Page 1328 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 ... LastLast
Results 33,176 to 33,200 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    mRNA vaccines are used in veterinary medicine, so there is that. The basic immune and protein synthetic mechanisms are the same as in humans.
    is it possible that tinkering with the protein synthesis mechanism of human cells could have unforeseen consequences? Of course. Pretty much everything in medicine has unforeseen consequences. The question is--is the risk worth it? I think the answer is obviously yes.
    And BTW the Covid vaccines aren't overnight successes--the work started with SARS, or maybe sooner--I don't know the whole history--so that's nearly 20 years ago. The big breakthrough came years ago when they figured out how to modify mRNA to create a stable version of the spike protein. When new vaccines are developed most of the time is spent in figuring out how generate antibody responses in cell cultures, then animals, then conducting clinical trials looking first at safety, then optimal dosing schedules, then doing phase 3 trials for non pandemic diseases that take a long time for enough people to get sick from less common diseases in order to generate valid results. In the case of Covid 19 the first steps went quickly not because of being rushed but because of the sophistication of gene sequencing, biosynthesis and the like compared to past decades. The part that was rushed, perhaps, was investigating alternate dosing and less rigorous cold transport regimens, which is why now we're debating one dose or two, full dose or half dose. (Note the Astra Zenica trial where some volunteers got a half dose by accident and seemed to do better than the full dose subjects.) The phase 3 trials were fast because--it's a pandemic. No shortage of people getting sick.

They told me in med school all the biochemistry would be useful my daily practice. This is the first time in nearly 50 years that I've had to think about it.
    I appreciated that - esp. the perspective. Thanks.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Same. Thanks goat.

Welcome. I hope I got it close to right or if not Mofro or someone else will straighten me out.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Thought I heard somewhere that there's now an oxygen shortage happening.
    Serially considering having a tank delivered in case I got this shit.
    That's about all you can do other than eat aspirin and pepcid for home care from what I've heard.
    Just buy an oxygen concentrator with a nasal cannula.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Tested negative. Stoked. I am blown away that, given the level of exposure I got, I apparently don't have it.

I'm gonna get an antibody test.
    That's awesome, splat!

The idea of EMS working an arrest on scene until ROSC (return of spontaneous circulation) otherwise terminating care at scene is considered progressive standard of care that leads to better outcomes with few exceptions. LA EMS protocols already call for working cardiac arrest on scene vs transporting to hospital while in arrest. Exceptions are unusual (e.g., hypothermic arrest/cold water drowning).

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...stract/2770622
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK541113/
    https://file.lacounty.gov/SDSInter/d...2018-05-30.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    Just buy an oxygen concentrator with a nasal cannula.
    I just listed mine on craigslist in california for three grand I'll probably shit the bed without it but 3 grand is 3 grand

Just get two funnels and stick the small ends in your nostrils. Same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    The idea of EMS working an arrest on scene until ROSC (return of spontaneous circulation) otherwise terminating care at scene is considered progressive standard of care that leads to better outcomes with few exceptions. LA EMS protocols already call for working cardiac arrest on scene vs transporting to hospital while in arrest. Exceptions are unusual (e.g., hypothermic arrest/cold water drowning).

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...stract/2770622
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK541113/
    https://file.lacounty.gov/SDSInter/d...2018-05-30.pdf
    Thanks for clarifying that. The ambulance policy is generating a lot of unjustified hysteria in the media. (There's enough justified hysteria, we don't need the unjustified kind.) No reason to bring dead people to the hospital.

Just went to my first Covid funeral today....Family only inside the church, everyone else sat in their cars and listened over the radio....Retired firefighter who I worked with years ago. 58 years old. Spent 21 days in the ICU, the last ten on a vent and never came back...Fucking brutal. RIP GS, you will be missed......
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Apparently with transit ratfucked, and wfh, and outdoor restaurants, parking in nyc has gone from difficult to impossible.
    This reminds me of the novel London Fields by Martin Amis. Has anyone else read it? Everyone is more or less prepped for the end of the world and start double, triple parking or just leaving their car in the middle of the road. Sort of prescient on Amis' part.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    This reminds me of the novel London Fields by Martin Amis. Has anyone else read it? Everyone is more or less prepped for the end of the world and start double, triple parking or just leaving their car in the middle of the road. Sort of prescient on Amis' part.
    My avatar should answer your question

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    I just listed mine on craigslist in california for three grand I'll probably shit the bed without it but 3 grand is 3 grand
    Uh, ok fred. I'm assuming you're being funny, but if anyone wants one you can get them for under $500.

https://oxygensolve.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    Uh, ok fred. I'm assuming you're being funny, but if anyone wants one you can get them for under $500.

https://oxygensolve.com/
    just here for the laughs fuck being serious about anything in life whats the point
    but yeah mine cost me a grand it's a cadillac don't go cheap on oxgen wthout it you die you know 60 ft of hose so I can walk around my house and shit
    I like puttin it on 5 liters and going over to the fire and stoking the fire it's like smoking in bed with oxgen

Here we are 14 days from xmas and my county just reported 171 new cases as a result. That's an all time record for us. After 10 months to figure this shit out.

Goddamnit, Americans are stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Attachment 356619

Attachment 356620

Attachment 356622

from the trenches of battling covid
    I read back two pages and didn't see this brought it up...if it was further back my apologies, because the thread was discussing this, so it probably was already...but

Healthcare workers on the front line are seeing the truth of who COVID is killing, etc., and yet it appears there is a pretty huge chunk of healthcare workers declining the vaccine. A bunch of article in the news about it today. There just seems to be more to all this then what one would think in a deadly pandemic.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

It took 25 days from first symptoms to when i for a negative crp test.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Friend's sister died yesterday. She had some kind of autoimmune disease and a number of underlying health problems, but the proximal cause of death was COVID-caused pneumonia.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Friend's sister died yesterday. She had some kind of autoimmune disease and a number of underlying health problems, but the proximal cause of death was COVID-caused pneumonia.
    Vibes to your friend

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    I read back two pages and didn't see this brought it up...if it was further back my apologies, because the thread was discussing this, so it probably was already...but

Healthcare workers on the front line are seeing the truth of who COVID is killing, etc., and yet it appears there is a pretty huge chunk of healthcare workers declining the vaccine. A bunch of article in the news about it today. There just seems to be more to all this then what one would think in a deadly pandemic.
    see https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...11#post6189311
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Vibes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post

There's a thought virus going around too... widespread infections, immune system unable to clear it.

This is encouraging about long term immunity:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...3a1_story.html

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Sorry about your friend Dan.

I like the sounds of that study. I feel fine again, but how long does this no taste thing last?