Page 1499 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1494 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 ... LastLast
Results 37,451 to 37,475 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but you don't need a negative test to travel to Mexico.... only to return to the US.
    And actually, only if you fly (we had been considering a holidays road trip including a few days over the border to San Felipe; no Covid test restrictions unless that got changed very recently).

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Once I'm through this I am going to want to take a trip. I've heard that you can test positive on a pcr for up to three months after you're been sick though - is there truth to that?

So has anyone been to Mexico yet and are pcr tests available for people that want to travel home? Getting stuck in Mexico because I am still testing positive or because tests aren't available would be no bueno, but I couldn't blame them for saving tests for sick people instead of gringos.

Finally, for all the whinging here about "WhY DoN'T PoSiTiVe tEsTs cOuNt?", I just looked at ArriveCan and had we gone through the medical system to get tested instead of the 'at-home', we would be exempt from all testing requirements for international travel for six months. That straw horse sure took a beating.

It's tempting to go get it done now, but I think it would also extend our quarantine to be "in the system".

Lastly, I am pretty sure we have Delta and not Omicron. 6 days in (longer than Omicron) and we have no taste or smell (not typically associated with Omicron). So, just because the cases are 90% one variant it doesn't mean you can't get another flavor. I also need to recalibrate my moral judgement of people who get sick. In my heart of hearts, I blamed the unvaxxed, the 20-something party kids, and the political rally type for a lot of this shit. And maybe it's true, but you can still follow all of the rules and best practices and covid is still gonna come get ya.

fuck covid.
    Last December i got COVID and i tested positive for 4 weeks, which delayed my flight to France. Same thing for my wife and two kids, all withina day or two of the 4 week timeframe

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    This is a less fun update than your "can we make it across Chicago for a flight" thread.

Jono had an interesting thought in one of the covid threads months ago, comparing how we judge people caught in avalanches and people who caught covid. In both cases saying oh we wouldn't be there or be doing X, I thought it was worth exploring a bit more.
    You're so right. I see this with avalanches.
    People want all details, so at the end they say, ah, that's why he got caught, and i will be ok because i don't do this.

When in reality, a lot has to do with chance. But if you accept this, then you have to accept that you might die in an avalanche, and that's pretty hard to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    You're so right. I see this with avalanches.
    People want all details, so at the end they say, ah, that's why he got caught, and i will be ok because i don't do this.

When in reality, a lot has to do with chance. But if you accept this, then you have to accept that you might die in an avalanche, and that's pretty hard to deal with.

Would folks here be arguing over the (mostly imaginary) downsides of a vaccine that makes it 95% sure you won't die if you are caught in an avalanche?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Would folks here be arguing over the (mostly imaginary) downsides of a vaccine that makes it 95% sure you won't die if you are caught in an avalanche?
    line me up

i take a booster every autumn

I’ll do my own research. Thank you very much.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I’ll do my own research. Thank you very much.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    how can snow be heavy? I just picked it up outside. I think avalanches are bullshit. LOL
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

If you inject bleach into your veins, you won't die in an avalanche.

Covid ripped through employee housing vail said get back to work it's the crud half the restaurant bar workers now have it biggest gaper fest in summit County history right now WINNING

Thanks everyone, I think I'll try to get into the clinic. With a recovery (let's hope!) documented, it will buy a lot of peace of mind with the tickets and travel, even if standing on line for an hour sounds like a fucking disaster right now. At least I can't catch covid while I have it! I'll just bring the longboards to ensure that everyone stays 200cm away. I'll seriously have to give the line and situation a look though, waiting outside distanced sounds ok, but I would hate to be packed in with people and actually pass this on. Fuck.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    I think avalanches are bullshit
    It's just sluff!

Do a drive through if you have a car for your testing.
    Or order a test kit for home.
    I did one last night with a doctor watching on my phone.
    Easy and stress free.
    For travel all the International Airports have 1 hour testing now.
    We flew in from Panama last week and the test was $50 per person.
    Go on your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Covid ripped through employee housing vail said get back to work it's the crud half the restaurant bar workers now have it biggest gaper fest in summit County history right now WINNING
    At least it wasn't an avalanche that ripped through employee housing.

Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    Do a drive through if you have a car for your testing.
    Or order a test kit for home.
    I did one last night with a doctor watching on my phone.
    Easy and stress free.
    For travel all the International Airports have 1 hour testing now.
    We flew in from Panama last week and the test was $50 per person.
    Go on your trip.
    Great advice, as long as the return test is negative.

Chance of death in an avalanche is 1/10,000,000 per year in the US (which includes all the people who never go near a snow slope, backcountry or not, hey let's have fun with antivaxxer logic here). And that's without horse paste. Hells yeeeeah, let's go ski a Tahoe powder gulley right now!!

On a more serious note, we (and all other attendees) all got quick-tested (negative) day before extended family Xmas get-together (and I'm pretty sure all the non-kids were vaxxed as well); now my wife's coughing & teen kid has a sore throat, so they're lined up for an official test Wednesday morning. Probably bronchitis or whatever, but still... oy.
    Last edited by bobz; 12-27-2021 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    At least it wasn't an avalanche that ripped through employee housing.

Great advice, as long as the return test is negative.
    I always look forward to reading your posts Old Goat 🐐
    You bring an abundance of knowledge to this place .

Our trip has been planned since October then they threw that test requirement on us last minute.
    I tried to convince my wife to bring her laptop to work remotely just in case we tested positive.
    It was stressful for sure.
    It's like you need to have a Plan B now just in case you are quarantined out of the country.
    We head to Cabo San Lucas in three weeks and will have a Plan B in place before we leave the states.

Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    It's like you need to have a Plan B now just in case you are quarantined out of the country.
    We head to Cabo San Lucas in three weeks and will have a Plan B in place before we leave the states.
    Plan B; medical extraction insurance.

https://www.globalrescue.com/lp/trav...QaAtmvEALw_wcB
    "You're young and you got your health, what do you want with a job?"

If one has to travel I think that with 3 shots and a good mask the risk is acceptable. I recently flew to MN, when it was the hot spot of the country with no one wearing masks, when my sister in law died suddenly. But for pleasure travel I would that find the repeated testing and the possibility of being stranded by a positive test eliminates the pleasure. Less anxious people would differ. I find travel stressful in the best of times, although not enough to not do it.

Another point about traveling or doing just about anything anywhere is this. I'd suspect there's LOT'S of folks who just say fk it after testing positive or not even testing when legit symptomatic who travel/work/play/shop/etc anyway if they're not feeling all that bad. Folks were doing that all along, but now with the vax available even the CDC's now saying 5 days then wear a good mask out and about.
    Some people are incredibly selfish and just DGAF. If they're not willing to wear a mask at the grocery store and even make a fuss about it on a plane or bus doe anyone think these folks will stay home if they're not totally knocked down while infected?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

What's the logic of making US citizens have a negative PCR test before flying home from their international destination, but not requiring a negative test to fly to the international destination or when flying domestically? A person is more likely to get Omicron in NY than they are in Mexico right now. Seems like border closure nonsense perpetuating a false idea that you can somehow keep Omicron out of the US and that foreigners are tainted.

There is an exemption to the negative test requirement though; a positive COVID test within 90 days. Bring on the COVID parties. I say that somewhat jokingly but when Omicron will be infecting 40% of the world's population in the next two months (see cite below) maybe COVID parties isn't such a bad thing today.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/12/27/...-bad-to-worse/

The travel bans and testing requirements don't make a lot of sense. In retrospect they never did. Original Covid was in the US before anyone knew it existed. For that matter, contact tracing, which works for things like STDs, is pretty much useless in a pandemic like covid, with so many potential sources of infection available to each person. Of course the travel bans and quarantines, both international and domestic, have been political.

A lot of conventional disease control practices have been thwarted by Covid's unusually long asymptomatic transmissible phase. They may still work with future pandemics, but who knows.

As far as covid parties, even if everyone eventually gets it, everyone getting it at once is probably a bad idea.

My flight LGA->DEN departing as scheduled.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Even though I’ll be flying out of Newark later this week, that’s reassuring to hear!

Another point about traveling or doing just about anything anywhere is this. I'd suspect there's LOT'S of folks who just say fk it after testing positive or not even testing when legit symptomatic who travel/work/play/shop/etc anyway if they're not feeling all that bad. Folks were doing that all along, but now with the vax available even the CDC's now saying 5 days then wear a good mask out and about.
    Some people are incredibly selfish and just DGAF. If they're not willing to wear a mask at the grocery store and even make a fuss about it on a plane or bus doe anyone think these folks will stay home if they're not totally knocked down while infected?
    Just went through this with my in laws.

They visited my sister and brother in law, BiL tests positive on the 24th. No isolation or anything. Then my SiL tests positive on the 26th. Still no isolation.

They flew home yesterday despite protests from their kids that they should stay put. Worried about their flights was one reason. Bullshit were the others

They tested negative on a rapid test yesterday but their last exposure was yesterday morning.

And now they are wondering why we won't visit them.

Fucking bourgeois boomers.

So yeah. I'd avoid flying for leisure for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Are you hopping another flight, or driving from Denver? If driving let me know if you want to get a socially distanced beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Are you hopping another flight, or driving from Denver? If driving let me know if you want to get a socially distanced beer.
    Aw, thanks - but catching a flight to ABQ an hour after landing.

Next time.