Page 1250 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 ... LastLast
Results 31,226 to 31,250 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    And I'm in the process of changing banks. Asking me if I'd be more comfortable if they also wore a mask was the last straw: I'm more comfortable not discussing it. I shouldn't have to be the one to ask my "local" bank to give a shit about our community.
    Especially ten months into it.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I don’t live in El Paso. We’ve had a public indoor mask mandate since summer. People are very cooperative with it and they enforce it at Costco, Safeway and small groceries here.

Try again.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    You also don't have contact tracing but hey only listen to facts that fit your pre-ordained worldview.

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Do I dare say............

Shit just got real. Just now. Wow.

Forget the temperature checks, just have people smell Yankee Candles before entering public places. If you can't smell those you've definitely got teh covids!

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Forget the temperature checks, just have people smell Yankee Candles before entering public places. If you can't smell those you've definitely got teh covids!
    I've posted this before, but if this works, it would be a game changer. Seems like a long shot at this point though.

Artificial intelligence model detects asymptomatic Covid-19 infections through cellphone-recorded coughs

https://news.mit.edu/2020/covid-19-c...detection-1029

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Particularly nutty in the case of one restaurant/coffee shop/store where masks are challenging for customers but easy for staff. Screw those idiots. What else are they not doing.
    There’s an old restaurant industry “assumption/ standard” I’ve followed that if they don’t serve Coke and use Heinz ketchup, I’m not eating there because who the hell knows what else they are skimping on. I’ve added the employees using masks to that list.

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    There’s an old restaurant industry “assumption/ standard” I’ve followed that if they don’t serve Coke and use Heinz ketchup, I’m not eating there because who the hell knows what else they are skimping on.
    I'll give an exception for Portland ketchup. That stuff is tasty (and more expensive than Heinz).

There’s an old restaurant industry “assumption/ standard” I’ve followed that if they don’t serve Coke and use Heinz ketchup, I’m not eating there because who the hell knows what else they are skimping on. I’ve added the employees using masks to that list.

Seconded.
    Upscale/downscale or whatever. If the stupid fucks aren't wearing masks, move on.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    I've posted this before, but if this works, it would be a game changer. Seems like a long shot at this point though.

Artificial intelligence model detects asymptomatic Covid-19 infections through cellphone-recorded coughs

https://news.mit.edu/2020/covid-19-c...detection-1029
    That’s not terrifying at all....

Sure, let’s give the gov/some tech firm unfettered access to even more of our digital lives.

ETA: just finished reading, apparently they want to make it voluntary. Interesting tech but I’m afraid it’s a slippery slope if it does prove useful.

live in OR and wanna join a vaccine trial?
    https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavir...ine-trial.html

I'll give an exception for Portland ketchup. That stuff is tasty (and more expensive than Heinz).
    I heard this long before the gourmet ketchup stuff started to show up so I’ll give it a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Some of covid mink got loose. Apparently.
    The live ones or the undead ones?

If you think your shit doesn't stink you might just have covid.

You don't think they put cheap ketchup in Heinz bottles?

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post

Sure, let’s give the gov/some tech firm unfettered access to even more of our digital lives.

ETA: just finished reading, apparently they want to make it voluntary. Interesting tech but I’m afraid it’s a slippery slope if it does prove useful.
    Well, Zuckerberg made billions from "voluntary".

Well fuck, then I've had the covids for a few decades. I have always had a poor sense of smell.

“9 months into this pandemic cases are on the rise and lockdown measures are being re-applied,” said Freeland. “This will have huge consequences on small businesses and people’s financial futures, which right now appear to be more fucked than they have been at any point since the 2008 recession. And that, as you recall, was extremely fucked.”

“It brings me no pleasure, but it is my duty to tell you that our economy is currently a giant turd being flung at a school trip by a masturbating monkey.”

~The Beaverton
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by Deebased View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I don’t live in El Paso. We’ve had a public indoor mask mandate since summer. People are very cooperative with it and they enforce it at Costco, Safeway and small groceries here.
    You also don't have contact tracing but hey only listen to facts that fit your pre-ordained worldview.
    Deeb may be onto something. Stores are indoor spaces, visited by many people. We tend to spend 30+ minutes once or twice a week. It's like a continuously operated church, without singing. This is not "safe" during a pandemic. Typical masks provide some protection. Additionally, everyone there including employees is performing "essential" tasks, meaning they are likely to be there even if sick.

Seems reasonable Covid would spread in stores. And masks should reduce that. However, the recent case acceleration is likely from some other source, as I don't think shopping increased much. Unmasked indoor gatherings seem a reasonable suspect. As it got colder, more folks moved parties indoors. Also, the big summer peaks were in hot areas, likely also due to indoor gatherings.

Sure would be nice if we did a better job of data gathering and analyzing and publishing where people are getting sick, or which activities. E.g. look at cell phone tracks to see what changed when cases increase or decrease. Look at mask use differences across similar regions, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Well fuck, then I've had the covids for a few decades. I have always had a poor sense of smell.
    “Sir, would you step over here for some additional screening? Would you please smell THIS?” (Whips out rotten durian)
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    live in OR and wanna join a vaccine trial?
    https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavir...ine-trial.html
    There's got to be some Portland area mags that would be down to take a bullet, I mean a shot for the team?

To participate, volunteers must meet several guidelines, including:

1. Do you have either stable medical conditions or no medical issues? May be eligible

2. Are you pregnant? Not eligible

3. Have you previously been diagnosed with COVID-19? Not eligible.

4. Do you live within a 90-minute drive of the OHSU campus in Southwest Portland. May be eligible.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

CDC recommends prioritizing HCW's and nursing home residents.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...-groups-covid/
    I would only prioritize those HCW's who care for Covid patients--including janitors, xray techs. HCW's not involved in covid care I would put in the tier with other essential workers.
    I would prioritize essential workers over nursing home residents--the people that keep the lights on and get food to our tables--based on how much exposure they have to others--grocery workers but not truck drivers to start. I think we're pretty close to the wheels coming off our society and I could see our basic infrastructure and distribution systems start to fail in the near future with enough people quarantined.
    While nursing home patients have the highest number of deaths, I think we need to look at years of life saved. OTOH hopefully if all residents of a nursing home were immunized they would be able to have visitors, which is more important than just the life saved for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    got a smart phone with any apps?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2020-12-01 Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey - Page 1252.png 
Views:	156 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	350714

Deja-vu?

I would wager that is an almost exchange I must have read here at least 3 other times.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    CDC recommends prioritizing HCW's and nursing home residents.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...-groups-covid/
    I would only prioritize those HCW's who care for Covid patients--including janitors, xray techs. HCW's not involved in covid care I would put in the tier with other essential workers.
    I would prioritize essential workers over nursing home residents--the people that keep the lights on and get food to our tables--based on how much exposure they have to others--grocery workers but not truck drivers to start. I think we're pretty close to the wheels coming off our society and I could see our basic infrastructure and distribution systems start to fail in the near future with enough people quarantined.
    While nursing home patients have the highest number of deaths, I think we need to look at years of life saved. OTOH hopefully if all residents of a nursing home were immunized they would be able to have visitors, which is more important than just the life saved for a few years.
    Everyone in the damned hospitals is taking care of COVID and vulnerable patients, whether they mean to or not. It is just reality.

Hospitals are struggling to staff and have lots out with COVID. Plenty of cases of asymptomatic patients/staff exposing other staff. The goal is to not have the hospitals in such a dire state.

They are putting two beds in rooms meant for one in many hospitals starting this week, but there isn't staff. ICU ratios 3:1 or 4:1.

If my PT gave therapy to 12 patients and got a colleague sick, well then I have sick people and I cannot use the PTs as an extra set of hands in ICU, which is what we are doing (and using office staff too) well, I just hope that I can get a roomed turned over... not happening if the housekeeping staff is out with the Rona. Also, we use the RNs to mop of vomit in COVID rooms because EVS doesn't want to go in there.

Vaccine will address a lot of this dysfunction.

There is exposure, hazard, and vulnerability to consider when determining risk as a factor of prioritization. If people are starving because the grovery stores aren't open and the delivery trucks aren't running, then you can convince me that they should be Tier 1A. They are Tier 2. As it should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2020-12-01 Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey - Page 1252.png 
Views:	156 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	350714

Deja-vu?

I would wager that is an almost exchange I must have read here at least 3 other times.
    Yeah, most people have zero idea the amount of info harvested on them daily by any number of entities. You don't even need apps - telematics data is captured at the carrier level.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Yeah, most people have zero idea the amount of info harvested on them daily by any number of entities. You don't even need apps - telematics data is captured at the carrier level.
    That, and the microchips in vaccines.