Page 891 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 ... LastLast
Results 22,251 to 22,275 of 41810
    Ivy league cancels all fall sports.

Before anyone scoffs, they were the first to cancel winter tournaments and spring sports last year.

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

The dominoes (NCAA/HS) will now begin to fall. It’s over folks.... (for those who like/have kids that play sports in the fall season).

Next up....winter sports being delayed till January....limited schedules/no travel/overnights, etc.

It’s all very hard to watch this all unfold....especially when it’s your kids...(it was hard in March to see everything end....it’s even worse now)

The college sports stuff (cancelations) makes sense. Not easy for those affected.

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    Just another data point, heard approximately third-hand (with the obligatory "don't tell anybody")... Extended (not close) family member, veterinary clinic employee, fellow employee was coughing and started getting feverish so he went home, lots of other employees got tested but no one really knows what each others' results are, person related to me asymptomatic but tested positive, her sick leave which doesn't roll over just reset July 1 so basically she has zero sick leave even though she has sick leave benefits, so she's continuing to work, also justifying decision because clinic is short-staffed and she wants to be there to support fellow employees, oh, and clinic owner just had to fly out of town for a few days. And this whole scenario that I just heard about probably isn't uncommon.
    Is this the clinic in Loomis?

^^ No

It's a very big reason a lot of kids go to school. Major party scene.

Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier View Post
    The Regeron antibody cocktail is moving into Phase 3 for prophylactic immunity and phase 2/3 for treatment. https://investor.regeneron.com/news-...-19-prevention

Of course any antibody production is going to be pretty complicated to scale-up cheaply seeing as most all therapeutic antibodies to this point are really expensive cancer drugs. If this (or any of the other neutralizing antibodies) works, the only people who will ever get it are HCPs in covid wards and the patients in those wards so it won't have much of an effect on letting the world "return to normal", just less people will outright die.
    That’s good for those who are in really bad shape.

Are there any treatment trials ongoing that may help the people who reach the hospital, get back out quickly? Rensdesivir?

I assume most here are fairly healthy, which is one decent defense against this. Are you all continuing to supplement with vitamin D, zinc, vitamin C daily?

So when is the occupational hazard of working amongst high risk of covid infection going to become a workers comp claim issue?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    So when is the occupational hazard of working amongst high risk of covid infection going to become a workers comp claim issue?
    Well, some people are hard at work making it difficult for businesses to be held accountable, and it is already difficult. In my relative's case, it would seem to be impossible to hold the employer responsible for the most concerning risk, that her immediate family members, one of whom I can tell you would have to be at very high risk if exposed, were the ones suffering consequences for the employer's nonchalance.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to get people paranoid about pet clinics, because obviously, this isn't just about pet clinics. Thing is, I can't entirely blame my relative for going to work while live Covid virus is running through her airway, because for all I know, she might not feel like she has any other good options; this isn't just cashflow for her, but a career path. And if her employer doesn't give a fuck, and the general public as expressed via their elected officials don't give a fuck, then why should she pay a price she can't afford in order to do the right thing? And think about how many other people, in all kinds of jobs, are making the same kind of rational decision.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    The dominoes (NCAA/HS) will now begin to fall. It’s over folks.... (for those who like/have kids that play sports in the fall season).

Next up....winter sports being delayed till January....limited schedules/no travel/overnights, etc.

It’s all very hard to watch this all unfold....especially when it’s your kids...(it was hard in March to see everything end....it’s even worse now)
    Darling daughter is beside herself, winter indoor track is already being cut back, and who knows what's going to happen in spring.

I hear ya brotha....kids worked hard for these “4 years”....and half of it will be gone because of a pandemic.....awful.

At this time last year....preparing to send daughter away for the “best years of her life”...we never had any thought in the world that this was all coming. Now as we prepare to send our other daughter away......what should be an exciting time for all of us.....has turned very stressful wondering what the future really holds for them.

Well, some people are hard at work making it difficult for businesses to be held accountable, and it is already difficult. In my relative's case, it would seem to be impossible to hold the employer responsible for the most concerning risk, that her immediate family members, one of whom I can tell you would have to be at very high risk if exposed, were the ones suffering consequences for the employer's nonchalance.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to get people paranoid about pet clinics, because obviously, this isn't just about pet clinics. Thing is, I can't entirely blame my relative for going to work while live Covid virus is running through her airway, because for all I know, she might not feel like she has any other good options; this isn't just cashflow for her, but a career path. And if her employer doesn't give a fuck, and the general public as expressed via their elected officials don't give a fuck, then why should she pay a price she can't afford in order to do the right thing? And think about how many other people, in all kinds of jobs, are making the same kind of rational decision.
    Thanks for that CNBC article about worker’s comp claims. I was asking because of the instances where workers were being required to report to work and thinking about reopening schools. There are some school staff that cannot really do their jobs with masks on. For instance, those that work with children with special needs, like my wife. She works closely with aids or teachers and severely disabled kids. It’s important to see all peoples mouths and to be in close (or very close) proximity.

There are some school districts that are providing covid quarantine days that are different than sick days (probably due to strong negotiations by the unions).

I wasn’t poking at vet clinics, but find that to be an interesting coincidence. Not to start a conspiracy, there’s one vet clinic in Grass Valley where (at least) several of the vet techs are are actively and encouraging younger adults to catch covid to help build community herd immunity (several techs from that clinic have shared this on local fb pages)....

One of the many reasons the US is doing so much worse than the world is lack of sick leave--both actual and in pressure employers exert to discourage people who have leave from using it. So sick people, people with positive tests go to work.

Meanwhile daily deaths close to 1000. What will tomorrow bring.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    One of the many reasons the US is doing so much worse than the world is lack of sick leave--both actual and in pressure employers exert to discourage people who have leave from using it. So sick people, people with positive tests go to work.
    THIS

If I could find the HR fucker who first decided that vacation and sick time should be combo'd into PTO... that person deserves the 'Rona and the flu.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Testing supply shortages are clearly a deliberate plan by Trump to keep the numbers down. That by itself is an impeachable offense--should take about a week to do it. I wonder how he plans to cover up the deaths--forbid doctors from pronouncing people dead? Refuse medicare payments to doctors and hospitals if patient is diagnosed with coronavirus on the the death certificate? Have doctors tell families--grandma isn't dead, we just took her to a farm upstate. Meanwhile he's trying to bully schools into reopening but has rejected CDC's guidelines for how to reopen and ordered them to come up with cheaper ones. It just keeps getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    THIS

If I could find the HR fucker who first decided that vacation and sick time should be combo'd into PTO... that person deserves the 'Rona and the flu.
    I believe that is a state issue. Colorado doesn't have separate sick time allocation. It is another situation that became very clear during this pandemic. Worker rights are stomped on regularly as old goat said.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    I hear ya brotha....kids worked hard for these “4 years”....and half of it will be gone because of a pandemic.....awful.

At this time last year....preparing to send daughter away for the “best years of her life”...we never had any thought in the world that this was all coming. Now as we prepare to send our other daughter away......what should be an exciting time for all of us.....has turned very stressful wondering what the future really holds for them.
    Buy them both a one-way ticket to New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Testing supply shortages are clearly a deliberate plan by Trump to keep the numbers down. That by itself is an impeachable offense--should take about a week to do it. I wonder how he plans to cover up the deaths--forbid doctors from pronouncing people dead? Refuse medicare payments to doctors and hospitals if patient is diagnosed with coronavirus on the the death certificate? Have doctors tell families--grandma isn't dead, we just took her to a farm upstate. Meanwhile he's trying to bully schools into reopening but has rejected CDC's guidelines for how to reopen and ordered them to come up with cheaper ones. It just keeps getting worse.
    When you've been rewriting history at the rate he does, what's a few numbers and guidelines?
    It's amazing the fuckers in the White House are willing to go along with his shit. It baffles the fuck out of me. I know politicians are by and large mentally fucked, but this shit is beyond comprehension.

But not to worry, between the guidance we get from Trump and Paris Hilton, this coronavirus is done, kaput, won't even be a blip.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Buy them both a one-way ticket to New Zealand.
    I’ll make sure they are wearing their “FKNA t-shirts”.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    I believe that is a state issue. Colorado doesn't have separate sick time allocation. It is another situation that became very clear during this pandemic. Worker rights are stomped on regularly as old goat said.
    There’s no law in the US that companies have to give vacation time. There are sick time laws in certain areas.

I prefer PTO because it gives more days off. For example I get 24 PTO days a year, as someone who never gets sick I always left my sick days on the table because they don’t pay out under sick time programs.

Fuck that.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Are you fucking kidding? The only rational in that behavior is being a selfish asshole. Going to work and behaving as normal while being Covid positive and knowing it is disgusting. This persons behavior is equally as reprehensible as her employers. And we wonder why it’s exploding like crazy in this country.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

^ Not fucking kidding, and I'm not exactly disagreeing with you either. But in quite a number of ways I'm not walking in her shoes, and I don't know close to the full story about her employment and employability situation, so I'm hesitant to judge.

^ I realize we’re more or less on the same philosophical page on the societal problem. But on a moral level for someone to be knowingly spreading this disease just makes me angry it’s playing Russian roulette with the people in this persons community without them knowing that the round is chambered. Americans need to wake the fuck up. This country is sick on so many levels and this virus is just exposing so many of the underlying issues.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Open question:
    If somebody is knowingly covid positive, asymptomatic, and has a job like a vet tech, teacher, nurse, grocery store check stand worker, etc., where they are having face to face interactions with many others as part of their job, can they do their job without spreading? Why or why not?

Personally, I like the no risk policy of fully gov-subsidized isolation until testing negative (even with covid shit), but that not seeming realistic in the US.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 07-09-2020 at 10:47 AM.

People are as moral as they can afford to be. We call those that are more moral than they can afford, Heroes. We are always in short supply of heroes.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Just another data point, heard approximately third-hand (with the obligatory "don't tell anybody")... Extended (not close) family member, veterinary clinic employee, fellow employee was coughing and started getting feverish so he went home, lots of other employees got tested but no one really knows what each others' results are, person related to me asymptomatic but tested positive, her sick leave which doesn't roll over just reset July 1 so basically she has zero sick leave even though she has sick leave benefits, so she's continuing to work, also justifying decision because clinic is short-staffed and she wants to be there to support fellow employees, oh, and clinic owner just had to fly out of town for a few days. And this whole scenario that I just heard about probably isn't uncommon.
    I've read a couple articles about pets transmitting the covid. Not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Open question:
    If somebody is knowingly covid positive, asymptomatic, and has a job like a vet tech, teacher, nurse, grocery store check stand worker, etc., where they are having face to face interactions with many others as part of their job can they do their job without spreading? Why or why not?

Personally, I like the no risk policy of fully gov-subsidized isolation until testing negative (even with covid shit), but that not seeming realistic in the US.
    Something tells me those FEMA camps will not be sitting idle for long.

I helped with a fema camp. It’s in Gridley. Wildfire displaced. There are new isolation shelters in Maui.