Page 826 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 ... LastLast
Results 20,626 to 20,650 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    My take is mild disease is probably confined to the Upper Resp tract, lower inoculums, and underlying innate immunity.
    Engrish por favor.

The University of Virginia is changing its athletics logo over links to slavery

New:

The previous design featured two crossed sabres with serpentine handles, a reference to curved walls on the UVA campus originally built to isolate enslaved people from the university community.

"After the release of our new logos on April 24th, I was made aware of the negative connotation between the serpentine walls and slavery," Williams said in a statement. "I was not previously aware of the historical perspective indicating the original eight-foot-high walls were constructed to mask the institution of slavery and enslaved laborers from public view."

Old:

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

^^^Paging ::: :::

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    The University of Virginia is changing its athletics logo over links to slavery

New:

The previous design featured two crossed sabres with serpentine handles, a reference to curved walls on the UVA campus originally built to isolate enslaved people from the university community.

"After the release of our new logos on April 24th, I was made aware of the negative connotation between the serpentine walls and slavery," Williams said in a statement. "I was not previously aware of the historical perspective indicating the original eight-foot-high walls were constructed to mask the institution of slavery and enslaved laborers from public view."

Old:

Are they kidding? Other than the color scheme they are virtually identical.

edit: after reading the entire article I see the sabre handle was the issue, so that's all that was changed. Well it's hard to believe anyone would be real offended by that minor of a change (although I'm sure some will claim to be).

Also what does this have to do with COVID-19?

Just speculation on my part. But if the virus only colonizes the nose/throat and doesn't get to the lungs, disease will be mild vs. severe. The last two- how big of an exposure is initally received, and general immune fitness to respond to it in hours not days, hold true for alomst all infectious diseases.

Pictures are much better than my typing.

Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    ^^^Paging ::: :::
    yep, saw that
    not sure anyone knew that was even there

this otoh is a little better regarding reparations:
    https://news.virginia.edu/content/bi...laved-laborers
    https://news.virginia.edu/content/pr...ilds-community

god knows uva has a history

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Are they kidding? Other than the color scheme they are virtually identical.

edit: after reading the entire article I see the sabre handle was the issue, so that's all that was changed. Well it's hard to believe anyone would be real offended by that minor of a change (although I'm sure some will claim to be).

Also what does this have to do with COVID-19?
    Nothing - wrong thread. Shall I move? Yes... Yes I will..... Guess I was conflating.....
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Cali and Texass with over 3k new cases today. Florida not far behind.

Talked with a buddy who is a bartender here in town. Been there 15+ years, popular place before the Covid.

He is working 3 days a week but its now the Virus economy and they are operating under phase 2 restrictions. 75% open, SD, staff wearing masks (not required).

Where he used to average $ 275.00+ a shift, lucky to pull in $ 120.00 and for a longer shift, (open to close because of reduced hours).

Worse is the tourists that have been his guests. The folks that he says are traveling are predominately the kind who think this is overblown, the flu, a hoax, and not shy about expressing that and trying to provoke a conversation, especially about masks and why he is wearing one. Or politics.

He has been working other gigs to fill the gap like mowing lawns. Says that is much more pleasant.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Some of the restaurant owners here in CB have been reporting they are up 40% this June compared to last June, despite the capacity restrictions. But this time last year there was snow everywhere and I was loving the skiing, but the trails were mostly buried. This year, people are hiking and biking all over the place, therefore more people than last year, strangely enough. I'm sure those numbers will flip in July.
    Last edited by goldenboy; 06-17-2020 at 05:44 PM.

Extroverts are gonna kill us all.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...out-at-lynchs/

Quote Originally Posted by getoutside View Post
    curious if anyone has heard any updates on the status of PPE across the nation? you would like to think at this point, with all the resources and now time we've had, that healthcare professionals would have all the PPE they would need and more but my guess is that is not the case at all. certainly hope we are getting close to be able to support the front line workers who put themselves in danger each and every day.
    There will be enough PPE when the general public can get enough N95's to have a fresh one for every day they go to work, shop, or go out.

Do people even listen to themselves? Don't bother answering because it's a big "no."

Watching BBC World News America and they are interviewing a councilman from Montgomery Alabama who proposed to his fellow councilmen that they need to mandate wearing a mask. One of the councilmen said "mandating what people have to wear is overreach." Really? Do you not have laws about nudity? Idiot.

Love that councilman Calhoon cited the "no shirt, no shoes, no service" mandate that is posted in many businesses as a reason to add masks to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    The place is called "Lynch's?!!!" Sounds like this is a cross post.

If you're looking for masks n shit this is a pretty good site.

https://medidentsupplies.com/

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    If you're looking for masks n shit this is a pretty good site.

https://medidentsupplies.com/
    bullshit unsized chinese KN-95s at $3/ea which is a couple times what a proper N-95 should cost

droplet masks being sold at 10x precovid prices
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Talked with a buddy who is a bartender here in town. Been there 15+ years, popular place before the Covid.

He is working 3 days a week but its now the Virus economy and they are operating under phase 2 restrictions. 75% open, SD, staff wearing masks (not required).

Where he used to average $ 275.00+ a shift, lucky to pull in $ 120.00 and for a longer shift, (open to close because of reduced hours).

Worse is the tourists that have been his guests. The folks that he says are traveling are predominately the kind who think this is overblown, the flu, a hoax, and not shy about expressing that and trying to provoke a conversation, especially about masks and why he is wearing one. Or politics.

He has been working other gigs to fill the gap like mowing lawns. Says that is much more pleasant.
    We have a lot more visitors than I imagined we would have at this point, so safe to say this early in the game that those traveling to visit are of the DGAF segment. Some at least carry a mask while walking around for the stores I am guessing.
    Hope they are spending money.

W2 would be eligible for Phase 3 today were it not for a rise in cases and people on community FB pages are actually bitching about the city having courted tourists when we went to Phase2. More people than not calling for everyone to wear masks and play by the rules so we can move foreward. Wow. How refreshing.

You can’t have your cake, and Edith too. Or so I have been told.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    You can’t have your cake, and Edith too. Or so I have been told.
    Oh but Edith got her cake in the end!

if you're a DA fan starting this Friday PBS is having a binge-a-thon of the entire series before they retire it.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    There will be enough PPE when the general public can get enough N95's to have a fresh one for every day they go to work, shop, or go out.
    Agreed.

Say, is there a problem wearing the same one over and over? The N95's primary purpose is to filter dust... Since I don't have a dusty job, it ought to work fine for more than one shift. I've got several weeks on a 2 year-old N95 left over from wildfire smoke days. I can see that when used in the normal work environment where a PPE is required, all instructions ought to be followed. However, for a non-healthcare worker looking to reduce covids, I can't see the harm in reusing any kind of mask. I also use the same surgical mask a friend gave me in March. Surgical mask for walking around, N95 for entering buildings where I think there may be tards, um I mean freedumb fighters.

Since I am not taking off my beard, a n-95 mask would do little difference for me, no gain over a simple mask.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Agreed.

Say, is there a problem wearing the same one over and over? The N95's primary purpose is to filter dust... Since I don't have a dusty job, it ought to work fine for more than one shift. I've got several weeks on a 2 year-old N95 left over from wildfire smoke days. I can see that when used in the normal work environment where a PPE is required, all instructions ought to be followed. However, for a non-healthcare worker looking to reduce covids, I can't see the harm in reusing any kind of mask. I also use the same surgical mask a friend gave me in March. Surgical mask for walking around, N95 for entering buildings where I think there may be tards, um I mean freedumb fighters.
    my understanding is that the filtering layer breaks down--no longer keeps out virus size particles. I don't know that for a fact. Main thing is--they get grody. I've been wearing the same one for 3 months--but for maybe an hour/week. It's old old--the elastic is pretty shot. I doubt it is functioning as an N95 any more but probably still better than a surgical mask and definitely better than cloth.

We'll all need cloth if we want to ski with a mask--at least for the lifts. The paper masks won't hold up well in the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    bullshit unsized chinese KN-95s at $3/ea which is a couple times what a proper N-95 should cost

droplet masks being sold at 10x precovid prices
    Whatever, they aren't easy to find where I live.

Finaly able to find some around here and they are 5$ each

I think we will see mandatory mask laws of some sort
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know