Page 302 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 ... LastLast
Results 7,526 to 7,550 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    No thoughts on this? If true, this could save some lives.
    um. NYTimes.com is down. Not reassuring.

edit: back up

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Haven't read the article but loss of smell and taste isn't unique to corona.
    Yes, but it’s unusual enough to notice that something is amiss. A friend of mine said he experienced that when he had West Nile.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Yes, but it’s unusual enough to notice that something is amiss. A friend of mine said he experienced that when he had West Nile.
    "In South Korea, where testing has been more widespread, 30% of patients testing positive have had anosmia as their major presenting symptom in otherwise mild cases,"

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...yposmia-2020-3

Sure, but how do you know it's not because of a common cold or the flu?

No thoughts on this? If true, this could save some lives.

Edit.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/h...8TfB81Tr-4LRRM
    That's cool to know to be aware of, thanks.

You don’t...but it’s a potential major data point.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    It's not quite that hard. But if you've never been fitted and instructed in obtaining a snug fit and also in taking it off without contaminating yourself, are you sure you're doing it right?
    you know more than i, teach us

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Yea, but you know how to wear one. How effective are surgical masks when people continually fiddle with them after putting them on? Over the nose, then after a few minutes under the chin, then back over the nose, then up on the forehead. Sorry, seeing that makes me put huge distance between them and me.
    Even a mask improperly worn is better than no mask at all. Even more reason that the Defense Production Act should have been invoked in January or February by our buffoon of a president.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    It's not quite that hard. But if you've never been fitted and instructed in obtaining a snug fit and also in taking it off without contaminating yourself, are you sure you're doing it right?

You’re right. For people on the front lines, yes, if they are new make sure they know what’s up.

For the masses, as you said in your previous post, cheap plentiful surgical masks are going to keep some shit down out of the air.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Make a tight seal, don’t move it, got it. What else am I missing to figure this mask out that requires many years in school, residency, and hundreds of thousands of dollars?
    The secret handshake.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    I was thinking that last beer was a little bitter and how happy I am to not have a fucking air hose jammed down my throat, I should probably open a porter and start dinner
    being intubated is a pleasurable experience being half awake drugged up and having something jamb down your throat is great the first couple hours you freak the fuck out and constantly bite the rubbery metal tube you beg anyone in the room to remove it with your eyes because your hands are tied to the bed and you can't talk when they finally pull it out you can't believe how long the thing is and you now know what it's like to get throat fucked dry heaves and puking air and water for a couple hours is the afterglow then hours later some hottie nurse so cute and kind slips a hose in your nose and down your throat and you then spend six hours getting your stomach pumped intubation ain't anything like masturbation it's like getting pistol whipped by a big black cock you saw in a mapplethorpe photo I would steer clear of it at all costs

Pretty damn simple:

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    No I’m not sure, but can’t a simple video or phone call with a friend set me straight? Or do I need to go to med school to figure out this puzzle?

Don't go to med school. You'll wind up with the bug for sure. But yeah, if you're halfway physically intelligent I imagine you could do a pretty good job yourself with a video. Conversely there are a lot of medical doctors (not surgeons of course) that I wouldn't trust to wear one properly even after instruction. It's shocking to me how easily a lot of people can screw up a seemingly simple physical task. People with manual skills take them for granted.

There are people here who know a lot more about N95's than I do. I'm just trying to make the point that everyone wearing surgical masks makes more sense, especially in a time of scarcity, than everyone wearing an N95. But I'm not trying to tell people who have N95's not to use them.

This is VERY interesting.
    Supposedly a loss of smell/taste is possibly an early indicator that you might be infected.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/h...ell-taste.html
    Makes sense. A TCM doc treating several Covid19 patients noticed that one of the symptoms was a sticky, gray coating on the tongue.

Name:  5ad242cb-192a-4181-b568-cad3167629f9.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  88.5 KB

https://www.elotus.org/article/medic...67b9-136755105
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Ok wait. Were you both TBS and TBSSUX?
    Cause that’s a straight troll right there.
    Nope TBSsux spawned because he was pissed about my question "What's the difference between a tele chick and a hockey player?"

Again, go ahead and wear a mask. It will probably work well in an urban environment. That's not where I live.

The last time I was indoors other than at home was last Monday at our local ski resort. There were maybe 10 people in a 2500sf room.

Other than lift served (RIP) I don't come into contact (like within 10') with more than one person a week outside my home. That's the guy who brings the groceries out to my vehicle on a cart and watches from like 8' away while I load them. And most of the time my wife does the pickup.

To me the way bigger risk are the folks stocking the grocery shelves. Even if those people had to wear a surgical mask, I have no confidence they will keep their fucking hands off it while they do their jobs, or that they won't cough into their beards, then touch their face and then the produce. And a lot of these people are stocking several stores per day, so their span of contact is way higher. My wearing a mask does diddly for that - just wash your hands before and after touching the groceries.

Oregon doesn't let you pump your own gas so I stay in the car and hand a cc through the window. And I spritz the card with sanitizer before and after giving it to the attendant.

Meds for my wife come via mail.

We are ordering takeout twice a week from the several dying restaurants in our village - we call in the order and give them a credit card number, they deliver to the door, leave, then we take it in. Risk here is food handlers passing the virus on when cooking, for which my wearing a mask does squat.

Beyond that I have a regular mountain bike partner - have been on three rides this week. Besides me, he comes into contact with the same three people in a week, and at a distance. And we don't get within 10' of each other right now. There are also two irregular peeps in our group. One is a teacher, and the schools are closed. The other is retired and lives with his wife in the sticks. We all take separate vehicles and maintain a distance.

We live, work (from home) and play in an area of about 8000 square miles. There are about 200,000 people in this area, about 40% of them concentrated 20 miles away. I have no need to go there. There are 8 confirmed Covid cases in this area - that's one per thousand square miles.

So tell me how my wearing a mask is going to accomplish anything beyond what I can do now without one.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    why the fuck can't it be both? I'm cool with both.
    So am I. Wear one if you can't maintain distance. In my circumstances, wearing one is pointless kibuki theater

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Jonesy does that as a joke - rides switch

^^^ Cool story, bro.

Nope TBSsux spawned because he was pissed about my question "What's the difference between a tele chick and a hockey player?"

Again, go ahead and wear a mask. It will probably work well in an urban environment. That's not where I live.

The last time I was indoors other than at home was last Monday at our local ski resort. There were maybe 10 people in a 2500sf room.

Other than lift served (RIP) I don't come into contact (like within 10') with more than one person a week outside my home. That's the guy who brings the groceries out to my vehicle on a cart and watches from like 8' away while I load them. And most of the time my wife does the pickup.

To me the way bigger risk are the folks stocking the grocery shelves. Even if those people had to wear a surgical mask, I have no confidence they will keep their fucking hands off it while they do their jobs, or that they won't cough into their beards, then touch their face and then the produce. And a lot of these people are stocking several stores per day, so their span of contact is way higher. My wearing a mask does diddly for that - just wash your hands before and after touching the groceries.

Oregon doesn't let you pump your own gas so I stay in the car and hand a cc through the window. And I spritz the card with sanitizer before and after giving it to the attendant.

Meds for my wife come via mail.

We are ordering takeout twice a week from the several dying restaurants in our village - we call in the order and give them a credit card number, they deliver to the door, leave, then we take it in. Risk here is food handlers passing the virus on when cooking, for which my wearing a mask does squat.

Beyond that I have a regular mountain bike partner - have been on three rides this week. Besides me, he comes into contact with the same three people in a week, and at a distance. And we don't get within 10' of each other right now. There are also two irregular peeps in our group. One is a teacher, and the schools are closed. The other is retired and lives with his wife in the sticks. We all take separate vehicles and maintain a distance.

We live, work (from home) and play in an area of about 8000 square miles. There are about 200,000 people in this area, about 40% of them concentrated 20 miles away. I have no need to go there. There are 8 confirmed Covid cases in this area - that's one per thousand square miles.

So tell me how my wearing a mask is going to accomplish anything beyond what I can do now without one.

So am I. Wear one if you can't maintain distance.
    If you can stay out of other people's buildings and away from other people then I agree--no reason for you to wear a mask. Your situation is incredibly rare. The big issue for me is groceries. Delivery takes a week if you can get it at all and you don't know how much of what you order you will actually get. Hopefully the company that's doing the shopping and delivery (no one is doing it for pickup here) is hiring out of work waiters and bartenders. I inquired of the Truckee town council about organizing delivery on a large scale but I was told just to use the private company. Disappointing response from the town. The town is good at telling citizens what to do but not good at doing for the citizens. What social services there are are private nonprofit.

What puzzles me is that for all the criticism of Trump for not acting promptly, only a 1/3 of the US is under stay at home orders. I don't know if the federal government has the power to impose a stay at home order, but the government of every state that hasn't done it is just as guilty of delay as Trump. Unless of course you are of the opinion that we should let people die, let the epidemic burn itself out, and get the economic pain over with.

Holy shit - Covid-19 can survive two years in a freezer?

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/fea...ns-expert.html

Someone offered me a jar of bud, but I'm not sure of the custody chain. Thought maybe I could put it in the freezer for a few days and then feel good about it being Covid-free. Nope!

So all you guys that bought frozen pangolin and civet - be careful

Someone offered me a jar of bud, but I'm not sure of the custody chain. Thought maybe I could put it in the freezer for a few days and then feel good about it being Covid-free. Nope!

Leave it on your counter for 4 days and good to go.

Or put it in the sun for a short time.

Speaking of, anyone seen anything on how long it takes for direct sun to kill it? Sunlight is basically like kryptonite for viruses right? We’ve been leaving packages and deliveries sit in the sun for a bit before we bring them in. I wonder if this would even work for a N95, leave it in direct overhead sun for a while and it should zap all the Covid-19, no?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Sorry if already posted, but seems relevant to current thread discussion about masks, community exposure, etc. https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...h-care-workers

Also, I have most of a box of n95s with the valve. I got them last year for yard work. Thought about dropping them off at the local hospital, but are they of any use with the exhale valve? I’m guessing no but maybe they can tape it shut? Also, will they take an opened box? Seems like in Summit and other cases absolutely. Do I just drive up to the employee parking lot and hand it off to the first nurse I see?

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Also, I have most of a box of n95s with the valve. I got them last year for yard work. Thought about dropping them off at the local hospital, but are they of any use with the exhale valve? I’m guessing no but maybe they can tape it shut? Also, will they take an opened box? Seems like in Summit and other cases absolutely. Do I just drive up to the employee parking lot and hand it off to the first nurse I see?

I would suggest looking at the county public health site, maybe, or the hospital website. Maybe not appropriate, but I know our pediatrician office would give us info if I called and asked. Just north of you, we’re getting mixed info; NV County health states that it and Sierra NV memorial have adequate ppe, nurses on social media are asking for donations...

Covid 19 hasn't been around for 2 years so there is literally no way to know that.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season