the covids I caught. It was the Spanish Flu!
    Have you been tested?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Have you been tested?
    I was never able to secure testing for ratflu, or any flu. It was a non-starter up here in Franklin County, VT. My wife spent a long time on the phone on my behalf, even trying to get an influenza test. I was ordered to not leave my house unless I was having issues breathing, my local providers didn't want me anywhere near them. Nobody in my household came down with symptoms of anything. Not even sniffles. And that includes the kid who went to Spain with me. So either isolating myself in part of the house worked or whatever it was that I caught wasn't highly contagious, or both. I wish there was a reliable antibodies test. I did start using an APAP machine at that time, so maybe that helped the breathing and prevented me from having worse breathing issues. IDK. I do know that the humidifier function was really nice to have and i would look forward to it after a day of hacking up a lung.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Paging KQ to the thread .... oh wait ... you're already here. How's your N95 supply holding out?
    LOL!! I'm being very judicious with my masks. They are vital to me being able to work around the farm esp. this time of year with all the dust and pollen. Without them my sinuses rebel something fierce. I use one mask about every 10 days depending on how dirty they get, sometimes they don't last as long as others. I have been saving the elastic so that my friend can use it in the masks she makes.

When I go out in public I wear a home-made mask that I wash after using. I did order some of those masks from Disney with the intention of giving most away to friends and neighbors (proceeds go to medical charities or something like that - may be that they donate masks for every so many they sell. Can't remember).
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    LOL!! I'm being very judicious with my masks. They are vital to me being able to work around the farm esp. this time of year with all the dust and pollen. Without them my sinuses rebel something fierce. I use one mask about every 10 days depending on how dirty they get, sometimes they don't last as long as others. I have been saving the elastic so that my friend can use it in the masks she makes.

When I go out in public I wear a home-made mask that I wash after using. I did order some of those masks from Disney with the intention of giving most away to friends and neighbors (proceeds go to medical charities or something like that - may be that they donate masks for every so many they sell. Can't remember).
    Pro tip for dust: filters generally don't get clogged by the fine particles but by the big stuff, so if you can stand having one of the homemade masks (or anything, really) over it as a pre-filter you should get more days out of the N95.

I'm good KQ. TGR provides.

A cover to conceal is a good idea. Don't Tread On Me bandana?
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Has this been posted yet? Some pretty interesting stuff

...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

That makes 5 times I've eagerly started that video only only to start gagging uncontrollably in response to that fucked up song.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    So, anything up with the virus?
    Looks like this:

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    Has this been posted yet? Some pretty interesting stuff

Dr. Astley's work spreading with a doubling rate of about 8 hours. No word on R0.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Dr. Astley's work spreading with a doubling rate of about 8 hours. No word on R0.
    The man is dedicated. Fair to assume he's not giving up til the vaccine is found.

And never gonna let you down

The funny thing about being rickrolled is that you often expect it, but then start second guessing yourself, and then you click.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    The funny thing about being rickrolled is that you often expect it, but then start second guessing yourself, and then you click.
    Just don’t meatspin me.
    That’s just wrong.
    . . .

been wishing there was a Calamari "can't i sign a waiver" covid version of this!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

Gloves I have are 8 mil and I can toss them in the washing machine with detergent and bleach and they'll take 1-3 washes.
    Definitely gas pumps should have hand sanitizer dispensers right there.

During the height of aids in SF, I remember reading about a woman surgeon who was apparently the first to wear a face shield during surgery. She explained how getting sprayed in the eyes with aids-tainted blood would infect her and some in the medical community thought she was over the top with her precautions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    That's the minimum infectious dose settling in.

Summit posting that guy's face raised infectiousness. Then I realized most of my family was equally susceptible. Whatever R0 is, I don't think it falls until a lot more people are exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    Gold.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

So I think it's time to start discussing criminal penalties for transmitting this thing. Obviously those would include penalties for employers who force workers to deal with unsafe conditions (lack of PPE, social distancing, paid sick leave, etc). Let's get out ahead of that this time, unlike HIV.

You won't see widespread compliance with mask wearing order unless there are serious penalties.

Yeah, the Hitler/GA skit hilarious.