Page 1071 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 ... LastLast
Results 26,751 to 26,775 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Oy!

So riddle me this: If, and that's a big IF, everyone had started donning masks in Feburary/March coupled with SD, hand washing etc. etc. could we have beaten this thing back to a point where we wouldn't have had to shut down businesses? Cut back on indoor dining, sure but not have had to cut back as drastically as we did.

And here's another question: Why wasn't wearing masks etc. seen as making necessary sacrafices for the good of the county? Why didn't people rally like they did in WWII? People were willing to make sacrafices for their fellow man and country. They understood the bigger picture. Why didn't that happen with Covid?
    it shows weakness ?

we still had to shut down up here but the deaths per million are way less then down thar

all kinds of people some repeat customers are calling me to drive their trucks on river shuttles and I told them all I'm taking the year off SO I must have got smart in my old age cuz I resisted the chance for a little easy pocket cash AND covid showed up in a gig I would have been driving SO I would be and my quarantining and my knee surgery at month end would have got seriously fucked with
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by IrieIbex View Post
    this changed my life. I’ve never seen that before. Must.watch.Heavy.Metal.
    Seriously??? Never???

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    where did you grow up that didnt have stoner midnight movies?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    It is well past time for another mass extinction.
    We're in one.

Ya never. I was born a decade plus later. Not really an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    We're in one.
    Lol. If only. When like 99.994% of the population is left over by the end of this one, I wouldn't quite call it an extinction level event. Pretty sure the world's still experiencing net population growth actually. By that metric, I don't think humanity's going anywhere for a while.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

I know that spoonfeeding baby mush to a shitbird is a thankless task, but I just cannot resist:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_extinction

I'm starting to think MF is actually a bot.

Quote Originally Posted by Choss Jonger, Sr. View Post
    I know that spoonfeeding baby mush to a shitbird is a thankless task, but I just cannot resist:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_extinction
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I'm starting to think MF is actually a bot.
    Bots can do math, though. There's a certain similarity to the discussion of our sitting president up thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Bots can do math, though. There's a certain similarity to the discussion of our sitting president up thread.

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Yesterday at work we reached the crescendo of a huge project, and the next several weeks are projected to be several flavors of organized chaos. Today, we have three (and counting?) positive cases at one of our newly acquired offices. Timing couldn’t be worse, and as we sort through this it’s becoming obvious that they forgot we were in the midst of a pandemic, peak lunacy being a large group of staff from a couple of the newly acquired offices meeting at the bar Friday night for drinks.

In some ways, at least this should drive home the point that the inconvenience of masks and social distancing and everything else helps prevent events that start to cost real money. That doesn’t help the fact that we had business units who relied on that staff and that office in a critical way tomorrow morning and there’s no way that office is open tomorrow.

And here I was hoping for a day off between storms. What a mess....
    focus.

Good luck^^!

Here’s a Twitter post from the main anti-mask agitator in my area. This post was removed, but not sure by whom. This guy is one of the organizers of the statewide anti-mask rallies, he’s been the statewide spokesman for a least one regressive state proposition, he pushes hard to open all businesses and schools regardless of covid infections, he held a rally/press conference this summer in a HS parking lot with “covid is a hoax” sign behind him, he misleads local businesses to open regardless of state and local covid health codes resulting in several paying hefty fines, he’s extremely manipulative, he’s physically bullied City and county councils and supervisors in the Bay Area and has been physically removed from meetings by LE, and he’s an organizer for anti-BLM rallies. He’s apparently on the local congressman’s payroll with an attorney as a payment pass-through. He’s the epitome of politicizing covid (among many other things)
    Name:  IMG_4007.JPG
Views: 1247
Size:  29.9 KB

Had a thought today while on a long hill climb.

Everyone needs to start wearing cheap cologne.

If I can smell you, you are too fucking close.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    if you was to replace cheap cologne
    with the dank kgb
    would be mo better
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Good luck^^!

Here’s a Twitter post from the main anti-mask agitator in my area. This post was removed, but not sure by whom. This guy is one of the organizers of the statewide anti-mask rallies, he’s been the statewide spokesman for a least one regressive state proposition, he pushes hard to open all businesses and schools regardless of covid infections, he held a rally/press conference this summer in a HS parking lot with “covid is a hoax” sign behind him, he misleads local businesses to open regardless of state and local covid health codes resulting in several paying hefty fines, he’s extremely manipulative, he’s physically bullied City and county councils and supervisors in the Bay Area and has been physically removed from meetings by LE, and he’s an organizer for anti-BLM rallies. He’s apparently on the local congressman’s payroll with an attorney as a payment pass-through. He’s the epitome of politicizing covid (among many other things)
    If there really was a deity, this A-hole would have died a slow, agonizing covid death by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Had a thought today while on a long hill climb.

Everyone needs to start wearing cheap cologne.

If I can smell you, you are too fucking close.
    Unless you have COVID.
    focus.

If I can smell detergent you are too close.

Really? You don't say. Who would've thought a respiratory illness could be spread through the air when people breath? Huh.

Updated CDC guidance acknowledges coronavirus can spread through the air

(CNN)The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention updated guidance on its website to say coronavirus can commonly spread "through respiratory droplets or small particles, such as those in aerosols," which are produced even when a person breathes.

"Airborne viruses, including COVID-19, are among the most contagious and easily spread," the site now says.
    Previously, the CDC page said that Covid-19 was thought to spread mainly between people in close contact -- about 6 feet -- and "through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes or talks."
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Good luck^^!

She might be in hell--with a pitchfork in charge of tormenting the assholes, because I don't think she plans to rest in the afterlife--"God, give me something to do besides playing the harp." (Not that I believe in the afterlife.) So Eric might be running into her.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    She might be in hell--with a pitchfork in charge of tormenting the assholes, because I don't think she plans to rest in the afterlife--"God, give me something to do besides playing the harp." (Not that I believe in the afterlife.) So Eric might be running into her.
    There’s a good chance you and I will see him on our ballet after one of the dahle’s moves on.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Really? You don't say. Who would've thought a respiratory illness could be spread through the air when people breath? Huh.
    Thanks for posting. It’s about fucking time!

From the cdc page
    “It is possible that COVID-19 may spread through the droplets and airborne particles that are formed when a person who has COVID-19 coughs, sneezes, sings, talks, or breathes. There is growing evidence that droplets and airborne particles can remain suspended in the air and be breathed in by others, and travel distances beyond 6 feet (for example, during choir practice, in restaurants, or in fitness classes). In general, indoor environments without good ventilation increase this risk.”

There’s a good chance you and I will see him on our ballet after one of the dahle’s moves on.
    I googled. Sounds like a real peach. It will be a pleasure to vote for anyone running against him, although not as much a pleasure as voting against Tom McClintock. (I content myself with small pleasures these days.)

Opinion piece on Mexico

Neoliberal obesity and coronavirus in Mexico

American capital brought high rates of chronic disease to Mexico which has led to a surging COVID-19 death toll.

19 Sept 2020
    In much of Mexico it sometimes seems impossible to take a step without tripping over Coca-Cola advertisements or similar propaganda, writes Fernandez
    In August, the southern Mexican state of Oaxaca banned the sale of junk food and sugary drinks to children under the age of 18.

Mexico's Assistant Health Secretary Hugo Lopez-Gatell, who has denounced soda as "bottled poison", expressed support for the new law, which has begun to catch on in other Mexican states as well.

Lopez-Gatell is also the government's coronavirus tsar, and early on highlighted the role of the country's "epidemic" of diabetes and obesity in exacerbating the coronavirus pandemic. Mexico has reportedly recorded more than 70,000 COVID-19 related deaths to date - although the actual toll is likely much higher.

In recent years, Mexico has vied with the US for the title of most obese nation on earth - three-fourths of adults there are overweight, and at least one in 10 have diabetes.

Oaxaca, one of the poorest Mexican states, has among the highest obesity levels and the highest child obesity rate in the country.

I have been in Oaxaca since March, and can confirm that - as is the case in much of Mexico - it sometimes seems impossible to take a step without tripping over Coca-Cola advertisements or similar propaganda.

Indeed, Mexicans drink more soda per capita than any other country in the world, and former Mexican President Vicente Fox was once the CEO of Coca-Cola Mexico. In 2017, diabetes became the nation's number one killer.

How, then, did Mexico end up in such a deadly position?

To answer this question, a good place to start is the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) between the US, Canada, and Mexico, which came into effect in 1994 - and was recently repackaged as something-way-better-than-NAFTA under the auspices of resident continental megalomaniac Donald Trump.

Behind the ever-convenient facade of "free trade" - which in contexts involving the US generally means the US is free to do as it pleases while the rest of the participating countries are free to suck it up - NAFTA enabled the US to flood the Mexican market with sugary drinks, processed foods, and other staples of noxious, corporate-driven existence.

American fast food chains and convenience stores rapidly proliferated, and, as the New York Times noted in a report headlined A Nasty, NAFTA-Related Surprise: Mexico's Soaring Obesity, Walmart was the country's largest food retailer as of 2017. This in a country whose traditional cuisine appears on UNESCO's Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.

To be sure, one of NAFTA's crowning achievements was the exposure of sectors of the Mexican economy to conquest by US capital, as with the dismantling of restrictions on foreign majority ownership in Mexican businesses.

A 2016 paper in the Washington University Journal of Law & Policy argues that NAFTA-facilitated foreign direct investment by the US in Mexico has been the "most direct contributor to the spread of non-communicable diseases" like obesity in that country.

Direct US investment in Mexican food and beverage firms soared by the billions on account of the 1994 deal, exerting additional toxic influence on Mexican consumer choices - which do not really qualify as "choices" when, for example, Coca-Cola is just as cheap and often more readily available than water.

The paper, which also discusses global trends of "McDonaldisation" and "Coca-Colonisation," cites the calculation that post-NAFTA US exports to Mexico of high-fructose corn syrup - a high-calorie sweetener used in sodas and other products and linked to obesity - were thus far "up by a factor of 863".

NAFTA furthermore provided imperial entities with a legal apparatus to adjudicate on behalf of hypocrisy, as when US agribusiness company Cargill Inc successfully sued the Mexican government after Mexico attempted to tax the production and sale of high-fructose corn syrup-enriched soft drinks.

The US, for its part, was permitted to blissfully subsidise overproduction in its own corn industry - not to mention its meat industry, soy industry, and so on - leading, less than shockingly, to an export-based devastation of domestic Mexican production.

So much for "free trade".

In the end, anyway, the function of US-led neoliberal globalisation is to destroy not only cuisines and cultures but also lives and livelihoods. By unleashing its industrialised agricultural system against Mexico, the US drove to ruin and displacement millions of Mexican farmers, who were unable to compete in the hostile environment.

Many had to migrate to cities, where they increasingly subsisted on processed food rather than pursuing a traditional local diet, both due to economic constraints and the fact that - surprise surprise - much of the good stuff was being exported to the US, which in the wake of NAFTA found itself on the receiving end of a year-long influx of fresh fruits and vegetables grown in the warmer climes of the southern neighbour.

Loads of Mexicans have also been compelled to travel north to the US itself in search of financial salvation - often as "illegal" labourers, since avocados happen to have more rights than certain categories of humans in terms of crossing the US-Mexico border.

Naturally, Mexico is not the only place to have been put on a poisonous neoliberal diet. The New York Times writes: "Research shows free trade is among the key factors that have accelerated the spread of low-nutrient, highly processed foods from the West, 'driving the obesity epidemic in China, India, and other developing countries worldwide,' according to the TH Chan School of Public Health at Harvard."

And there are plenty of related capitalist machinations adversely affecting global nutrition. The documentary Couscous: Seeds of Dignity, by Tunisian geographer and academic Habib Ayeb, for instance, shows how lucrative export crops are cultivated in Tunisia to the detriment of the masses and the enrichment of the few.

In the film, Tunisian farmers describe how local seed varieties were superseded by inferior imported varieties, contributing to a landscape of agricultural neocolonialism and an assault on food sovereignty. One of the documentary's protagonists - named, as irony would have it, Eisenhower - rails against the chemical products "that we import [that] have killed the soil", and the West's efforts to "kill our agriculture".

In 2018, meanwhile, then-Director General of the United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) Jose Graziano da Silva spoke of the globalised food system's key role in the "global pandemic of obesity", which he said should be combatted via various initiatives including restrictions on junk food advertisements aimed at children.

Which brings us back to that other pandemic called coronavirus - and to Oaxaca's new junk food ban.

And what do you know: One of the reasons the US junk food industry has so aggressively targeted Mexico is because - while US companies certainly are not going hungry on the domestic scene - US restrictions on food advertisements for children means that "corporations look around the world to see where the legal framework still allows them to market to children, and they double down".

This last quote is from Alyshia Galvez, author of Eating NAFTA: Trade, Food Policies, and the Destruction of Mexico, who also emphasises that, in Mexico, historically, "you simply do not see diabetes" among people who consume the traditional milpa-based diet. Rather, diabetes is a "product of an industrialised diet".

To be sure, the incidence of diabetes in Mexico shot up after the passage of NAFTA, and - as with coronavirus - the disease disproportionately afflicts the poor.

But while Oaxaca's intentions are undoubtedly noble, it is difficult to imagine how outlawing the provision of junk food to people under the age of 18 by anyone except parents will ameliorate a situation in which many parents are already known to feed their children soda and other unhealthy items on a regular basis - because those items are the affordable ones, and they are shoved down Mexico's throat by imperial marketing schemes.

Enrique Cifuentes, a medical doctor in the Oaxacan village of Zipolite, emphasised to me the importance of recognising people are products of their food environments, and the obesity problem in Mexico can not be reduced to one of a lack of alimentary discipline.

Having just lost nearly 20 kilogrammes himself - an excess weight he attributed to regular patronisation of US fast food establishments - Cifuentes went on to underscore that small shops in Oaxaca would suffer to a far greater extent than the large (often US-backed) chains as a result of the ban, another bit of less-than-uplifting news in the context of a severe coronavirus-induced economic crisis.

For more bleak news, one need look no further than a recent Washington Post dispatch quoting Barry Popkin, an obesity researcher at the School of Public Health at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, on the effects of coronavirus on the global obesity epidemic:

"Covid is accelerating it. We're seeing new lines of junk food introduced, see companies giving out free junk food and calling it disaster relief … It's very stressful, so you go for comfort foods and tasty things. And we expect the recession will take hold and we're going to hit a food-insecure world where people are buying this food because it's cheap."

https://youtu.be/8UvFhIFzaac

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk