Page 798 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 ... LastLast
Results 19,926 to 19,950 of 41810
    Ship of horrors: life and death on the lawless high seas

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...70-new-zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Fish from those boats probably leave in the shape of a breaded square.
    Or those deep frozen precisely cut tuna steaks vacuum sealed you find in Whole Foods. If only Lexus driving soccer mom from Ct. knew how they were made as she bends over the cabinet.

...but, but, but it came from Whole Foods, so it is wonderfully environmentally safe and sound, caught and packed by people making six figures and fished only from schools who want to be caught and eaten to sustain world peace.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Yeah, more like months. The boat leaves Seattle, sails to Alaska, then drops fish off on the way back. I see that boat, or one of her sister ships here every year (Bellingham Cold Storage is the largest portside facility on the west coast).

Entry-level jobs probably do pay shit, but there are definitely well paying career jobs onboard as well.
    I was thinking they might do some trips out to the 200-mile limit that were somewhat shorter but yeah AK trips would be drastically longer no doubt.

I'm sure there's decent jobs aboard, Merchant Marine jobs pay very well. But the navigation and shipboard operations staff is a completely different group than the processing people and there's no path from one to the other. You don't go from gutting fish to driving the boat.

Absolute differences in risk of infection with and without PPE. Very large meta-study.

https://www.thelancet.com/action/sho...2820%2931142-9

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 11.23.03 AM.png
Views: 457
Size:  328.3 KB

I’m still curious about forced air. As in wind, or say a person’s swamp cooler or fan forcing a stream of air out of the house. How can that not nullify the distance?

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    I’m still curious about forced air. As in wind, or say a person’s swamp cooler or fan forcing a stream of air out of the house. How can that not nullify the distance?
    there was a fairly well-publicized analysis of an infection cluster from a restaurant, and infections clearly favored certain people/seats via airflow - most infected were in the circulating airflow of the air conditioner.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0764_article

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20-0764-F1.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	330401

Great. My neighbor, a pharmacist, nice guy, has a new swamp cooler blowing straight into my gardening area. I’m sure he comes into contact of zero viruses.

If you're downwind, you mean? It does a little but it's also important to note that dilution happens both with time and distance. Particles don't travel straight, they bounce off each other and twirl in little eddies, so a cloud of them won't just move downwind without dispersing somewhat. And of course growing with time, and a larger volume means a lower concentration. (That's the biggest driver for distance recommendations, I would assume, since a sphere of stuff becomes less concentrated with the cube of its radius/distance from the source.)

Great. My neighbor, a pharmacist, nice guy, has a new swamp cooler blowing straight into my gardening area. I’m sure he comes into contact of zero viruses.
    your garden is on the roof? Cool...... tell that asshole to get a real swamp cooler on the roof. damned window monstrosities.

Experts dismiss Italian report of weakened virus. One explanation I didn't consider was a difference in who is tested--early on only the very sick were being tested so higher viral loads would be expected than if people with mild symptoms were tested.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...482_story.html

Lancet study shows that HCW's should be using N95's, not surgical masks. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/01/h...gtype=Homepage
    If HCW's why not everyone else? Unfortunately the lack of a federal response to greatly ramp up N95 production means that HCW's and ordinary citizens will continue to die unnecessarily. Coronagate.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    If you're downwind, you mean? It does a little but it's also important to note that dilution happens both with time and distance. Particles don't travel straight, they bounce off each other and twirl in little eddies, so a cloud of them won't just move downwind without dispersing somewhat. And of course growing with time, and a larger volume means a lower concentration. (That's the biggest driver for distance recommendations, I would assume, since a sphere of stuff becomes less concentrated with the cube of its radius/distance from the source.)
    I have a huge yard, but it’s mostly already full of plants, and a huge portion is very shaded. The best most sunny area to grow veggies is directly in front of the window he put the exhaust port in. The plants wiggle in the breeze. One good area is as far as 15 feet away, but one area I wanted to expand to is only 3 feet away.
    The fact he’s a pharmacist isn’t easing my concerns at all.
    I could ask him to pick a different window, or attach a hose to it.
    Don’t really wanna deal with it. Don’t wanna get sick.

I have a huge yard, but it’s mostly already full of plants, and a huge portion is very shaded. The best most sunny area to grow veggies is directly in front of the window he put the exhaust port in. The plants wiggle in the breeze. One good area is as far as 15 feet away, but one area I wanted to expand to is only 3 feet away.
    The fact he’s a pharmacist isn’t easing my concerns at all.
    I could ask him to pick a different window, or attach a hose to it.
    Don’t really wanna deal with it. Don’t wanna get sick.
    I'm sure there are people here who know better than me, but I wouldn't worry much about a spot with full sun getting moist/warm air from a swamp cooler. UV and time for the plants. Otherwise, how often are you and he both standing at your respective ends of this flow at the same time? If you wash your veggies as well as the ones I'm buying at the store I think you're safer than me.

Based on the current new cycle, I think this pandemic is over... everyone has moved on.

@jono, not worried about the plants at all, worried about me huffing his house fumes while I’m there working daily. Will be at least half hour or more per day 7 days a week. I would think if he hypothetically got cofefe, he would not need to be home or standing there to have virus air being ported out with velocity.
    (And also just even getting a common cold in this crazy time would be a major setback)
    One minute the concern seems crazy the next it seems real.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Based on the current new cycle, I think this pandemic is over... everyone has moved on.
    Yep. Meanwhile, the virus is like "Hey, street riots, hold my beer"

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I was thinking they might do some trips out to the 200-mile limit that were somewhat shorter but yeah AK trips would be drastically longer no doubt.

I'm sure there's decent jobs aboard, Merchant Marine jobs pay very well. But the navigation and shipboard operations staff is a completely different group than the processing people and there's no path from one to the other. You don't go from gutting fish to driving the boat.
    Yeah, definitely not. Good and terrible jobs for sure. I'd be surprised if they aren't somewhat segregated onboard as well.

And it's hard core for everyone. Those ships leave Seattle, sail through the Strait of Juan de Fuca, then across open ocean to Dutch Harbor in the Aleutian Islands. That's got to be rough as shit.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Yep. Meanwhile, the virus is like "Hey, street riots, hold my beer"
    For some reason there were no protests in DC when our moron in chief did shit about this pandemic... but that's for another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Something was bound to move it below the fold eventually. I wouldn't count it out for long.

@jono, not worried about the plants at all, worried about me huffing his house fumes while I’m there working daily. Will be at least half hour or more per day 7 days a week. I would think if he hypothetically got cofefe, he would not need to be home or standing there to have virus air being ported out with velocity.
    (And also just even getting a common cold in this crazy time would be a major setback)
    One minute the concern seems crazy the next it seems real.
    You need to go over there, knock on the door and demand he stop blowing his covids all over your garden.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Wear a GoPro. Post footy.

Seriously, though, concentration of cooties in his house isn't going to be homogenous. But if he likes stripping down and rubbing his fleshy man-bits on the swamp cooler on hot days, best go back inside until he finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Wear a GoPro. Post footy.
    And his tinfoil hat.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I only wear my hat every other minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    ...Those ships leave Seattle, sail through the Strait of Juan de Fuca, ....That's got to be rough as shit.
    We called them the Straits of I wanta Puka.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

China is ASSHOLE

https://apnews.com/3c061794970661042b18d5aeaaed9fae

Quote Originally Posted by Associated Press
    Throughout January, the World Health Organization publicly praised China for what it called a speedy response to the new coronavirus. It repeatedly thanked the Chinese government for sharing the genetic map of the virus “immediately,” and said its work and commitment to transparency were “very impressive, and beyond words.”

But behind the scenes, it was a much different story, one of significant delays by China and considerable frustration among WHO officials over not getting the information they needed to fight the spread of the deadly virus, The Associated Press has found.

Despite the plaudits, China in fact sat on releasing the genetic map, or genome, of the virus for more than a week after three different government labs had fully decoded the information. Tight controls on information and competition within the Chinese public health system were to blame, according to dozens of interviews and internal documents.

Chinese government labs only released the genome after another lab published it ahead of authorities on a virologist website on Jan. 11. Even then, China stalled for at least two weeks more on providing WHO with detailed data on patients and cases, according to recordings of internal meetings held by the U.N. health agency through January — all at a time when the outbreak arguably might have been dramatically slowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.