Page 799 of 883 FirstFirst ... 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 ... LastLast
Results 19,951 to 19,975 of 22065
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    So now it's hitting the fishing industry? Uff da!

Attachment 330370
    There are 85+ crew members on a fishing trawler? I had no idea, my knowledge of fishing is from watching A Perfect Storm

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Thatís no trawler; thatís a factory ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    That’s no trawler; that’s a factory ship.
    Yup - Factory Trawler.

Coronavirus outbreak strikes Seattle factory trawler as most of 126 crew tests positive
    Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkiní Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Same boat that accidentally rammed the Canadian warship HMCS Winnipeg about 5 or more years ago.

edit: and local news says it now 86 positive.

Where the fuck do they find 140 people willing to work on a factory trawler? That would be fucking miserable work. Trips are probably at least week and maybe substantially more. Cold, wet, dangerous and probably pays shit.

Immigrant work force??? Like in poultry factories?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Where the fuck do they find 140 people willing to work on a factory trawler? That would be fucking miserable work. Trips are probably at least week and maybe substantially more. Cold, wet, dangerous and probably pays shit.
    A week? No, those poor souls are out for a lot longer than that. No way that beast is wasting fuel heading to port more than necessary. They offload their fish to tenders so they can fish nonstop.

Yeah, more like months. The boat leaves Seattle, sails to Alaska, then drops fish off on the way back. I see that boat, or one of her sister ships here every year (Bellingham Cold Storage is the largest portside facility on the west coast).

Entry-level jobs probably do pay shit, but there are definitely well paying career jobs onboard as well.

Fish from those boats probably leave in the shape of a breaded square.

Ship of horrors: life and death on the lawless high seas

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...70-new-zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Fish from those boats probably leave in the shape of a breaded square.
    Or those deep frozen precisely cut tuna steaks vacuum sealed you find in Whole Foods. If only Lexus driving soccer mom from Ct. knew how they were made as she bends over the cabinet.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

...but, but, but it came from Whole Foods, so it is wonderfully environmentally safe and sound, caught and packed by people making six figures and fished only from schools who want to be caught and eaten to sustain world peace.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Yeah, more like months. The boat leaves Seattle, sails to Alaska, then drops fish off on the way back. I see that boat, or one of her sister ships here every year (Bellingham Cold Storage is the largest portside facility on the west coast).

Entry-level jobs probably do pay shit, but there are definitely well paying career jobs onboard as well.
    I was thinking they might do some trips out to the 200-mile limit that were somewhat shorter but yeah AK trips would be drastically longer no doubt.

I'm sure there's decent jobs aboard, Merchant Marine jobs pay very well. But the navigation and shipboard operations staff is a completely different group than the processing people and there's no path from one to the other. You don't go from gutting fish to driving the boat.

Absolute differences in risk of infection with and without PPE. Very large meta-study.

https://www.thelancet.com/action/sho...2820%2931142-9

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 11.23.03 AM.png
Views: 266
Size:  328.3 KB

I’m still curious about forced air. As in wind, or say a person’s swamp cooler or fan forcing a stream of air out of the house. How can that not nullify the distance?

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Iím still curious about forced air. As in wind, or say a personís swamp cooler or fan forcing a stream of air out of the house. How can that not nullify the distance?
    there was a fairly well-publicized analysis of an infection cluster from a restaurant, and infections clearly favored certain people/seats via airflow - most infected were in the circulating airflow of the air conditioner.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0764_article

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20-0764-F1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	330401

Great. My neighbor, a pharmacist, nice guy, has a new swamp cooler blowing straight into my gardening area. I’m sure he comes into contact of zero viruses.

I’m still curious about forced air. As in wind, or say a person’s swamp cooler or fan forcing a stream of air out of the house. How can that not nullify the distance?
    If you're downwind, you mean? It does a little but it's also important to note that dilution happens both with time and distance. Particles don't travel straight, they bounce off each other and twirl in little eddies, so a cloud of them won't just move downwind without dispersing somewhat. And of course growing with time, and a larger volume means a lower concentration. (That's the biggest driver for distance recommendations, I would assume, since a sphere of stuff becomes less concentrated with the cube of its radius/distance from the source.)

Great. My neighbor, a pharmacist, nice guy, has a new swamp cooler blowing straight into my gardening area. I’m sure he comes into contact of zero viruses.
    your garden is on the roof? Cool...... tell that asshole to get a real swamp cooler on the roof. damned window monstrosities.
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

Experts dismiss Italian report of weakened virus. One explanation I didn't consider was a difference in who is tested--early on only the very sick were being tested so higher viral loads would be expected than if people with mild symptoms were tested.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...482_story.html

Lancet study shows that HCW's should be using N95's, not surgical masks. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/01/h...gtype=Homepage
    If HCW's why not everyone else? Unfortunately the lack of a federal response to greatly ramp up N95 production means that HCW's and ordinary citizens will continue to die unnecessarily. Coronagate.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    If you're downwind, you mean? It does a little but it's also important to note that dilution happens both with time and distance. Particles don't travel straight, they bounce off each other and twirl in little eddies, so a cloud of them won't just move downwind without dispersing somewhat. And of course growing with time, and a larger volume means a lower concentration. (That's the biggest driver for distance recommendations, I would assume, since a sphere of stuff becomes less concentrated with the cube of its radius/distance from the source.)
    I have a huge yard, but it’s mostly already full of plants, and a huge portion is very shaded. The best most sunny area to grow veggies is directly in front of the window he put the exhaust port in. The plants wiggle in the breeze. One good area is as far as 15 feet away, but one area I wanted to expand to is only 3 feet away.
    The fact he’s a pharmacist isn’t easing my concerns at all.
    I could ask him to pick a different window, or attach a hose to it.
    Don’t really wanna deal with it. Don’t wanna get sick.

I have a huge yard, but it’s mostly already full of plants, and a huge portion is very shaded. The best most sunny area to grow veggies is directly in front of the window he put the exhaust port in. The plants wiggle in the breeze. One good area is as far as 15 feet away, but one area I wanted to expand to is only 3 feet away.
    The fact he’s a pharmacist isn’t easing my concerns at all.
    I could ask him to pick a different window, or attach a hose to it.
    Don’t really wanna deal with it. Don’t wanna get sick.
    I'm sure there are people here who know better than me, but I wouldn't worry much about a spot with full sun getting moist/warm air from a swamp cooler. UV and time for the plants. Otherwise, how often are you and he both standing at your respective ends of this flow at the same time? If you wash your veggies as well as the ones I'm buying at the store I think you're safer than me.

Based on the current new cycle, I think this pandemic is over... everyone has moved on.

@jono, not worried about the plants at all, worried about me huffing his house fumes while I’m there working daily. Will be at least half hour or more per day 7 days a week. I would think if he hypothetically got cofefe, he would not need to be home or standing there to have virus air being ported out with velocity.
    (And also just even getting a common cold in this crazy time would be a major setback)
    One minute the concern seems crazy the next it seems real.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Based on the current new cycle, I think this pandemic is over... everyone has moved on.
    Yep. Meanwhile, the virus is like "Hey, street riots, hold my beer"