Page 760 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 ... LastLast
Results 18,976 to 19,000 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Ya, I was one of the people up thread who got the smile and wave in Boston on March 2nd, direct flight from Madrid. A few days later I was posting here in a fever state and couldn't get anyone in VT to test me for covids or even influenza.
    They had the people and the facilities all lined up.

As OG so succinctly points out, all they really lacked was the technology to perform any sort of actual testing.

In terms of tracking my destination, they did ask where I was going, but as tracking or advising Americans is like herding cats, they didn't ask for more.

They did advise that I isolate for 2 weeks which I did.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The difference is that your PM wasn't and isn't being a dick about it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TrudeauBorderThumberSite.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	329243

"Canada and the United States have agreed to extend for 30 days the current restrictions along the border. This is an important decision that will keep people in both of our countries safe. As we've seen, the decisions we are taking are very much made week to week in this crisis. The situation is changing rapidly and we're adjusting constantly to what is the right measures for Canadians to get that balance right between keeping people safe and restoring a semblance of normality and economic activity that we all rely on.

We are going to keep making these decisions as time goes on. But we will continue to watch carefully what is happening elsewhere in the world and around us as we make decisions on next steps."

This was a mix of prepared statements and off the cuff answers to reporters given live by Trudeau....say what you want about him and Canada but this stringing together of words into coherent sentences is refreshing.

Trudeau looks more like mcafee every day
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    Which is that getting to herd immunity is going to take a long time in Sweden and would probably take even longer here.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...en-coronavirus
    A few weeks ago when Sweden's health authority issued a press release saying they were well (40%) on their way to herd immunity people here quickly blew those claims out of the water with some back of the envelope math.

As the article spells out: in Sweden trips are down, spending is down, GDP is down and in spite of that deaths in Sweden were the highest in Europe per capita on a rolling seven-day average over the past week.

Preliminary SARS2 seroprevalence surveys show low percentages for most countries:

Spain ~5%
    Italy ~5%
    Sweden ~5%
    Denmark ~1%
    Norway < 1%

In America, Georgia eased stay-at-home restrictions a month ago and many consumers are still afraid to go outside. Whether it's Sweden or America there hasn't been a robust return to normal activity from enough people for herd immunity to happen. It's not even clear herd immunity is possible absent a vaccine.

It's just as likely the disease becomes endemic unless it goes away through some combination of behavioral changes and technology.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    A few weeks ago when Sweden's health authority issued a press release saying they were well (40%) on their way to herd immunity people here quickly blew those claims out of the water with some back of the envelope math.

As the article spells out: in Sweden trips are down, spending is down, GDP is down and in spite of that deaths in Sweden were the highest in Europe per capita on a rolling seven-day average over the past week.

Preliminary SARS2 seroprevalence surveys show low percentages for most countries:

Spain ~5%
    Italy ~5%
    Sweden ~5%
    Denmark ~1%
    Norway < 1%

In America, Georgia eased stay-at-home restrictions a month ago and many consumers are still afraid to go outside. Whether it's Sweden or America there hasn't been a robust return to normal activity from enough people for herd immunity to happen. It's not even clear herd immunity is possible absent a vaccine.

It's just as likely the disease becomes endemic unless it goes away through some combination of behavioral changes and technology.
    Its not about actually reopening, actually getting things rolling, it’s about nobody telling you no.

And throwing small biz & the at risk under the bus for a feeling.

RE: Georgia, sister lives in Atlanta. No way she or her husband will go back to a gym. They are all set with using the basement for workouts and have started walking 6 miles a day. Totally non-scientific although both did admit to voting for T&*^p.

Just back from a town run. Home Depot: Like there was no Covid, ever. People right on top of each other. Costco: No Chicken, as fast as the roasted birds were being sent out the little windows they were being grabbed up. Everyone wearing a mask and pretty polite. I caught it at a lull, it wasn't unpleasant but I do miss the free samples. Saw some very sexy masks. Grocery store: 30% masks, people were giving room. Still lots of missing items but nothing I could do without, very few items "on sale". Liquor store was quiet and had some nice sales including Vodkas. Score!
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    RE: Georgia, sister lives in Atlanta. No way she or her husband will go back to a gym. They are all set with using the basement for workouts and have started walking 6 miles a day. Totally non-scientific although both did admit to voting for T&*^p.

Just back from a town run. Home Depot: Like there was no Covid, ever. People right on top of each other. Costco: No Chicken, as fast as the roasted birds were being sent out the little windows they were being grabbed up. Everyone wearing a mask and pretty polite. I caught it at a lull, it wasn't unpleasant but I do miss the free samples. Saw some very sexy masks. Grocery store: 30% masks, people were giving room. Still lots of missing items but nothing I could do without, very few items "on sale". Liquor store was quiet and had some nice sales including Vodkas. Score!
    #winning
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Trudeau looks more like mcafee every day
    someone somewhere talked about when becoming president they take you into the office on the first day, close the door, and then open the books on what's really happened in the past and what's really going on now - and on that day your hair immediately starts going grey

I'm paraphrasing and likely butchering it but you get the idea

Wife went to Costco and Trader Joe's today. Both had 100% mask usage, which is refreshing to hear.

Trader Joe's is, of course a hot bed of liberal pantywaists, but I would think there would have been a few Patriots at Costco.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Trader Joe's is, of course a hot bed of liberal pantywaists, but I would think there would have been a few Patriots at Costco.
    Are you kidding? Costco pays its employees a living wage. That's counter to everything this country stands for.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    People are still acting like travel from China was banned in January but it wasn't. 450k people came from China in the 2 months following an apparently racially-biased ban on Chinese citizens (and even Chinese citizens were only banned from direct flights). That's not a travel ban.

And there are accounts in this thread from March of people coming back from abroad and getting nothing but a wave and a smile at customs. The exponential spread could have been contained quite well in those months compared to doing nothing.
    I read four or five accounts of people flying back from Italy when the shit was coming off the fan and nothing, nada, at the U.S. airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I read four or five accounts of people flying back from Italy when the shit was coming off the fan and nothing, nada, at the U.S. airport.
    That happened to my friend and he left northern Italy the day before it was completely shut down. He said they asked if he'd been to either China or Iran and he told them "no, but I was in Italy." They couldn't have cared less, according to him.

Went to Safeway today--everything I needed was available except bread flour and yeast. Went to the bakery and one of the bakers gave me a plastic bag of bread flour and a pound of instant yeast. The flour was obviously bagged from the bulk order the bakery uses. Different supply chain. Likewise the yeast. The baker told me they were within a day of running out earlier but now have plenty of supply.

Tue and Thur AM are for seniors. And for the 30 something woman not wearing a mask. When people say let's open everything up and let the old isolate, this is why it won't work. The young will not do anything to allow the old to isolate and some will go out of their way to see that they can't.

One thing that might help businesses open more profitably would be to have days or times (AM) when controlled admission, distancing, and masks are strictly enforced and the rest of the time people can do what they want. That way more people will feel safe shopping. Of course there will still be unmasked, crowding people who insist on coming during the safe times and refuse to comply. Some won't buy anything--they will just come to be assholes. You can't blame store owners not wanting to tell people they have to put on a mask or leave--too easy to get beaten up or shot. There are certainly people in this country who have good reason to be angry haters, but an awful lot of angry haters are people who have jobs, money, security. Hard to figure. Just like there are desperately poor people who will share what little they have.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Are you kidding? Costco pays its employees a living wage. That's counter to everything this country stands for.
    yup they paye pretty good and there are benfits
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I was referring to customers, not employees, either way, yes it was a joke.

Nearly every store I have been in has 100% employee cooperation, customers...not so much.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

A patriot is not someone who tells everyone how much they love their country. A patriot is someone who serves their country. (I don't mean just serving in the military, but doing any kind of service, formal or otherwise, paid or otherwise.)

Customers who don't wear masks in stores are going to be disappointed when the store is shut because too many employees got sick.

but an awful lot of angry haters are people who have jobs, money, security. Hard to figure. Just like there are desperately poor people who will share what little they have.
    The poor people are used to not having much. The angry haters are used to getting what they want all the time. only way I can figure it.

A patriot is not someone who tells everyone how much they love their country. A patriot is someone who serves their country. (I don't mean just serving in the military, but doing any kind of service, formal or otherwise, paid or otherwise.)

Customers who don't wear masks in stores are going to be disappointed when the store is shut because too many employees got sick.
    the stores will hire more cannon fodder

The difference is that your PM wasn't and isn't being a dick about it.
    Absolutely across the board the optics have been good at both Federal and provincial levels. Main spoke persons have been public health officers. Sometimes abit woke and sugary sweet but within reason. And Justin's hair looks great with 4 weeks no hair cut.

Plus in Canada there is almost no opposition right now.
    Last edited by DougW; 05-21-2020 at 07:02 PM.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post

She’s not alone. No one I know except essential workers are venturing out. My friends who own bars and restaurants sent me plenty of pictures of empty dining rooms and basically empty patios. People are out and about but that’s mostly because it’s summer here and has been nice for a while so it’s no different from the past 6 weeks; thing is, the stores and things may be open (some) but people are walking by from everything I’ve seen here in Buckhead.

Now the mountains last weekend looked PACKED out and COVERED as we were on my way to my buddy’s lake house. /shrug
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    She’s not alone. No one I know except essential workers are venturing out. My friends who own bars and restaurants sent me plenty of pictures of empty dining rooms and basically empty patios. People are out and about but that’s mostly because it’s summer here and has been nice for a while so it’s no different from the past 6 weeks; thing is, the stores and things may be open (some) but people are walking by from everything I’ve seen here in Buckhead.

Now the mountains last weekend looked PACKED out and COVERED as we were on my way to my buddy’s lake house. /shrug
    Damn people not staying at home... heh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Went to Safeway today--everything I needed was available except bread flour and yeast. Went to the bakery and one of the bakers gave me a plastic bag of bread flour and a pound of instant yeast. The flour was obviously bagged from the bulk order the bakery uses. Different supply chain. Likewise the yeast. The baker told me they were within a day of running out earlier but now have plenty of supply.

Tue and Thur AM are for seniors. And for the 30 something woman not wearing a mask. When people say let's open everything up and let the old isolate, this is why it won't work. The young will not do anything to allow the old to isolate and some will go out of their way to see that they can't.

One thing that might help businesses open more profitably would be to have days or times (AM) when controlled admission, distancing, and masks are strictly enforced and the rest of the time people can do what they want. That way more people will feel safe shopping. Of course there will still be unmasked, crowding people who insist on coming during the safe times and refuse to comply. Some won't buy anything--they will just come to be assholes. You can't blame store owners not wanting to tell people they have to put on a mask or leave--too easy to get beaten up or shot. There are certainly people in this country who have good reason to be angry haters, but an awful lot of angry haters are people who have jobs, money, security. Hard to figure. Just like there are desperately poor people who will share what little they have.
    Planned on making pizza doughs for tomorrow. Had 1 yeast packet in the fridge. Didn’t think anything about it and looked for yeast when I went to the store. No yeast. Went to 3 different stores. I had stepped up yeast making beer before, so I figured I’d try. Worked fine, doughs are proofing in the fridge

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Damn people not staying at home... heh?
    Right? I want my trails back please, not covered up with the entire population of possibly-infected Atlanta who, thanks to the rona, just discovered there’s mountains a short drive north.

Thankfully the trout stream and lake was empty.

But I get it about us not staying home. We went to an empty lake house and played in the water all weekend. I hear the rona is not a strong swimmer.

Last edited by BmillsSkier; 05-21-2020 at 06:38 PM.
    I still call it The Jake.

for a maga county, we gots good compliance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A66BE7AD-9E4F-41F5-845B-014CFFE1593F.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	599.2 KB 
ID:	329259

which is good... lottsa comorbidities around here.